ADVERTISEMENT

Heyward!!!

dusto nomo

Hall of Famer
Sep 10, 2001
U2PL5D6.gif

Reactions: HOOS13R
That lineup is great...
Rizzo, Schwarber, Russell, Zobrist, Heyward. Who are you batting around? Figure things out with Baez and Soler... You have serious power in Rizzo and Schwarber and hitters in Zob and Heyward

Completely forgot kris Bryant

Last edited:
I'm Captain Obvious with this statement, but holy crap are they going to be good. It doesn't guarantee anything, but they're going to be tremendous and really, really fun to watch. Expectations are going to be through the roof, as they should be. I wish I'd have upgraded my nights and weekends season ticket package to the full season when I had the chance. And can you say

upgrayedd2.jpg

Ennhhh . . . remember, two teams with pretty good front office management didn't think Heyward was worth what the Cubs paid. I waited for years for Heyward to break out to hit up to his potential . . . and gave up on him.

Maybe Wrigley's exactly the right place for him. Maybe the Cubs' lineup will provide all the protection he'll ever need . . . but I wouldn't be cheering at this point, unless you want him solely for his defense . . . .

In the meantime, the Bravos picked up a servicable outfielder, a really good young arm, plus the 2015 first overall pick for the guy that they got in exchange for Heyward.

Good luck with Heyward; hope it works out better for him and y'all than it did in the ATL and St. Louis.

I'm Captain Obvious with this statement, but holy crap are they going to be good. It doesn't guarantee anything, but they're going to be tremendous and really, really fun to watch. Expectations are going to be through the roof, as they should be. I wish I'd have upgraded my nights and weekends season ticket package to the full season when I had the chance. And can you say

upgrayedd2.jpg

But the Cubs are young, really young...like every year their young. Like the roster turns over every year young. How do I build a team with a young roster repeatedly getting turned over? We have no expectations Hoosi...errr, Cubs fans.

upgrayedd2.jpg
Spelled with two DD for a "double dose of pimpin"

Reactions: PtownHoosier
But the Cubs are young, really young...like every year their young. Like the roster turns over every year young. How do I build a team with a young roster repeatedly getting turned over? We have no expectations Hoosi...errr, Cubs fans.
Bryant, Russell, Schwarber, Rizzo, Heyward and others all under the age of 26
That means stacked for the foreseeable future

Ennhhh . . . remember, two teams with pretty good front office management didn't think Heyward was worth what the Cubs paid. I waited for years for Heyward to break out to hit up to his potential . . . and gave up on him.

Maybe Wrigley's exactly the right place for him. Maybe the Cubs' lineup will provide all the protection he'll ever need . . . but I wouldn't be cheering at this point, unless you want him solely for his defense . . . .

In the meantime, the Bravos picked up a servicable outfielder, a really good young arm, plus the 2015 first overall pick for the guy that they got in exchange for Heyward.

Good luck with Heyward; hope it works out better for him and y'all than it did in the ATL and St. Louis.
It will actually be interesting to see the terms of the deal. I'd almost bet that either the Cards or more likely Washington offered more than the Cubs did. And if Heyward's offensive production improves then it will be an even better deal, but the guy already was a 6.5 WAR player this year. He's a hell of a player as is based on advanced metrics.

Ennhhh . . . remember, two teams with pretty good front office management didn't think Heyward was worth what the Cubs paid.

That's such a flawed statement.

The Cardinals were likely offering Heyward a number very much similar to what the Cubs offered. And his stint with the Cardinals went well.

This isn't correct. He turned down bigger $ to sign with the Cubs.

Reactions: IU-Curmudgeon
It will actually be interesting to see the terms of the deal. I'd almost bet that either the Cards or more likely Washington offered more than the Cubs did. And if Heyward's offensive production improves then it will be an even better deal, but the guy already was a 6.5 WAR player this year. He's a hell of a player as is based on advanced metrics.

Nationals offered about $200MM and Cards didn't offer as much. What's interesting about this deal is it includes not 1, but 2 opt outs. First one is after 3rd year of contract. No idea if other clubs were willing to give him that. So it will be interesting to see the year-by-year salary breakdown b/c that will have a lot to do with the likelihood of him using the opt outs.

Cards offer was 8yr deal for 168, with one opt out clause, after he turned 30. Apparently, Matheny did something or said something to Heyward that really ticked him off. This is all rumored from sports talk radio, so no idea if that was indeed the offer or Mathtardy did really offend Heyward.

Hmmm, would you rather play for Madden for a better deal or Matheny. Hmmm. I like this is less money the Chubs have for resigning their talented trio. I like another draft pick for the Cards. I don't like that the Cards seemingly talk about spending money, but get outbid for both Price and Heyward.

Nationals offered about $200MM and Cards didn't offer as much. What's interesting about this deal is it includes not 1, but 2 opt outs. First one is after 3rd year of contract. No idea if other clubs were willing to give him that. So it will be interesting to see the year-by-year salary breakdown b/c that will have a lot to do with the likelihood of him using the opt outs.
The first opt out tells me that Theo sees the immediate window for winning the World Series as three years. Or maybe it's just the time frame for developing their own all star caliber center fielder, likely Almora. All I know is that Heyward is a hell of a player and is a substantial upgrade over Dexter Fowler.

Cards offer was 8yr deal for 168, with one opt out clause, after he turned 30. Apparently, Matheny did something or said something to Heyward that really ticked him off. This is all rumored from sports talk radio, so no idea if that was indeed the offer or Mathtardy did really offend Heyward.

Hmmm, would you rather play for Madden for a better deal or Matheny. Hmmm. I like this is less money the Chubs have for resigning their talented trio. I like another draft pick for the Cards. I don't like that the Cards seemingly talk about spending money, but get outbid for both Price and Heyward.

Cubs will have their own network by the time those guys come up for big $. Look at the $ the D-Backs are splashing, and the Cubs network will be way, way more valuable than that. Especialyl if they win big. They'll be more than fine in terms of $.

. And if Heyward's offensive production improves then it will be an even better deal, but the guy already was a 6.5 WAR player this year. He's a hell of a player as is based on advanced metrics.

I agree. Heyward's defense really helped the Cards last season, and he led the team in steals. People are put off by his lack of big numbers, but his overall presence on a team is fantastic. Like Zobrist, he is one of those intangibles guys. Love the guy. The only thing to hate about the Cubs is their retarded Bro-drunk-tard fan base. Present company excluded, obviously.

Not sure Heyward is worth all of that praise either. I guess we shall see.

Cubs will have their own network by the time those guys come up for big $. Look at the $ the D-Backs are splashing, and the Cubs network will be way, way more valuable than that. Especialyl if they win big. They'll be more than fine in terms of $.

Every team is doing this, so contract prices will skyrocket. The Cards owner, unlike the owners of the Cubs and Diamondbacks, apparently to this point intends to pocket the $1 billion deal the Cards just signed.

Reactions: Orbit7958
You misspelled Bryant.

Or Rizzo.

Or Russell.

Or Schwarber.

Holy crap they're loaded.
I just can't believe the power in this lineup. It's ridiculous.
Russell, Heyward, Zobrist, Rizzo, Bryant, Schwarber, Soler, Montero
I mean, seriously. That's crazy.

The first opt out tells me that Theo sees the immediate window for winning the World Series as three years. Or maybe it's just the time frame for developing their own all star caliber center fielder, likely Almora. All I know is that Heyward is a hell of a player and is a substantial upgrade over Dexter Fowler.

No it's clear the time to win is now b/c their rotation is solid now but is questionable down the road. This is why I still expect them to move Soler and/or Baez and try to get a mid-rotation starter in return. They were trying to get Shelby Miller with Soler, but the Braves wanted Bryant in the discussion. Cubs front office wasn't that crazy (although Arizona's was), but I still expect them to make more pitching moves than signing Lackey.

Yeah, about that:
@Ken_Rosenthal: Per @dgoold, #STLCards’ offer was higher than #Cubs.

Yeah about that, I don't believe a word Rosenthal says, ever. His source is probably Cards GM who has egg on face for trading Shelby Miller for one year of Heyward.

Until Derrick Goold tells me otherwise I am going with what Bernie Miskalsz says.

Yeah about that, I don't believe a word Rosenthal says, ever. His source is probably Cards GM who has egg on face for trading Shelby Miller for one year of Heyward.

Until Derrick Goold tells me otherwise I am going with what Bernie Miskalsz says.

Jon Heyman also reporting as is ESPN. You sound like Karl Rove on election night 2012.

Rosenthal quoted that guy...your reading comprehension not working today?

Reactions: Scottland

Derrick Goold just tweeted the Cards total contract was worth more. Is that sufficient, or are you waiting by the phone for his personal phone call?

Reactions: Scottland
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT