ADVERTISEMENT

Harrell fired by Purdue

I can’t imagine prepping for a Sugar Bowl matchup with Bama and Purdue calls lol.
Brohm left Purdue on its best footing since the early Tiller years and they hired a 36 year old coordinator for a B10 entry level salary. Now I'm expected to believe they are going to buy out Walters after only two seasons and pay $7-8mil a year for a proven P5 coach? I don't think @BoilerN even believes half the things that come out of his mouth.

Brohm left Purdue on its best footing since the early Tiller years and they hired a 36 year old coordinator for a B10 entry level salary. Now I'm expected to believe they are going to buy out Walters after only two seasons and pay $7-8mil a year for a proven P5 coach? I don't think @BoilerN even believes half the things that come out of his mouth.
BoilerN talks in homer speak: it can be right, it can also be wrong. Recently, it has been extremely wrong.

Reactions: midwolfe
Sure feels that way doesn’t it? Took the air out of the tires. But at the same time, feels like if they beat Oregon state, they would be fine. This team cannot handle adversity.

Oregon state - two possessions inside the 10 with no points and fluky pick 6, fall flat
Nebraska - offense does nothing and defense finally breaks
Wisconsin - two interceptions and offense does nothing, everything breaks

This team just seems to lack toughness. Defense can look decent for a half, but there is nothing in the offense. Nothing. Did ND break the offense? Maybe? But its concepts are also bad and slow. Curious to see it without Card this weekend.
No team, be it IU or Purdue or any of the other 90% of programs in this conference, should ever go the route of hiring a new head coach that is not (a) a current sitting head coach and (b) cannot bring a staff with him. I’ve seen this so many times at IU that it makes you want to puke. The former coordinator route may work at Michigan or OSU. Hell, I’m not even sure it’s going to work at Michigan. But, those are different situations where a staff composed of a bunch of scattered pieces from various places is overcome with elite talent.

I recall one very rare example in this conference with Barry Alvarez taking over Wisconsin. However, Dave McClain had started them on the right path.

Brohm didn't want to have to play Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State every year: his numbers were padded.
I hate Purdue as much as the next guy but I believe that Brohm was a good coach. Here’s how I know that IU f&$&d up with its choice (besides offering a guy a head coaching duty down at the vending machine). Both brought on board same year. Allen actually had a leg up being here the prior year. Brohm takes Detp Detp Hazell’s guys and takes them to a bowl and wins it. Allen comes off a bowl year and finishes 5-7. Next season, 2018: same stuff. Finally Allen beats Brohm in 2019 and they were 4-7 and we were 7-4. And it took double OT. After that, I Allen could never beat the guy. Hell, when Brohm was at Louisville, it looked like Allen had never seen this offense before.

So, the cautionary tale here is do not under any circumstances hire a first time head coach and one that has to build a staff from scratch., “Systems” transfer well when you bring coaches with you from before.

It’s The Bill Mallory and Cignetti model. Yes, you bring your coaches but you bring the system you ran together, plug and play.

I hate Purdue as much as the next guy but I believe that Brohm was a good coach. Here’s how I know that IU f&$&d up with its choice (besides offering a guy a head coaching duty down at the vending machine). Both brought on board same year. Allen actually had a leg up being here the prior year. Brohm takes Detp Detp Hazell’s guys and takes them to a bowl and wins it. Allen comes off a bowl year and finishes 5-7. Next season, 2018: same stuff. Finally Allen beats Brohm in 2019 and they were 4-7 and we were 7-4. And it took double OT. After that, I Allen could never beat the guy. Hell, when Brohm was at Louisville, it looked like Allen had never seen this offense before.

So, the cautionary tale here is do not under any circumstances hire a first time head coach and one that has to build a staff from scratch., “Systems” transfer well when you bring coaches with you from before.

It’s The Bill Mallory and Cignetti model. Yes, you bring your coaches but you bring the system you ran together, plug and play.
And when you have the advantage of cherrypicking a bunch of players that made that system work...good things can happen.

How did Brohm leave the roster in a good spot?

No team, be it IU or Purdue or any of the other 90% of programs in this conference, should ever go the route of hiring a new head coach that is not (a) a current sitting head coach and (b) cannot bring a staff with him. I’ve seen this so many times at IU that it makes you want to puke. The former coordinator route may work at Michigan or OSU. Hell, I’m not even sure it’s going to work at Michigan. But, those are different situations where a staff composed of a bunch of scattered pieces from various places is overcome with elite talent.

I recall one very rare example in this conference with Barry Alvarez taking over Wisconsin. However, Dave McClain had started them on the right path.
Honestly, I think iu killed the coordinator hire at the P2 level. Unless its an osu or I'm promoting an internal assistant and keeping the staff.

How did Brohm leave the roster in a good spot?
How/why is the roster Brohm's responsibility for the next coach? He took over for the worst coach in your programs history and took them to back to back bowl games. If the roster was as bad as you claim, fault your AD for hiring a 36 year old that wasn't able to bring players and a staff with him. Point remains that Brohm won 17 games and was the B10 runner-up in his final two seasons which should have made Purdue an attractive destination for the next coach.

Reactions: midwolfe
How/why is the roster Brohm's responsibility for the next coach? He took over for the worst coach in your programs history and took them to back to back bowl games. If the roster was as bad as you claim, fault your AD for hiring a 36 year old that wasn't able to bring players and a staff with him. Point remains that Brohm won 17 games and was the B10 runner-up in his final two seasons which should have made Purdue an attractive destination for the next coach.
You said he left them on their best footing. If you mean wins, then yes. If you mean team and program as a whole, not sure I do. Brohm inherited more NFL talent than he left.

• Haha
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
You said he left them on their best footing. If you mean wins, then yes. If you mean team and program as a whole, not sure I do. Brohm inherited more NFL talent than he left.
It's generally a lot easier to hire a coach to a program on the upswing rather the downswing. The fact Purdue settled on a 36 year old coordinator is a Purdue problem, not a Jeff Brohm problem. IU won 3 conference games the last 3 seasons combined and had over 40 players transfer out at the end of the season. They currently sit undefeated ranked 16th in the country. I don't want to hear your excuses.

I believe you stated that Walters recruiting classes since his hire were outstanding, no?

I believe you stated that Walters recruiting classes since his hire were outstanding, no?
Sure. He's had what? Two classes? So they are sophomores and freshman? And one was a shared class with Brohm? His portal recruiting has been a little lackluster it seems. That's been the killer. Cannot bridge the gap.

• Haha
It's generally a lot easier to hire a coach to a program on the upswing rather the downswing. The fact Purdue settled on a 36 year old coordinator is a Purdue problem, not a Jeff Brohm problem. IU won 3 conference games the last 3 seasons combined and had over 40 players transfer out at the end of the season. They currently sit undefeated ranked 16th in the country. I don't want to hear your excuses.
It is. They struck out on big names, gambled on a guy like Walters over Helton, and missed. Iu is showing the new way to hire coaches at the P2 level now. Its why Purdue can correct the ship and be a bowl team next year again.

• Haha
Sure. He's had what? Two classes? So they are sophomores and freshman? And one was a shared class with Brohm? His portal recruiting has been a little lackluster it seems. That's been the killer. Cannot bridge the gap.
The point being, if that great, then why such lackluster play? You need to temper your enthusiasm before coming to this board with BS. Thanks

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT