ADVERTISEMENT

Help me with the timeline.

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
On Sunday November 26th Tom Allen was fired by Scott Dolson. Simultaneously Dolson announced that a national search would begin immediately. On November 30th it was announced that Indiana was finalizing a deal with its new football coach.

In a recent interview Cignetti said that the whole recruitment process took just three days and that he had had not even considered Indiana before he was approached about the Hoosier job.

So my question is: was the national recruitment effort a one day event?

• Sad
Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
On Sunday November 26th Tom Allen was fired by Scott Dolson. Simultaneously Dolson announced that a national search would begin immediately. On November 30th it was announced that Indiana was finalizing a deal with its new football coach.

In a recent interview Cignetti said that the whole recruitment process took just three days and that he had had not even considered Indiana before he was approached about the Hoosier job.

Obviously Scott had a short list several weeks before he finally decided to pull the plug on Allen

Obviously Scott had a short list several weeks before he finally decided to pull the plug on Allen
Yeah, but why the pretense of saying you're going to conduct a national search?

I imagine, like you, he had several names he was going after who he knew he could throw money at to come here. I'd bet Cig was at the top of that list.

You may be right but Dolson announced that Indiana would begin a national search on November 26th. At least that is what was reported that day in the papers.
We interviewed multiple candidates. Some were complimentary gestures in good faith.
The decision to term Allen was made weeks prior. That was just the official announcement date. Even Allen had near certainty it was coming.

Look on the bright side: at least Dolson didn’t just offer the position to someone at the water cooler.

How long does it take to make phone calls?

First morning by 10 am you're reached all of them, nationwide.

Probably by the end of the day they knew what their number one and two and third picks thought, starting talking deeper with them, and four days later ended up with one of them.

I don't read Dolson's timeline the same as OP. I don't see where it took one day. Took about three. Maybe by the 28th (the start of the third day) they started recruiting mainly Cignetti. On the third day (30th) he rose again, said yes, and they spent the afternoon in final term negotiations.

Or, from Cig himself it sounded as if the day they announced him contract wasn't signed yet, because at the initial press conferences he said some things he couldn't talk about yet until it was done.

Last edited:

Wait, are you implying someone in authority did not tell us the truth?

Reactions: vesuvius13
We interviewed multiple candidates. Some were complimentary gestures in good faith.
The decision to term Allen was made weeks prior. That was just the official announcement date. Even Allen had near certainty it was coming.

Look on the bright side: at least Dolson didn’t just offer the position to someone at the water cooler.
Much more nationwide than the officewide search last time around.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT