ADVERTISEMENT

How much of the horrific shooting is lack of talent...

Dec 9, 2014
...and how much of it is mental? I have to believe that Archie has stressed free-throw shooting and shooting in general. I have to believe that they’ve focused on it and practiced it repeatedly. Maybe too much? Should he bring in a sports psychologist? I usually scoff at that kind of crap, but I’m at a total loss here...

Reactions: RunninRichie
I disagree with that. For instance, I don’t think Alford was Jay Edwards. He molded himself into a great shooter.
I think Alford was a natural shooter if there ever was one. I'm sure he worked hard at it. If everybody could throw 95, they would all be in the major leagues.

...and how much of it is mental? I have to believe that Archie has stressed free-throw shooting and shooting in general. I have to believe that they’ve focused on it and practiced it repeatedly. Maybe too much? Should he bring in a sports psychologist? I usually scoff at that kind of crap, but I’m at a total loss here...

To steal from and to paraphrase from a great philosopher, ninety percent of the game is half mental.

I think Alford was a natural shooter if there ever was one. I'm sure he worked hard at it. If everybody could throw 95, they would all be in the major leagues.

Not if they don't throw strikes.

The minors are filled with guys who throw 95+, but can't make it because they don't have accuracy.

Much like IU, and a lot of other teams, are filled with guys who are fast, can jump, but just can't seem to put the ball in the hoop with consistent accuracy.

I disagree with that. For instance, I don’t think Alford was Jay Edwards. He molded himself into a great shooter.

I don't think Edwards was Steve Alford, and Edwards was smooth as silk. Geesh never thought I'd see someone call Alford a workingman's shooter. He was a frigging assassin.

Reactions: Lucy01
To answer the original poster- Miller is 1.) Not recruiting shooters, and 2.) Running what I call a confrontational offense. He likes the grind and taking it to you. That's great if you have Jimmy Butler and Ron Attest. Not so good if you have a bunch of little guys.
Andre Miller for Illinois is looking like Robert Vaden meets AJ Guyton, and in the meantime IU gets a 17 year old 81st ranked point guard who can't shoot and everyone wonders why Indiana was picked 10th. (And yes, Lander is the 81st ranked player in RSCI).

Not if they don't throw strikes.

The minors are filled with guys who throw 95+, but can't make it because they don't have accuracy.

Much like IU, and a lot of other teams, are filled with guys who are fast, can jump, but just can't seem to put the ball in the hoop with consistent accuracy.
Agreed. A pitcher is never going to have a shot without the natural ability to throw 95, though. Consistency is the key, and that comes from honing one's craft.

The really weird thing is Archie is a hell of a shooter. You would think he would be able to spot a shooter as well as anything.

Our guards rush three's..It looks more like a throw than a shot ..
Except Durham .He looked comfortable..
Now he's out..And from the look of that ankle. He's gone for awhile .

He should've brought in a shooting coach or an assistant specializing in offense after Flint left. Almost everyone could see the major flaws of the team the last few years. Creans weakness was defense and taking care of the ball. He didn't address it and he is gone now. Even Beilein swallowed his pride at Michigan and brought in a defensive assistant.

Miller needed to run something to get his guards open mid range shots throughout the Texas game. He didn't come up with anything and they kept trying to force it through well guarded bigs. He needs to recognize that his team's can't shoot and try something that gets them catch and shoot looks off of cuts through the middle.
Too many of their shots are either contested or outside 20 feet.

It's bizarre to me we can't hit our damn FTs. I don't think you have to be Rick Mount or Steve Alford to shoot 70+%. We seem to clank them like it's annoying that we even have to shoot them.

It's bizarre to me we can't hit our damn FTs. I don't think you have to be Rick Mount or Steve Alford to shoot 70+%. We seem to clank them like it's annoying that we even have to shoot them.
You don't. My high school's coach wouldn't play you if you couldn't shoot at least 70% for FT's.

You have to recruit shooters. If they can't shoot 3s in high school, they're sure as hell not going to be able to shoot them in college, when the speed of the game increases considerably.

That being said, not all high school shooters can adapt to the college game.

But seriously, IU needs to recruit guys for their shooting. Looking at Brandon Newman playing today made me see why he was consistently said to be a good shooter while IU and PU were recruiting him. He looks like a natural shooter at this point. The team they played was horrible, but a shooter is a shooter.

The one recruit we got who was said was to be shooter was Leal. He may turn out to be a very good player, but he seems to have the slowest shot in colllege basketball. I'm sure that he doesn't, but he obviously needs to make adjustments to consistently get that shot off in college basketball.

If any player seemed like a great candidate for a redshirt, it's him.

Reactions: Bill4411
Last year Green saved our butts we need somebody to step up or it will be a long season . I haven't seen Leal play much but I like his form on his shot and I like Galloway's shot.

Guys that cant shoot, not sure how much of it Lefty's? Larry Bird shot from behind his head and was one of a kind but damn shooting from the elbow? I taught myself to shoot better!

Guys that cant shoot, not sure how much of it Lefty's? Larry Bird shot from behind his head and was one of a kind but damn shooting from the elbow? I taught myself to shoot better!
Keith Wilkes had a very weird shot but he was deadly.

I remember Yogi having a lot of perimeter shooting woes early in his freshman season. He was something like 1 for his first 10 or 12 3-point attempts. I think he finished his freshman year around 30% behind the arc. But he finished his career around 40%.

So I'm sure there's some adjustment to the faster pace, the tighter D, etc. But I don't know how our older guys can cite that excuse.

Our guards rush three's..It looks more like a throw than a shot ..
Except Durham .He looked comfortable..
Now he's out..And from the look of that ankle. He's gone for awhile .

In this particular game, there were many rushed/bad outside shots, other than by Durham. As for Al, every drive he takes to the basket he ends up on his ass. His degree of difficulty is high.

In this particular game, there were many rushed/bad outside shots, other than by Durham. As for Al, every drive he takes to the basket he ends up on his ass. His degree of difficulty is high.
I love Al's willingness to drive to the hoop, but he's not Yogi. Yogi was built like a fullback. Al is built like a cross country runner. The laws of physics are against him when he drives the lane. F= M x A. Al is severely lacking with the "M".

I totally don't get it. I'm almost 50 and my game is gone, but I still find it easy to hit a 3 from well beyond where you'd be heavily guarded than anything midrange, these kids just don't seem to be able to do that and want to miss contested shots

I love Al's willingness to drive to the hoop, but he's not Yogi. Yogi was built like a fullback. Al is built like a cross country runner. The laws of physics are against him when he drives the lane. F= M x A. Al is severely lacking with the "M".

Half the time he's at a 45* angle when ends up shooting.....it's physically impossible for him to land on his feet. You have to credit him for his courage, but it's just one more weird thing about this program right now.

Last year Green saved our butts we need somebody to step up or it will be a long season . I haven't seen Leal play much but I like his form on his shot and I like Galloway's shot.

not sure why you like Galloways shot? he has a fundamental flaw to his release at the top of his shot. can't understand why his dad didn't correct it long ago. i do like the rest of his game.

Reactions: Hatchets7times

Kids haven't been taught how to shoot properly for some time.

When I coached AAU we called it the ESPN syndrome where it was all about dunks and spectacular plays. Fundamentals of dribbling, passing and shooting were fading. We were having to reteach these fundamentals to middle then high school players and they didn't love it.

How Lander got to this point with those mechanics is mind boggling.

Steve had excellent coaching from the cradle from his Father (Sam) and his Uncle (Scott)...both were excellent shooters

What a stupid f*****g thread ................ lol

IU just put up 1.2 per possession with a 58% EFG% including 33% from 3, on the number 8 defense in the country and some hillbilly ignorant slack jaw was complaining about shooting ..

How do people become this stupid? Seriously, how?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT