ADVERTISEMENT

Gunn and Banks

NOMORENIT

Freshman
Jan 29, 2020
May be against Elon but Banks and Gunn contribute on the offensive end. Banks seems like a pure scorer and Gunn an athletic scorer. Galloway shows up some games and is a non factor on the offensive end the next. With X out maybe it's time to start playing them in some meaningful games.

May be against Elon but Banks and Gunn contribute on the offensive end. Banks seems like a pure scorer and Gunn an athletic scorer. Galloway shows up some games and is a non factor on the offensive end the next. With X out maybe it's time to start playing them in some meaningful games.
IU needs more offense from the wing spots. If they can provide some O on a consistent basis, I'm all for it.

This game was exactly what they needed at exactly the right time. The youngsters showed they’re a whole lot closer than they had showed before. Loved Gunn, Banks, JHS, Malik, Bates, and Logan. But probably more important than all that was getting Race re-engaged. Just hope he stays there.

Banks is a very accurate shooter. His defense may be lacking but I would like to see how he plays in a meaningful game and then pass judgment. His athleticism is obvious and could possibly improve our flawed offense.
Banks and Gunn (and too some extent Bates) are willing scorers. You can tell they are comfortable being the man. I would much rather have that as opposed to having to convince someone to shoot open shots (Race and Geronimo come to mind). Sure there will come a time when you have to get them to take smarter shots, but again easier to reign them in than to have to turn a roll player into a scorer.

Seems so. Bigger players now. Also, he doesn't get as many touches with Trayce and Race both playing low post. He'll be fine. I like his game. Be nice if he develops a solid mid range game
He's more advanced than Juwan Morgan, at a similar time in his college playing career. Morgan averaged 2.4 pts and 7.7 pts his first two years before taking off as a junior and senior and is now a pro. Malik is going to be a very good player. No worries at all.

He's more advanced than Juwan Morgan, at a similar time in his college playing career. Morgan averaged 2.4 pts and 7.7 pts his first two years before taking off as a junior and senior and is now a pro. Malik is going to be a very good player. No worries at all.
I was very impressed with MR earlynin the season, thought he was outstanding in the Xavierb& NC games.mI think the tailbone injury in the NC game is affecting his play more than we realize. I have a suspicion he has hit a mental / physical wall coming from high school to D1. My cousin played football at IU back in the early '70s, then played in the NFL 5 yrs. More than once he said if going from HS to D1 was 10x harder, going from D1 to the NFL was 100x harder. MR also needs to learn to play D with his feet & not rely on his physical ability like he did in HS to cut down on his fowling. JMO, but once those 3 things happens he's going to be a beast on the floor. Again, jmo, but if he can help e Race in the starting lineup I think IU is going to be hard to stop.

I was very impressed with MR earlynin the season, thought he was outstanding in the Xavierb& NC games.mI think the tailbone injury in the NC game is affecting his play more than we realize. I have a suspicion he has hit a mental / physical wall coming from high school to D1. My cousin played football at IU back in the early '70s, then played in the NFL 5 yrs. More than once he said if going from HS to D1 was 10x harder, going from D1 to the NFL was 100x harder. MR also needs to learn to play D with his feet & not rely on his physical ability like he did in HS to cut down on his fowling. JMO, but once those 3 things happens he's going to be a beast on the floor. Again, jmo, but if he can help e Race in the starting lineup I think IU is going to be hard to stop.
Plus opposing teams are scouting his tendencies. That probably has a lot to do with his slow down in production

Banks and Gunn (and too some extent Bates) are willing scorers. You can tell they are comfortable being the man. I would much rather have that as opposed to having to convince someone to shoot open shots (Race and Geronimo come to mind). Sure there will come a time when you have to get them to take smarter shots, but again easier to rein them in than to have to turn a roll player into a scorer.
You think Race and JG don’t shoot or are unwilling? I’m not seeing that. Not this year. Races issues haven't been shooting.

You think Race and JG don’t shoot or are unwilling? I’m not seeing that. Not this year. Races issues haven't been shooting.
I think Race is willing until he misses one or two. Race could have taken 20 shots in the Arizona game. They didn’t even guard him if he was 10 feet from the basket.

Geronimo is willing at times but overall no I do not consider either of them willing shooters. It’s gotten better over the last year though.

Gunn and Banks will rarely pass up open shots.

Plus opposing teams are scouting his tendencies. That probably has a lot to do with his slow down in production
Point taken but I'm not seeing his movement that he had before the tailbone injury, so probably a combination of things. Looking back at last night's game Race pretty much had his way inside against Elin. Malik on the other hand struggled. 15 min pt, 3 fouls, 3 to, .

Banks and Gunn have a lot of potential, but they aren't ready to consistently do to other teams what they did against Elon. Duncomb has shown a lot of improvement and may be useful in the right situations. He also isn't ready for major minutes against B1G talent.

It would be wonderful to have them repeat their success Friday. We will need it. I doubt TJD will play, X is out and Geronimo could be limited with his finger. Duncomb becomes more important with Malik's tendency to get in foul trouble.

Reactions: kkott
Banks and Gunn have a lot of potential, but they aren't ready to consistently do to other teams what they did against Elon. Duncomb has shown a lot of improvement and may be useful in the right situations. He also isn't ready for major minutes against B1G talent.

It would be wonderful to have them repeat their success Friday. We will need it. I doubt TJD will play, X is out and Geronimo could be limited with his finger. Duncomb becomes more important with Malik's tendency to get in foul trouble.
Wow, did you ever consider a career in Sports Reporting?

Really enthused for the future, occuring as early as this season, for the positive things Banks, Logan and Gunn can add with their aggressiveness as scorers. Youthful recklessness will cause some hiccups but you live through the process to get the desired product. Don't throw cold water on aggressive. Enjoying Bates development. Better handles and more involving his feet on D and he's a damn valuable combo guard with stronger PG skills. Maybe, maybe hurt X long term and JG short term pay high dividends for February, March. Honing the talent into skills. POTMFB 👊!

Reactions: 8Stars5Banners
Really enthused for the future, occuring as early as this season, for the positive things Banks, Logan and Gunn can add with their aggressiveness as scorers. Youthful recklessness will cause some hiccups but you live through the process to get the desired product. Don't throw cold water on aggressive. Enjoying Bates development. Better handles and more involving his feet on D and he's a damn valuable combo guard with stronger PG skills. Maybe, maybe hurt X long term and JG short term pay high dividends for February, March. Honing the talent into skills. POTMFB 👊!
Hmm, if X is out for a lengthy period of time, this year may offer somewhat of a mirage of the future, with the reality of next season looking more like the Christmas of last seasons roster past (if JHS gets his holiday wish, and X returns to play again with Davis). What would the ghost of Christmas 🎅’s to come say about the scenario where Race is back too??).

Hmm, if X is out for a lengthy period of time, this year may offer somewhat of a mirage of the future, with the reality of next season looking more like the Christmas of last seasons roster past (if JHS gets his holiday wish, and X returns to play again with Davis). What would the ghost of Christmas 🎅’s to come say about the scenario where Race is back too??).
? X is out for a lengthy period of time.

? X is out for a lengthy period of time.
Sorry, I was speaking in muddled terms.

I Could see X back next season, especially if he cannot just be inserted back into the lineup in Feb as expected. So, this year we would see JHS logging heavy usage, and if he goes pro , then next years team could look more like the past than the glimpses of the future that we will be seeing while X is out.
This season - JHS primarily,
next season - back to X with JHS gone.
Both seasons - everything running through TJD

I Could see X back next season, especially if he cannot just be inserted back into the lineup in Feb as expected. So, this year we would see JHS logging heavy usage, and if he goes pro , then next years team could look more like the past than the glimpses of the future that we will be seeing while X is out.
Clear.

Reactions: .Gerdis
Could you go into more detail ?
I think it's obvious and other posters have already stated it. Some poor mechanics that he brought with him to Indiana but got away with in HS due to his athleticism, ability, etc. For example, last night in the Elon game he was holding the ball after a rebound just above his waist. Easy to take it from him and that's what happened. Better competition and scouting is allowing teams to expose his areas of development which is taking down his production. All that said, I think he is a great talent and with good coaching, a good attitude and more experience, he will become a tremendous player for us.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I think it's obvious and other posters have already stated it. Some poor mechanics that he brought with him to Indiana but got away with in HS due to his athleticism, ability, etc. For example, last night in the Elon game he was holding the ball after a rebound just above his waist. Easy to take it from him and that's what happened. Better competition and scouting is allowing teams to expose his areas of development which is taking down his production. All that said, I think he is a great talent and with good coaching, a good attitude and more experience, he will become a tremendous player for us.
Thank you.

Reactions: aajohn2000
i don't think MR is a quick jumper with much lift. which is why i doubt he will contribute much in the B10 this season. counting on him to focus on shedding the high school habits and dead weight for next year.

Reactions: Crayfish57

Thought X was done after this yr, at that’s the way Woody put it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT