ADVERTISEMENT

Hospital pricing

Marvin the Martian

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2001
Mark Cuban paid for a study to determine if online prices, as now required by federal law, are accurate. The answer of course is no. The study compared 2 types of services by comparing online price with phone price. Results were often dramatically different. To try and make sure it was apples-to-apples, they used the specific billing code when calling.

Mark Cuban paid for a study to determine if online prices, as now required by federal law, are accurate. The answer of course is no. The study compared 2 types of services by comparing online price with phone price. Results were often dramatically different. To try and make sure it was apples-to-apples, they used the specific billing code when calling.

I’m sure you are aware but anyone that has looked at an EOB can tell the pricing is a joke.

Billed $3,200, amount paid by your insurance $0, the amount you may owe your provider $63.38.

It's crazy how under or unenforced this is.

Average Joe cannot afford an attorney. Unless you're saying this type of litigation will be free to the average Joe?
Average Joes use contingent-fee lawyers like me for these types of things.

Pass a fee shifting provision so that if you identify and bring a claim and win, the defendant pays the attorneys fees. Could also have a statutory fine for advertised vs. charged fees and maybe a state law voiding the enforceability of the responsibility clauses healthcare providers make their patients sign before a procedure (and before revealing the price).

These fixes are easy. That they aren't introduced is a testament to the power and money of the healthcare lobby.

@mcmurtry66 - Brad found you a new legal focus
Misery. Hi Pete. Glad to have you on board. Where’d you go to law ahhhhhh forget it I don’t really care hahahahahaha. It’s true. Anywho Paul we currently have 4,337 pending personal injury cases. I want you to pull the bills from all of them and match them against the hospital’s website prices. Highlight every time you see a difference. Thanks. And pat I need that by Friday before you leave

• Haha
Reactions: BradStevens

Pass a fee shifting provision so that if you identify and bring a claim and win, the defendant pays the attorneys fees. Could also have a statutory fine for advertised vs. charged fees and maybe a state law voiding the enforceability of the responsibility clauses healthcare providers make their patients sign before a procedure (and before revealing the price).

These fixes are easy. That they aren't introduced is a testament to the power and money of the healthcare lobby.

Don’t you think this is likely already available under merchandising acts claims

Pill Merchant Marc Cuban funding studies to promote his own business.

What happened to that guy? I used to be proud he was an alum.

Misery. Hi Pete. Glad to have you on board. Where’d you go to law ahhhhhh forget it I don’t really care hahahahahaha. It’s true. Anywho Paul we currently have 4,337 pending personal injury cases. I want you to pull the bills from all of them and match them against the hospital’s website prices. Highlight every time you see a difference. Thanks. And pat I need that by Friday before you leave

Class action suits mcM... that's where the money be

Reactions: BradStevens
Pill Merchant Marc Cuban funding studies to promote his own business.

What happened to that guy? I used to be proud he was an alum.
That's not what this is about at all. The prices surveyed were for medical SERVICES, not meds.

At the very least Cuban's Cost Plus Drugs added competition to the pharmaceutical industry. Seems like a good thing do me.

That's not what this is about at all. The prices surveyed were for medical SERVICES, not meds.

At the very least Cuban's Cost Plus Drugs added competition to the pharmaceutical industry. Seems like a good thing do me.
I don't think it's any better than GoodRx

if only someone could figure out a better way, where everyone could be covered 100% and at half the cost we are now paying.

and do so in a way that doesn't totally screw up all hiring, staffing, and world competitiveness, in literally every US industry and business regardless of size.

oh yeah, the entire rest of the industrialized world figured this out long ago, and proved it beyond question, just as our own govt also knew the answer decades ago.

but as you pointed out, it's not personal, just business.

Reactions: mrhighlife

Eliminate PBMs and the price comes down fairly quickly.

Reactions: Bloom.
I don't think it's any better than GoodRx
GoodRx is a scam but it’s a scam that wouldn’t be needed if PBMs were eliminated.

When your father or grandfather (depending on our ages) would go to the pharmacy he would pay for his meds and turn in a universal claim form to be reimbursed. A lot of the pharmacies even provided the billing service for their patients. Humulin N and Humulin R were $18-$22 a vial and available OTC.

Now the pharmacies are stuck with terrible contracts (AWP -17% plus a $1) and wait 14 days to get reimbursed.

The elephant in the room is if customers had to pay up front for their meds…the price would be a fraction of the cost. Why? Because the drug companies want to sell their product….

Reactions: Spartans9312
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT