ADVERTISEMENT

Grilling steaks tonight......marinade idea's?

what's everyone's favorite steak for grilling? Honestly I think my favorite is a really good grade Sirloin. I like ribeyes but they often can be fatty, and filets, but they often aren't very flavorful. NY Strips I generally just don't like. Sirloins to me are generally a great combination of lean and flavorful. My favorite tasting steak is a ribeye but even USDA Primes can be fatty.
Nice 1 1/2 inch to 2 inch thick bone in ribeye is the only correct answer.

By the way, if it's a thick steak (like, over an inch and a half) a much better way to cook it is to sear it on both sides in a cast iron pan, then roast it in an oven. Use a temperature probe and cook it to 125. Let it rest 5 minutes.

Trying to cook a really thick steak on the grill isn't the best option.
Nothing wrong with that method, but I love the taste and smell of a steak cooked over lump charcoal with a couple chunks of oak thrown into the fire. For really thick steaks I sear them and then finish them indirect.

This is correct. Anyone who doesn't accept the ribeye as the premier cut is to be regarded with suspicion. I'm not even sure why this is a question. Bone in? Better yet.

I've been grilling a lot of New York Strip lately. A bit less fatty than the ribeye yet still well marbled.

I have 4 in my refrigerator right now. I was in no mood to do anything pleasing for the family last night and tonight is bowling night so they'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Reactions: hoosierdug and C-$
I've recently tried a boiling technique that....when done at first seems absolutely disgusting. The steak is grey and it smells like it was in the microwave under the defrost setting too long.

However, after you boil it (I should say lightly boil it...around 140 degrees which is around 2 on your burner) for 40 minutes....throw your basic seasonings on it (mine is a dash of salt, pepper, wee willy's dry rub and olive oil) and then sear all sides in a hot iron skillet and.....holy balls on a donkey! It's the best, most tinder and flavorful home cooked steak you can make. You should try it at least once.

The key to boiling is to place the steak into a plastic ziploc bag so the meat doesn't actually soak up the water. Then leave the top of the bag open, hanging over the side of the pot.

If you ask the people "in the know" at Elmo's, they'll tell you that sauteed mushrooms and onions on one of their fine steaks is strictly for amateurs. The big leaguers know better.

Now get your a$$ over to Iaria's and order some fried ravioli and veal parmesan.

I don't put them ON the steak.... I said side dish! You're getting old and losing your memory........

And I've been to Iaria's thrice......

Sous vide technique. Have read about that but never tried. Saw it on a menu as an option for cooking at Kayne Prime in Nashville last week for their wagyu cuts.

That's Bulgogi .... mix all of it together, thin slice the meat, marinade for 24 hours, serve with rice.
You'll need a good bit of sugar mixed in with the soy sauce, a little ginger and garlic and some siracha. Cook it down to a syrup and THEN marinate the uncooked thinly sliced ribeye overnight. Cook it up and serve with some pickled carrots, nappa cabbage and cilantro on a roll. I'd also add some sambal oelek.

This is correct. Anyone who doesn't accept the ribeye as the premier cut is to be regarded with suspicion. I'm not even sure why this is a question. Bone in? Better yet.
The correct answer is bone-in ribeye, of course, but I do also enjoy tri-tip now and again, when I can find it, and when I'm looking for a more affordable alternative to a ribeye.

Need to cut it against the grain, but its quite good.

Another benefit of tri-tip is its good in chili con carne. With beans, of course.

You'll need a good bit of sugar mixed in with the soy sauce, a little ginger and garlic and some siracha. Cook it down to a syrup and THEN marinate the uncooked thinly sliced ribeye overnight. Cook it up and serve with some pickled carrots, nappa cabbage and cilantro on a roll. I'd also add some sambal oelek.
Oh yea, I was just sayin', that's the base marinade for bulgogi. Add an asian pear instead of sugar. It helps tenderize the meat. If you ever choose to make it into a sandwich or flatbread, and it's great on both as long as it's not full strength flavor, marinade the whole cut before slicing, then freeze it a bit and slice paper thin.

Reactions: hoosierdug
I don't usually marinade steaks. Just a dash of seasoning while I grill it (my steak seasoning is basically just salt and both black and white pepper). However, if you want to add a little zip, I strongly recommend just a dash of tamarind extract. It provides that tangy flavor that people like about A-1, without going through the trouble of ruining a steak by drowning it in $15 of over-priced brown ketchup.

Oh yea, I was just sayin', that's the base marinade for bulgogi. Add an asian pear instead of sugar. It helps tenderize the meat. If you ever choose to make it into a sandwich or flatbread, and it's great on both as long as it's not full strength flavor, marinade the whole cut before slicing, then freeze it a bit and slice paper thin.
That is EXACTLY right. Dammit, now I'm gonna have to make that this weekend.

you high blood pressure ridden maniacs need to stop frothing at the mouth as you fat finger your keyboard and learn how to smoke a salmon or eat some god damn sushi.

Reactions: C-$ and hoosierdug
you high blood pressure ridden maniacs need to stop frothing at the mouth as you fat finger your keyboard and learn how to smoke a salmon or eat some god damn sushi.
Twenty years from now, we'll be lying in our beds, dying of heart disease, thinking about all the great steaks we ate, saying, "It was worth it."

You'll be lying your bed, dying of mercury poisoning, thinking about all the fish you ate, saying, "I could have had a damn steak."

#Fact

I like steak. I really do but I grew up poor monica. I wasn't afforded the luxury of a fine steak for probably my first 20+ years of my life so I don't eat it often. I probably cook a nice bone-ribeye about 2-3 times a year but that is about it.

I'm having a new smoker made and am damn excited to start cold smoking soon hopefully.

Reactions: C-$
I like steak. I really do but I grew up poor monica. I wasn't afforded the luxury of a fine steak for probably my first 20+ years of my life so I don't eat it often. I probably cook a nice bone-ribeye about 2-3 times a year but that is about it.

I'm having a new smoker made and am damn excited to start cold smoking soon hopefully.
When I was a kid, we went out for steak dinners twice a year. I don't remember the name of the restaurant, but it was located where Corner Pocket is now. Other than that, the only time we'd eat steak was either some really cheap crap, like cubed steak, or if a box of meat fell off Dad's truck and got damaged and the warehouse guy let him take it home (also how we ended up with a year's supply of Peeps once, or as we called them, "Icky chicks"). Once he started getting more financially secure, we'd grill steaks on a fairly regular basis during the nice months, but for most of childhood, it was a special occasion to eat beef.

Why would you want to ruin a great steak with mushrooms and onions (and I absolutely LOVE mushrooms and onions)? Just throw some ketchup or A1 on it, too, to complete the devastation.

You must be from the south side of Indy.
What a goober you are
Mushroom and onions are on the side. I am not saying that you have to have them with each bite of steak.

Sometime, when you make your way back to Indy, cmon on down to the south side, and I will make you a steak that you will not forget. In the mean time, Vikings suck!

Reactions: IU40IU and C-$
What a goober you are
Mushroom and onions are on the side. I am not saying that you have to have them with each bite of steak.

I'm not even a big mushroom fan, but I once ate a NY strip (dusted with tamarind, of course) smothered in about a pound of sauteed mushrooms, and it was shrooms with every bite, and it was divine.

Sometime, when you make your way back to Indy, cmon on down to the south side, and I will make you a steak that you will not forget. In the mean time, Vikings suck!

Trolling Colts fans this week is going to be soooooooooo fun.

Reactions: C-$
See, that's just wrong.......

You're back on the right side of things.

Congrats.

I blame women for this...when we transitioned the kids from baby food to, you know, real food...my wife would drown it with ketchup...green bean, peas, you name it...I finally put my foot down. Alas, my daughter is still a ketchup freak...my son thinks it's gross.

People still eat hotdogs? Why?

If you have the patience, and are willing to look around, you can find some good frank's...Koegel, Sanders, and Usinger's all make pretty good ones...they are easy to fix and kids like them. The casing is the key...they have to snap when you bite in...

If you have the patience, and are willing to look around, you can find some good frank's...Koegel, Sanders, and Usinger's all make pretty good ones...they are easy to fix and kids like them. The casing is the key...they have to snap when you bite in...
I have to give a bump to my old colleagues in Perrysburg. Swig makes a variety of sausages and hot dogs, all from scratch, and all in natural casings (the kind that snap). Add the two dozen beers on tap, most of which change daily, and if you're in the Toledo area, you have to check them out.

What a goober you are

I will make it to the south side of Indy. I'll bring the Surly Wet (coming soon again to a beverage store near me).

Sous vide technique. Have read about that but never tried. Saw it on a menu as an option for cooking at Kayne Prime in Nashville last week for their wagyu cuts.

The nice thing about sous vide is that it really shines when you take a cheaper cut, say a choice chuck roast, and turn it into a steak that tastes that it came from a high end restaurant. Higher end steakhouses have been known to use this technique but not necessarily advertising it. Looks like that may be changing. I'm sure that wagyu cut would taste incredible.

Yes because mercury poisoning and cancer is so much better.

Family friend of mine is giving me a used Traeger smoker for free. All I need to buy is the $99 thermostat.

Pretty excited. Feel free to send me some ideas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT