ADVERTISEMENT

Hoosier Huddle

Jssanto

All-American
Feb 15, 2019
New Orleans
I am not trying to plug these guys, I don’t even know who they are. But I have been reading their “IU opponents summaries” articles.
So far it looks like our first two games are against weaker teams. If we are an improved team I believe we could win big twice. Perhaps score more than 30 and give up fewer than 10.
I assumed we would lose game three on the road at UCLA. But in just reading that article, we may have a much better chance at a W than I thought. Tough game- big school, road game, west coast time zone, long flight, etc. But rather than an old IU 40-3 loss we may have a chance to fly home 3-0.
Not sure when fall practice starts, but for those of us who still live close enough to tailgate (I am 5 states away) have fun.

I am not trying to plug these guys, I don’t even know who they are. But I have been reading their “IU opponents summaries” articles.
So far it looks like our first two games are against weaker teams. If we are an improved team I believe we could win big twice. Perhaps score more than 30 and give up fewer than 10.
I assumed we would lose game three on the road at UCLA. But in just reading that article, we may have a much better chance at a W than I thought. Tough game- big school, road game, west coast time zone, long flight, etc. But rather than an old IU 40-3 loss we may have a chance to fly home 3-0.
Not sure when fall practice starts, but for those of us who still live close enough to tailgate (I am 5 states away) have fun.
This is Deshaun Foster's first year as a head coach. They probably have a talent advantage but I think cig's experience would help have us better prepared.

Some UCLA observations:
- New head coach, a first time head coach
- New offensive coordinator is Eric Bieniemy, so a good OC...but has been in NFL since 2012 so could be a bit of an adjustment dealing with average talent college players
- New defensive coordinator internal promotion
=> the lack of experience coaching together tends to be a negative, especially early in the season...not insurmountable, but glad that is the case
- returning their starting QB so a +, sounds like a good game manager who makes good decisions (i.e., few turnovers), not athletic, no big arm
- Top 3 receivers return
- Experienced OL, but they had a tough time with pass protection last year
- Sent 2 DEs to the NFL...difficult to replace
- LBs look good
- Used portal upgrade DB group
- They have one game before we play, a road game at Hawaii on August 31st...so they will have had 2 weeks to work out the kinks in practice before playing us
- They play LSU the week after us, so quite likely many players will be looking past us

They definitely look beatable

Some UCLA observations:
- New offensive coordinator is Eric Bieniemy, so a good OC...but has been in NFL since 2012 so could be a bit of an adjustment dealing with average talent college players
=> the lack of experience coaching together tends to be a negative, especially early in the season...not insurmountable, but glad that is the case
- returning their starting QB so a +, sounds like a good game manager who makes good decisions (i.e., few turnovers), not athletic, no big arm
- Top 3 receivers return
- LBs look good
- They have one game before we play, a road game at Hawaii on August 31st...so they will have had 2 weeks to work out the kinks in practice before playing us
- They play LSU the week after us, so quite likely many players will be looking past us

2 weeks prep time seems a big advantage to me.
The newness of the coaches could help us.

Some UCLA observations:
- Top 3 receivers return
- LBs look good

I see this as a Really Tough game... They'll want to make a statement by winning their first team official Big Ten game...

They were good thru the last half of the season last Fall on Offense after they settled on a QB and were very good on D all season... Fortunately for us they sent two key defensive players to the NFL but they did replace them with a couple of other decent players via the Portal so their D is expected to be good to very good again (even with a new DC)...

Our best hope is that our new staff is functioning better than their new staff this early in the season... On paper I think it appears they out talent us but if we function better as a TEAM we'll have a solid chance...

D Coord Info:

Starting QB Info:

I see this as a Really Tough game... They'll want to make a statement by winning their first team official Big Ten game...

They were good thru the last half of the season last Fall on Offense after they settled on a QB and were very good on D all season... Fortunately for us they sent two key defensive players to the NFL but they did replace them with a couple of other decent players via the Portal so their D is expected to be good to very good again (even with a new DC)...

Our best hope is that our new staff is functioning better than their new staff this early in the season... On paper I think it appears they out talent us but if we function better as a TEAM we'll have a solid chance...

D Coord Info:

Starting QB Info:

Thanks. Nice articles.

Reactions: red hornet and 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT