ADVERTISEMENT

Guys leaving today

Again, I've been on both sides and to think that outlawing non-competes without a lot of stipulations is ridiculous and short sighted.... But, since we're talking about a decision made by a government agency full of people who have probably never worked in the real business world i'm not surprised.... Soooo....
It's meanie and icky and free marketey. We must intervene.

Is the thinking.
-

Last edited:
Your first sentence is correct, kinda. There's more involved than that and it's not cut and dried... each situation has unique circumstances.

Everything after that, I disagree...

Again, this isn't new territory for me. If they've signed a non-compete no one is stopping them from making a living in their chosen profession as long as it's not a direct competitor within their company's main territory of business... they just can't do it until the non-compete expires and those rarely last longer than a year. If a sales person feels his product is no longer good enough then his decision to work there was on him, it' isn't on the company who might have been taking a chance on hiring him in the first place.... I was on both sides of the business, sales/management and production/talent and as for talent, they are, in some cases, the product and if they are any good at all they have signed an agreement for a period of time.... it's all written out and they know the consequences of breaking the agreement....

Again, I've been on both sides and to think that outlawing non-competes without a lot of stipulations is ridiculous and short sighted.... But, since we're talking about a decision made by a government agency full of people who have probably never worked in the real business world i'm not surprised.... Soooo....
I understand your position and have worked others who share it.

I am a free market capitalist at heart and have never supported these types of employer protections/worker restrictions. If you are good at what you do on either side of the desk you will succeed.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I understand your position and have worked others who share it.

I am a free market capitalist at heart and have never supported these types of employer protections/worker restrictions. If you are good at what you do on either side of the desk you will succeed.
I am as well but I stand by the believe that as long as both parties are living up to the terms of the contract then the contract needs to be upheld.

There is no such thing as a verbal non-compete agreement so no one is having a gun held against their head when they sign it.

Last edited:
I am as well but I stand by the believe that as long as both parties are living up to the terms of of the contract then the contract needs to be upheld.

There is no such thing as a verbal non-compete agreement so no one is having a gun held against their head when they sign it.
If I wanted to keep my job, I had to sign one. Luckily it was for only 3 years.

This touches close to home for me.... Non-competes are all over the broadcast industry for management, sales and on--air "talent"...... I have many friends in the industry who have battled against or for a non-compete and I've personally been involved in four non-compete situations... Attorney were involved in each one and while only one of my cases ended up in court (most rarely do end up in court) the negotiations and court cases basically ended up lasting almost as long as the non-compete periods in the contracts!!

Two were on my behalf. and the other two I was challenging an employee who had signed a employment agreement which happened to include a non-compete. I all cases the non-competes covered not only a set period of time but a radius of "x" number of miles from where our stations signal could be received.... (that's key regardless of industry...if they'er leaving to work outside of your companies primary business territitory then it's next to impossilbe to stop them.

Based on my experience, I don't think the courts would ever completely side with the FTC... I don't know the details of what the FTC calls a non-compete but I'd bet there's no way they get everything they want after the ruling... and they shouldn't. There are places were non-competes are needed and fair.
They are common in IT, also. I had to sign one. But I think, when challenged, most were unenforceable, unless it involved proprietary software.

They are common in IT, also. I had to sign one. But I think, when challenged, most were unenforceable, unless it involved proprietary software.

True, in many cases but not all.... The problem for me in both cases was the combination of how much I had to pay in attorney's fees just to have it drag out until right up to the time the non-compete expired... Not worth it.... And, if the company that is trying to hold you to the non-compete has a halfway decent attorney he'll know that will work in his favor, too.

The other had as much to do with my knowledge of so-called trade secrets and future plans that were yet to go into effect.

Reactions: DANC
Three guys out the last day or so.
I assume this is about playing time. Good luck to them but should not hurt us (right?).
I had a conversation with a former player who still has connections. Said CCC initially said he’d be ok if only 15 original Hoosiers remained. Used the SOFT word for the previous regime and the program culture. That’s about as damning as anything anyone could ever say about a program. Let’s hope he turns this ship around.

I had a conversation with a former player who still has connections. Said CCC initially said he’d be ok if only 15 original Hoosiers remained. Used the SOFT word for the previous regime and the program culture. That’s about as damning as anything anyone could ever say about a program. Let’s hope he turns this ship around.
Too bad we don't play PSU this year - that would be interesting.

Kevin Wilson said 'soft' a lot when he took over the program. He never did better than 6-6 .

Coach Cig is writing a big check I hope his butt can cash. I LIKE it!

I'll have patience though. I won't be soft.
Yeah, I think CCC will be successful, but he's going to find out P5 athletes are a little more used to being pampered than your average JMU and Elon recruit.

Wow. Not really another way to spin that.

The other had as much to do with my knowledge of so-called trade secrets and future plans that were yet to go into effect.

That's what non-competes were designed for. Nothing would have gone down if they weren't being abused. It got to the point that fast food workers were being forced to sign them. No, I am not kidding.

Too bad we don't play PSU this year - that would be interesting.
I’m a bit concerned about Tom Allen’s health as the defensive coordinator of Penn State. I think it’s a reasonable assumption that Penn State will have a good season and as such there will be numerous opportunities for Tom Allen to headbump Nittany Lion players who are wearing helmets.

That past behavior led led to cuts, abrasions, and bruises for Tom. I think it might’ve also led to a few concussions as evidenced by some of his playcalling. More basic than that what does it say about about a major college coach that bangs his head into solid objects during the course of a game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT