ADVERTISEMENT

Hasta La Vista Larry Smith III

Big Red Crimson Buffalo

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2001
That one is a bit concerning as he was a fairly good recruit.
Guess he didn’t like his post-spring ball position in the depth chart. He probably thought he should be starting.
I wonder if some of this is a byproduct of our instant gratification youth? No willingness to put in more time to rise up the depth chart?

Last edited:
Guess he didn’t like his post-spring ball position in the depth chart. He probably thought he should be starting.
I wonder if some of this is a byproduct of our instant gratification youth? No willingness to put in more time to rise up the depth chart?
Could this have anything to do with NIL cash?

Let's see where he lands, I doubt he will find a home in the P5, based on the history of our young and unproven transfers, they tend to transfer down not up(Tim Baldwin, Jordyn Williams, and most recently Maurice Freeman). I really don't understand these young guys leaving P5 schools for GO5 schools. If your priority was PT(which is perfectly fine), why did you come to a P5 school in the first place. My only guess is he was passed by Monds on the depth chart. I'm far more impressed with the work ethic of the C/O 2022 than the C/O 2021, aside from the recruiting rankings, they seem more dedicated to their craft on SM. Hopefully they live up to the hype, if they do, then we'll probably see a ton of C/O 2021 departures as guys hop into the portal the second they find out the coach's believe someone younger than them is better.

I just wondered after I read this article.
NIL
I’m just waiting for the Superconference to form.

IU won’t be part of that. It will only be the really big athletic programs who want nothing to do with the academic restrictions. OSU, Bama, Oklahoma, Texas, Michigan.

To me it is the expected outcome of competition in the portal world. Somebody is going to get beat out. There is 1st string, 2nd string, 3rd string and bye.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I’m just waiting for the Superconference to form.

IU won’t be part of that. It will only be the really big athletic programs who want nothing to do with the academic restrictions. OSU, Bama, Oklahoma, Texas, Michigan.
I’m skeptical of a super conference forming because it means a lot of losses for some of these elite programs. No one will want the risk of being the super conference whipping boy. If they do try it, it will collapse within 5 years

Has anyone considered that most of these guys, having been at a P5 school/conference, know they aren't getting to the next level and, having grown up loving the game, just want to be on the field for the last 2-3 years they're ever going to get to play?
This kid is a redshirt freshman, he has four+ years of eligibility and has barely been at IU one year. It's one thing if he's rode the bench for three years, definitively been passed over and will never see the field except on special teams. I don't think any kid can objectively say they are in a situation where they know they won't see the field their entire career as a RS freshman, unless they know they received a pity offer, or they're a walk on.

I couldn't care less if he just wants to show up to and not stress about whether or not he will be seeing the field on Saturdays, he absolutely has the right to choose a school that offers him that ability. But if you don't want to compete, why go to a P5 school, save that scholarship for another talented kid who is willing to grind behind the scenes for a few years(like nearly every P5 starter used to do) and then plays their way into a starting role some time between their 3rd and fourth year, and starts for 1-3 years. I am all for veterans who won't see the field transferring. Ty Wise, James Miller, I get it, you're not going to be a starter here, go find a home where you can see the field for your last couple years of school, but that is not the case here.

The "love of the game" argument really doesn't hold any weight, I'm sure the freshman and sophomores that ride the bench next year because there are upperclassmen above them on the DC love the game just as much as this kid. I really hope we see more of guys like Beau Robbins next year, he's grinded on the bench for three years and had a ton of talent out of HS, we're seeing that those kids are few and far between in this era. If Smith wants to leave, he can leave, but we need to stop making excuses for these kids who transfer down at the first sign of rocky waters, there was no position coach change, no influx of transfers at his position, and he's not a RS junior or senior. He either doesn't believe he can win PT or doesn't want to even have to compete for PT at Indiana, why can't we call it like it is.

Last edited:
You could be correct. I believe he was a sophomore in years and a frosh in eligibility. However he would have played a lot even barring injury to starters.
Could be other reasons than play time.
Homesick, personality not meshing with coaches or teammates, not enough NIL money, other.

Indiana is a culture shock to some fellas.
This is more of a general post about my thoughts on the portal than a response, but I do respond briefly atthe beginning of my rant.

Bloomington is not Martinsville, and athletes mostly hang out with other athletes, who also came from OOS for the sole purpose of playing football. I really don't think it's a culture shock issue. In 90% of transfers they are PT, the culture in locker rooms now is one that inherently expects an inflow and outflow of players every year. Kid's do what they believe is best for them and generally they don't look back. For 50+ years kids have traveled far from home to play CFB, and up until 2019, we never saw any more or fewer kids transfer than the year prior. We never heard any complaints or rumors of players finding a "culture shock" with their new college teams, the adjustment seemingly was just like any other incoming college freshman. In fact, my cousin plays FCS football and he said he thought being a part of a team made the transition easier because he had friends built in to his experience from the second he stepped on campus.

Let's just call it what it is and stop pretending like magically in 2019, players became way more unsettled at their schools and decided to transfer at at a record shattering rate. Players transfer more now because the portal and one time transfer w/o sitting a year made it far easier for players to leave. The rule changes essentially got rid of the stigma around transferring in 1 year. Essentially the ability to transfer, caused more guys to transfer. Maybe these guys were always unsettled, and just now have been able to act on it by leaving. I still think there are plenty of kids who way overestimate their options when they enter the portal. The most staggering numbers I saw about the portal in a recent article were that only 54% of all kids who enter the portal actually enroll at another school and 33% don't find a new place to play. Just crazy numbers, of kids throwing away their scholarships because they had a bad few weeks at practice. NCAA needs to fix something but I'm done giving these kids the BOTD and saying "maybe they were homesick", because by and large, that's not why these kids are transferring.

If 54% of kids that enter portal enroll at a new school and 33% don't find a new place, then what happens to the other 13%?

It seems like there should only be those 2 options.

Has anyone considered that most of these guys, having been at a P5 school/conference, know they aren't getting to the next level and, having grown up loving the game, just want to be on the field for the last 2-3 years they're ever going to get to play?
You have a very valid point. I coached football for over 25 years and always stressed to my players who wanted to play football in college to make sure they should pick a place where they had a chance to get PT. I made sure they understood that their chances of enjoying their college experience would likely depend on how much they played. My son is now coaching and he makes sure that his players understand that as well.

If 54% of kids that enter portal enroll at a new school and 33% don't find a new place, then what happens to the other 13%?

It seems like there should only be those 2 options.

stay at the same school. I think most of those happen with a coaching change before players know the new coach, and want insurance in case they aren’t a fit with the new coach

There is a basketball player for the Miami Hurricanes who was playing for his fourth school. Charlie Moore is from Chicago, but went to California to start his career. When Cuonzo Martin left there to go Missouri, Moore transferred to Memphis. When there was a coaching change there he went to Kansas for two years, sitting out the first season. Then it was on to DePaul, but when the coach was fired then he changed to Miami. Quite a journey for him.

Did anyone in their right minds think he was gonna start over Mullen or Williams?

I would argue he was probably behind a healthy Keys as well coming back.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Did anyone in their right minds think he was gonna start over Mullen or Williams?

I would argue he was probably behind a healthy Keys as well coming back.
I don’t disagree. He wasn’t going to start this year or play significant minutes but he might have broken in as a starter in the next year or two with guys leaving. He didn’t want to stick around, obviously.

Or maybe he thought that there were more pluses than minuses for him to transfer - for whatever reaon

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT