ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Marv. . . And others.

CO. Hoosier

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2001
Here is the Obit of the greatest friend Rocky Mountain National Park ever had.

I knew Jim quite well and he is, now was, one of my favorite people. I lost contact in the last few years and am sorry I didn’t know of his final illness. I own two of his original paintings and one signed print. He will live on with me. Jim was a committed Democrat and we frequently discussed politics, back in the day when political discussions were fun. We found so much common ground that Jim said I should be a Democrat and I told him he should be a Republican.

Jim was also a serious bicycle rider. He never did any thing half way. He bicycled from the Colorado Wyoming border to the Colorado New Mexico border in 24 hours. He tried to get me to join him but, I dunno, I should have. He was on top of Longs peak in every month of the year. He climbed every named peak in RMNP over a 48 hour period.

Earlier today Brad asked what we are thankful for. Jim is one part of my life I am thankful for. Just wanted to share him with the board. Everyone would have liked him.

I knew Jim quite well and he is, now was, one of my favorite people. I lost contact in the last few years and am sorry I didn’t know of his final illness. I own two of his original paintings and one signed print. He will live on with me. Jim was a committed Democrat and we frequently discussed politics, back in the day when political discussions were fun. We found so much common ground that Jim said I should be a Democrat and I told him he should be a Republican.

Jim was also a serious bicycle rider. He never did any thing half way. He bicycled from the Colorado Wyoming border to the Colorado New Mexico border in 24 hours. He tried to get me to join him but, I dunno, I should have. He was on top of Longs peak in every month of the year. He climbed every named peak in RMNP over a 48 hour period.

Earlier today Brad asked what we are thankful for. Jim is one part of my life I am thankful for. Just wanted to share him with the board. Everyone would have liked him.
Sorry for your loss, he sounds like he was a real good guy. I don't know if I have seen any of his work other than the centennial poster in that story. I have seen it.

Over 90 trips up Long's is impressive.

Reactions: vesuvius13

I am glad he is part of your life before and after death. We all need someone like that in our lives.

I couldn’t do that kind of climbing. Hanging Lake / Royal Arch are really my limits in terms of altitude. Maybe it’s something you have to build up?

I couldn’t do that kind of climbing. Hanging Lake / Royal Arch are really my limits in terms of altitude. Maybe it’s something you have to build up?
I’ve never been into climbing. Hiking instead. I have bicycled some hairy roads though.

635731353418118758-STG-colorado-monument-0723-01.jpg

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Independence pass is 12,000+. I think I’ve ridden all the 11,000 ones. The more important variable is steepness and distance from start of climb to summit.
When I was a kid we used to play in the Pike's Peak tournament every year. Was brutal. Can't imagine cycling at those elevations

Independence pass is 12,000+. I think I’ve ridden all the 11,000 ones. The more important variable is steepness and distance from start of climb to summit.

True, but if you struggle to breathe in altitude (thanks Midwest), even a flat ride would be difficult.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT