ADVERTISEMENT

hamburger helper

The bologna in a roll was cheaper, so we would get that, slice it, fry it, and have fried bologna on wonder bread.

I think if you did that today, somebody might call child protective services.

We would fancy up the Chef Boyardee pizza with hamburger.

Good times.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
The bologna in a roll was cheaper, so we would get that, slice it, fry it, and have fried bologna on wonder bread.

Good times.
We never fried baloney until it was looking kind of weird. I never understood why we didn’t fry it to begin with. Does any body remember the Eckrich variety pack: pickleloaf, hamloaf, a gristly ham and there was a fourth meat but I can’t recall what it was? I know dad would always eat what the rest of us wouldn’t eat.

the 4th meat was boloney, I think.

We lived on a dairy farm and made our own butter. As a kid I always thought that it tasted funky and would eat crappy margarine instead. Then when I was a grown up and had real butter at fancy restaurants, I learned that what I had shunned at home was the real deal, only better.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

Good times.
My Mom made pizza with canned biscuit dough, Velveeta and hamburger. I thought I didn't like pizza until I had the real thing.

the 4th meat was boloney, I think.

We lived on a dairy farm and made our own butter. As a kid I always thought that it tasted funky and would eat crappy margarine instead. Then when I was a grown up and had real butter at fancy restaurants, I learned that what I had shunned at home was the real deal, only better.
Yup. How could I have forgotten that one.

We never fried baloney until it was looking kind of weird. I never understood why we didn’t fry it to begin with. Does any body remember the Eckrich variety pack: pickleloaf, hamloaf, a gristly ham and there was a fourth meat but I can’t recall what it was? I know dad would always eat what the rest of us wouldn’t eat.
Yup, I remember that variety pack. Was it "old fashioned" loaf?

Reactions: Spartans9312
Drewrys. Worst beer ever. Also its own unique taste. Everything else is a fight for second place.
Yeah that was bad. I used to live in South Bend where that was brewed. They still have Drewry's signs in a lot of the bars. I think somebody tried to revive that brand a few years ago. Don't know if they stayed in business or not.

Little Kings was the beer everyone seemed to want. Why I have no idea as they were only 7 ounces and you had to drive to Ohio or Kentucky to get it.

Yeah that was bad. I used to live in South Bend where that was brewed. They still have Drewry's signs in a lot of the bars. I think somebody tried to revive that brand a few years ago. Don't know if they stayed in business or not.

One of my high school buddies sent me a six pack of the revival brand. Couldn’t even drink a whole can. Worse than I remembered.

Reactions: Cream&Crimson
Little Kings was the beer everyone seemed to want. Why I have no idea as they were only 7 ounces and you had to drive to Ohio or Kentucky to get it.
I remember when Indiana changed the rules and allowed beer to be sold in sizes different than 12OZ. That's what made Little Kings available. Tall boys, too. Would have been in 75 or thereabouts.

My Mom made pizza with canned biscuit dough, Velveeta and hamburger. I thought I didn't like pizza until I had the real thing.

I used to eat valveta sandwiches on squishy white bread with lettuce and mayo. Good stuff. I hated the real cheese mom bought.

I remember when Indiana changed the rules and allowed beer to be sold in sizes different than 12OZ. That's what made Little Kings available. Tall boys, too. Would have been in 75 or thereabouts.
Sounds about right as It was before 75 that Little Kings was big with my group.

I used to eat valveta sandwiches on squishy white bread with lettuce and mayo. Good stuff. I hated the real cheese mom bought.
I hated velveeta but that was the only cheese we had when I was little. I just thought I didn't like cheese at all.

Genessee 16 ounces, for the price of 12 ounces. But hours later you get the Genny jumpers, which clear a room. Worse if you had paired them with sliders.

Reactions: Cream&Crimson
Genessee 16 ounces, for the price of 12 ounces. But hours later you get the Genny jumpers, which clear a room. Worse if you had paired them with sliders.
Everything was worse with sliders. You had to drive to Columbus or Greenwood to get them, though. White Castle didn't come to Bton until years later.

I’ll throw this in here to keep it on topic. When I come back to Indiana to visit, I always get ham salad from any store that has it. I love that stuff, and no one’s ever heard of it in Cali, or anywhere else that I’m aware of.

What’s really on my mind, is how much watching Luca Doncic play in NBA games reminds me of Damon Bailey in high school. (Just watched Dallas beat Milwaukee). Luca dominates and controls the game like Bailey did. Very similar playing styles, although I’m comparing what Luca does in an NBA game vs Bailey in high school.

Reactions: IUclover
I’ll throw this in here to keep it on topic. When I come back to Indiana to visit, I always get ham salad from any store that has it. I love that stuff, and no one’s ever heard of it in Cali, or anywhere else that I’m aware of.

What’s really on my mind, is how much watching Luca Doncic play in NBA games reminds me of Damon Bailey in high school. (Just watched Dallas beat Milwaukee). Luca dominates and controls the game like Bailey did. Very similar playing styles, although I’m comparing what Luca does in an NBA game vs Bailey in high school.

My mom used to regularity make ham salad. Grind up some ham, add pickle relish and mayo—magnificent. She also made ham loaf, with ground ham, mustard, honey and secret spice.

I never pass up a perch dinner whenever I’m back in Indiana. I need a fix now. I found one place in Florida that serves, good but not great perch, otherwise it’s a Great Lakes thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT