ADVERTISEMENT

Have any of you guys ever gotten onto the website called "World of Cards"

McNutt76

Hall of Famer
Sep 1, 2001
and played euchre? You can play with bots or you can play with people. I prefer to play with people.

Recently, my partner and I had a 9-8 lead. I was dealing, turned up a 10 of diamonds and planned to go a lone because one of our opponents had been a jerk.

Much to my surprise, the opponent on my left ordered it up. I already had the right, ace, king and queen of diamonds plus an ace of spades, so I picked it up and discarded the ace of spades.

As if that wasn't stupid enough, she led her 9 of diamonds. The other two players didn't have any diamonds, so I put my 10 of diamonds on it and proceeded to euchre her by taking all five tricks.

I have been playing euchre since I was in junior high and that has to be the dumbest incident I have ever seen in the red neck game.

and played euchre? You can play with bots or you can play with people. I prefer to play with people.

Recently, my partner and I had a 9-8 lead. I was dealing, turned up a 10 of diamonds and planned to go a lone because one of our opponents had been a jerk.

Much to my surprise, the opponent on my left ordered it up. I already had the right, ace, king and queen of diamonds plus an ace of spades, so I picked it up and discarded the ace of spades.

As if that wasn't stupid enough, she led her 9 of diamonds. The other two players didn't have any diamonds, so I put my 10 of diamonds on it and proceeded to euchre her by taking all five tricks.

I have been playing euchre since I was in junior high and that has to be the dumbest incident I have ever seen in the red neck game.
That sounds interesting. I visit a site where you play against the computer. I normally play yahtzee or rummy, but they have other games as well.

I figured you to be a bridge kinda guy.

My wife and I were in a bridge club for years, but not now. We currently are in a euchre club that plays once a month. It has 12 people in it and we take turns hosting it.

My wife and I were in a bridge club for years, but not now. We currently are in a euchre club that plays once a month. It has 12 people in it and we take turns hosting it.
I'm not a card player. Or even a game player, really. But I like Euchre and I'm pretty good at it. Miss playing, might check out that site you mentioned.

I'm not a card player. Or even a game player, really. But I like Euchre and I'm pretty good at it. Miss playing, might check out that site you mentioned.
I gave up euchre after my last stint in jail. I don't ever want to play the game again.

The local wine bar in my neighborhood down here in Rock Hill SC actually started a monthly euchre night, and it was so popular that they expanded it to twice a month. It got me playing again more frequently. Nice to be able to walk down and get to play some euchre and meet new people. They have about a dozen taps too, so they take are of beer drinkers too. Miss the local watering holes.

Reactions: Cream&Crimson
The local wine bar in my neighborhood down here in Rock Hill SC actually started a monthly euchre night, and it was so popular that they expanded it to twice a month. It got me playing again more frequently. Nice to be able to walk down and get to play some euchre and meet new people. They have about a dozen taps too, so they take are of beer drinkers too. Miss the local watering holes.
Single bid or double bid? Driving to Rock Hill might be worth a good game of double bid euchre.

It's been decades since I've played . . . I might be a little rusty . . . .

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Single bid or double bid? Driving to Rock Hill might be worth a good game of double bid euchre.

Sounds like you're a level above me... I don't know what single or double bid euchre even is and I've been playing for almost 40 years, but always with friends, not tournaments. Care to explain? These haven't been great competitve games, because each outing there are some newbies trying it for the first or second time. It's mostly for the social aspect. Since it's in my 'hood, it helps me meet neighbors and locals. If playing a casual game is of interest, then by all means come out when it's back open. I forget, where do you live? If you want a local option, maybe contact a likely bar or two and see if they'd consider doing the same. I think this place was surprised by the interest. Lots of midwesterners down here in the Carolinas.

Sounds like you're a level above me... I don't know what single or double bid euchre even is and I've been playing for almost 40 years, but always with friends, not tournaments. Care to explain? These haven't been great competitve games, because each outing there are some newbies trying it for the first or second time. It's mostly for the social aspect. Since it's in my 'hood, it helps me meet neighbors and locals. If playing a casual game is of interest, then by all means come out when it's back open. I forget, where do you live? If you want a local option, maybe contact a likely bar or two and see if they'd consider doing the same. I think this place was surprised by the interest. Lots of midwesterners down here in the Carolinas.
Double bid is when you use 2 euchre decks. The game isn't quite bridge, but it's a little more complicated and can be a nice change of pace when a single deck gets monotonous.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/323657/double-deck-bid-euchre

That said, I haven't played any sort of euchre in decades . . . MrsSope doesn't play cards much, and nobody in our area has ever heard of it.

Here's another site with "rules": https://www.pagat.com/euchre/bideuch.html The Hoosier Bid Euchre rules are what I sort of remember . . . although we could call "high no trump" or "low no trump", depending on what you had in your hand, just to make it interesting for those with "loser" hands.

Hoosier Bid Euchre
This version from Indiana, USA was contributed by Paul J. Welty

The deck is 40 cards: 2 decks of A-K-Q-J-10. It is usually played by 4 people, partners sitting opposite each other. The target score for winning the game is 32.

Each person is dealt 10 cards. Bid and play as in the general rules; bids are any number of tricks from 1 to 10 in a suit or "no trump". A bid of 10 is called "shooting the moon" and is worth 16 points rather than 10, won or lost. Above this is a bid to "shoot the moon alone". The bidder's partner does not take part and the bidder alone has to win all 10 tricks. Shooting the moon alone is worth 32 points.

There is a 3-player variation, using 32 cards: 2 decks of A-J. 10 cards are dealt as usual, but there are 2 left over cards called the kitty. The player who bids highest picks up the kitty cards without showing them to the other players and discards any two cards face down in their place, before leading to the first trick.

Other numbers of people may play by adjusting the deck size so that each gets 10 cards.

Last edited:
In college, we played a version of "double" euchre with two decks (9 thru ace, so 48 cards). Partners across from each other. The first four cards to each player are dealt face down on the table in front of them. The next four cards to each player are dealt face-up, and placed on top of the face-down cards. The last four cards dealt to each player are in their hands. So at the beginning of bids, you can see the 2/3 of your cards (4 face up in front of you and four in your hand) and 1/3 of your partner's cards (face up in front of him), and the totality of 1/3 of your opponent's cards (face up in front of them). Minimum bid is 6 (though you do not specify what suit you are picking until bidding is over), goes around only once (you obviously have to increase the bid by at least one, but can jump two if you are inclined), and dealer is screwed with a minimum 6 if nobody places a bid.

Point system is that if you make bid, you get the number of points equal to the number of tricks you took (so if we bid 6, but got a total of 8 tricks, we get 8 points) while the opponents get the number of tricks they took (from previous example, they would get 4 points for the remainder of the 12 total tricks). If you do NOT make bid (aka, get euchered), you go negative the number of what you bid (so if we bid 6, but only get 5 tricks, we get MINUS 6 points, while the opponents get +7). First team to make 42 points wins.

If the same card is played in the same trick, the first one played is considered "higher". So if I play the right, and my opponent to the left only has one trump, the other right, he has to play it and I win the trick because mine was played first. The face-up cards in front of you are considered part of you hand. So if I have an off-ace in my hand, took the last trick, and can see two of that same suit in front of my opponents, I am guaranteed to take that next trick. When you play a face-up card in front of you, after the trick is taken, you flip over the revealed face-down card.

It's a bit more fun than standard euchre because there is the same amount of skill but a bit more luck involved. It is not uncommon for someone to bid red and then all 8 cards flipped up by him and his partner be all black and they get Euched'.

I played a couple of days a week for about two years. Only once did I ever see a team get all twelve tricks (and they had bid 9).

Reactions: Sope Creek

When I was younger, every family holiday gathering had 2 games of double bid going. I'd never played anything but that when I showed up at IU. The idea of using a single deck with no bidding, just get 3 was so foreign to me.

30 years later, all the aunts & uncles that played double bid are long gone and I don't think I've played it since the 90s. I'd love to get into a regular game of that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT