ADVERTISEMENT

How many ships do we have left

Anybody know who we might get .

My guess (and that's all it is) is 5... Could be completely wrong on that...

My other "guess" is that the 5 will be made up of 2 more High School guys and 3 more Transfer Portal guys but once again could be wrong (and most likely am [no "Inside" sources at this end]...)...

Or..., we could have only 2 left...,(( I've completely lost track at this point...)).., in which case, I think we bring in 1 more HS player and 1 more Transfer...

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
If IU feels it is in position to chase a Big Ten championship (and it should feel that way), it needs to lean heavily into the transfer portal. This is the year to strike and the Hoosiers need as many good veterans as possible.

Anybody know who we might get .
If this is in reference to National Signing Day in February, I am anticipating zero signers. I think CTA has raised the program's talent level to a point where there are very few remaining players in the 2021 class that the staff has been involved with and would be takes. Could see them taking a flyer on one (two tops) but my reading of CTA's comments is that they are going to wait until spring and see who is available to fill two or three spots.

My guess (and that's all it is) is 5... Could be completely wrong on that...

My other "guess" is that the 5 will be made up of 2 more High School guys and 3 more Transfer Portal guys but once again could be wrong (and most likely am [no "Inside" sources at this end]...)...

Or..., we could have only 2 left...,(( I've completely lost track at this point...)).., in which case, I think we bring in 1 more HS player and 1 more Transfer...

There's no way we have 5....

If i were to guess, I think we're closer to the 2 number.

I'm not entirely sure we bring in another high school player at this point. With players entering the portal every day, we may see who all enters and just stick with that. Bennett, the wide receiver
high school kid from Bama, is supposedly high on us, but do we take him, or do we go after a kid like TJ Jones, who we tried to get and who liked us a lot in the 2019 class, ultimately chose Penn State, just went into the portal and is probably more ready to help us next year and won't have to sit out next year.

Those are the decisions that the staff will have to make. Now that kids don't have to sit, this has basically turned into the wild west of a off-season.

There's no way we have 5....

If i were to guess, I think we're closer to the 2 number.

I'm not entirely sure we bring in another high school player at this point. With players entering the portal every day, we may see who all enters and just stick with that. Bennett, the wide receiver
high school kid from Bama, is supposedly high on us, but do we take him, or do we go after a kid like TJ Jones, who we tried to get and who liked us a lot in the 2019 class, ultimately chose Penn State, just went into the portal and is probably more ready to help us next year and won't have to sit out next year.

Those are the decisions that the staff will have to make. Now that kids don't have to sit, this has basically turned into the wild west of a off-season.

It's a tough call who can better handle the competition: new transfers or HS recruits? Does it cause others to leave? But I think we are about 2-3 max left as well and think if not in love with a super talented HS player, keep the powder dry for possible grad transfers.

I agree with you on that you probably save the scholarships for transfers at this point.

Most impact high schools kids have signed already. With not really having any idea how many scholarships schools are going to have next year, probably best to not get crazy with them this year and see how the portal plays out and see what immediate help emerges.

I'd also add that it would be nieve to think that we might have some additional turnover as well. Bringing in more transfers means more competition. Not saying it will happen, but it definitely could. The culture that CTA has built here is definitely a plus, but in the end, kids want to play, so if they see that they may not, they are going to find a path to playing time.

Just part of the game now.

Will this lead to a recruiting boon for JUCO's? You would think there are a BUNCH of kids getting passed over this recruiting cycle. There will probably be a bunch of G5 upperclassmen looking for a ticket to P5. I would think that P5 seniors would graduate before dropping to play a fifth year.

Will this lead to a recruiting boon for JUCO's? You would think there are a BUNCH of kids getting passed over this recruiting cycle. There will probably be a bunch of G5 upperclassmen looking for a ticket to P5. I would think that P5 seniors would graduate before dropping to play a fifth year.

I truly think that kind campus visits are hurting juco recruiting, since juco kids have baggage attached to them part of the time.

I could definitely see them as being tougher to connect with outside of campus visits. That's too bad.

I agree.

I remember that CTA said during his presser during I think signing day that we were able to get the majority of our class on campus before everything shut down.
Definitely easier to recruit when kids can see the beauty of B-town in person then on zoom.

I agree with you on that you probably save the scholarships for transfers at this point.

Most impact high schools kids have signed already. With not really having any idea how many scholarships schools are going to have next year, probably best to not get crazy with them this year and see how the portal plays out and see what immediate help emerges.

I'd also add that it would be nieve to think that we might have some additional turnover as well. Bringing in more transfers means more competition. Not saying it will happen, but it definitely could. The culture that CTA has built here is definitely a plus, but in the end, kids want to play, so if they see that they may not, they are going to find a path to playing time.

Just part of the game now.
We did recently offer ‘21 WR Keithron Lee who is committed to Texas, but his commit was to Tom Herman before he was fired.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT