ADVERTISEMENT

Has a coach ever recovered from consecutive disastrous years?

IUninethree

All-American
Dec 7, 2010
Indianapolis
2015-20 was a nice run. Four bowls in six years. Unprecedented stuff for IU. Finishing a season in the top 20? Ridiculous heights for the program.

Now we have a 2-10 season in the rearview mirror and look to be on our way to a 3-9 record. I'd love to be hopeful, but if you can't put up more than 14 offensive points on the worst defense in the conference, things are not going to get easier.

Has there ever been a coach at a Power 5 level program who was able to yank a program back from consecutive disastrous seasons to being competitive? I'm not talking having a 5 win season or two sandwiched between consecutive bowl years. I mean going from a ranked team to a 2-3 win team in multiple years, and returning to competitiveness.

Because right now I'm thinking we're on a slippery slope that won't stop until we have a new regime in charge. There's something fundamentally broken about this program and I don't think we have the people in place to fix it.

Unfortunately we have a coach with a contract that makes firing/buyout cost prohibitive:
  • Firing after 2022 season - $25.5 m
  • 2023 - 20.8 m
  • 2024 - 7.95 m
  • 2025 - 5.4 m
  • 2026 - 2.75 m
  • 2027 - end of contract
Unless there's some high dollar alumnus willing to pony up for a buyout, which I don't think we have in football, we likely have our current HC until 2024. I'm not sure IU will be able to sell more than 500 tix to a football game if we see three consecutive years of 2-3 wins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News