ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Frey is Headed to Florida State

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana
That was a short stint up at Ann Arbor this time around.

He's replacing Rick Trickett who sounds like he'd be a great get as an analyst if he's looking to ease into retirement (and if he's not headed to Texas A&M).

Interesting how just 3 years ago he's considered one of the best ever and now he's not being retained... Truly is a what have you done for me now business (unless I don't know the back story-which I admit I don't)...

Here's a link with his F$U bio:

http://seminoles.com/staff/rick-trickett/

Seems like he'd be worth having on staff just for his high school coaching contacts...
No idea if he's actually interested in coming up or not..

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
Frey parlayed a couple of NFL draft picks and a hot offense into a lottery ticket ... however, the O line these past two years is evidence Frey has his warts the same as most others.

I was very optimistic with the kids he brought in ... just didn't seem to pan out these past couple years.

Harbaugh has the ability to cut bait quicker than an IU ... another reason the "haves" stay at the top and the "have nots" must hope for a better year next year.

Frey parlayed a couple of NFL draft picks and a hot offense into a lottery ticket ... however, the O line these past two years is evidence Frey has his warts the same as most others.

I was very optimistic with the kids he brought in ... just didn't seem to pan out these past couple years.

Harbaugh has the ability to cut bait quicker than an IU ... another reason the "haves" stay at the top and the "have nots" must hope for a better year next year.
iu’s O line would’ve likely been much better had Frey been their coach this season, and Harbaugh isn’t cutting bait. If GF goes to FSU, it’s his and Taggert’s choice, not Harbaugh’s.

Reactions: IUCol and Chriselli
iu’s O line would’ve likely been much better had Frey been their coach this season, and Harbaugh isn’t cutting bait. If GF goes to FSU, it’s his and Taggert’s choice, not Harbaugh’s.

And that just Proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that you Fred, are completely full of it. MI wanted Frey gone at mid-season. He just landed on his feet...

I’m not surprised you don’t understand anything about Frey. No one expected you to. Lol
I'm not surprised you've returned under a new name, after being booted off the board, for about the 10th time. And it's inevitable that "Bigredfred" will meet the same fate. This pattern is, quite literally, insane.

And p.s.: you're wrong about Frey. Lol.

I agree. Frey genuinely missed on some recruits. He may be a better coach than talent evaluator. He took guys like Rahrig and made them at least hang on nfl rosters, but couldn’t recruit his own guys to replace them. Luckily, at Florida state he may have some more connections/a bigger talent pool. I think that he’s a great teacher, just suspect talent evaluating.

It is crazy to believe Greg Frey is not one of the top o-line coaches in college football. Since when is it a step backwards to leave Michigan for Florida Staye especially if you are from Tampa.

Reactions: Sassy61
It is crazy to believe Greg Frey is not one of the top o-line coaches in college football. Since when is it a step backwards to leave Michigan for Florida Staye especially if you are from Tampa.
He’s a fine coach. But his last OL here really struggled, and Michigan fans were not at all happy with him last year.

He did sort of leave the cupboard bare in Bloomington. Now could he have coached the goys up at all, or better, we’ll never know. I’m certain that the lack of continuity stunted this years line’s growth a bit. We shall see. Lots of guys back with lots of experience.

I agree. Frey genuinely missed on some recruits. He may be a better coach than talent evaluator. He took guys like Rahrig and made them at least hang on nfl rosters, but couldn’t recruit his own guys to replace them. Luckily, at Florida state he may have some more connections/a bigger talent pool. I think that he’s a great teacher, just suspect talent evaluating.

^^^^
This may well be the case ... and having only coached one year at UM it really isn't fair to suggest he was unable to "coach up" their players ... regardless of what their fans and alum think ... one year with a college player is not much time ... I wish him well, just odd that he is jumping ship to FSU so quickly ...

One possibility is that Coach Frey was not a fan of how Harbaugh operated his program ... there are many out there who find Harbaugh's recruiting to be less than honorable ...however, i'll say this, Harbaugh treats college football like a business, which it is for the coaches and athletic departments making millions and millions and millions of dollars ...

I really feel like coaches moving around so much is a major detriment to the college athlete more than anything ... coaches come and go at will (show me the $$$) ... and the kids get penalized if they want to do the same for much more noble reasons (family issues, bad group in the locker room, etc.) ... the NCAA is one messed up organization ... one day it will change ... but until then kids really never know who their coach will be next week ...

Reactions: ESalum86 and td75
I am not sure how you can say the cupboard is was bare when IU has two back to back to back freshman All America o linemen in Brandon Knight and Coy Cronk. Yes Knight has struggled to stay healthy but that does not speak to his ability. We do have some other young linemen who the jury is still out on. It is tough for a kid to come right out of high school and start as offensive lineman. Language, technique and strength all usually lacking. Let’s see if some of these guys can actually step up this year.

I'm not surprised you've returned under a new name, after being booted off the board, for about the 10th time. And it's inevitable that "Bigredfred" will meet the same fate. This pattern is, quite literally, insane.

You have no idea about Frey. None.

You have no idea about Frey. None.
I implore you to stop cluttering the board with your nonsense and invective. There's little doubt that your latest "nom de guerre" is going to end the same way the earlier ones did. You clearly can't control yourself. Please take this madness elsewhere. I sincerely wish you improved health and well-being in 2018.

I implore you to stop cluttering the board with your nonsense and invective. There's little doubt that your latest "nom de guerre" is going to end the same way the earlier ones did. You clearly can't control yourself. Please take this madness elsewhere. I sincerely wish you improved health and well-being in 2018.
The invective of countering false and dishonest posts? Sorry, that’s Your and a few others shtick, and it’s why this board isn’t any good. Worry about your own posting if you want a better board. I notice you offered no support for your Frey comment, and neither did the other poster. You claim something and then can’t prove it or bolster it with anything, yet you implore me to leave? A classic example of how facts don’t matter to people like you. Please leave.

I am not sure how you can say the cupboard is was bare when IU has two back to back to back freshman All America o linemen in Brandon Knight and Coy Cronk. Yes Knight has struggled to stay healthy but that does not speak to his ability. We do have some other young linemen who the jury is still out on. It is tough for a kid to come right out of high school and start as offensive lineman. Language, technique and strength all usually lacking. Let’s see if some of these guys can actually step up this year.
Knight was a freshman all-American after playing mostly tight end as a freshman due to Danny friends injury. And Knight was a great blocking tight end. But that in no way has translated to his offensive tackle performance, although I’m still extremely hopeful because of his potential. Cronk was a freshman all-American at tackle, but again, was less than stellar statistically when he had to replace Camiel. He’s another guy who I’m hoping can get better.

The cupboard wasn’t empty per se, but the guys who were left were not ready to be top line Big Ten football players. I think that’s a fair statement. Even if you got freshman all American, it’s not as if you were a big ten all conference guy. It means you’re thought of highly out of a bunch of other young dudes who aren’t ready to really be playing either. Illinois is going through that right now. I think a fair statement is that there was a recruiting gap between the 11’ class and 12’ class that graduated, and Frey missed on a ton of guys in the years in between. That created a gap between when out younger guys play, and when they’ll actually be ready to play at a high level.

But I really like the two recruits in this class, there are a ton of young guys on the roster, and I’m hopeful that knight can stay healthy in year 4, although I wouldn’t be opposed to him dropping 20 pounds and moving back to Tight end. Not just because he’s struggled, but mainly because tight end blocking was a major issue last year, and we do have some younger guys that we could develop at tackle.

Trickett was let go as was almost all the other staff. FSU's O-line have been very bad since the national title game.

Yes you are going to have lulls but the online was very good for a long time. Again a bad year is going to happen once in awhile does this mean a coach is a good coach when things are going well and is a bad coach when things are not going well.

I don’t see anything wrong with that assessment. I personally don’t know who found the recruits and who coached them up.

We do know this: we saw a difinative uptick in talent/coaching up during the CKW years than we were accustom to seeing in the past. By criticizing our old staff we are also criticizing ourselves because let’s face it, we had some of our most measurable success at IU during CKWs tenure.

I hope our new guys have similar success as we develop our OL.

Frey is hired for his recruiting abilities more than for his OL development. He had some diamonds though, but his hiring at FSU is all about bringing in someone that will stabilize Tampa area recruiting for the new staff, something that Elliot's staff didn't do so well.

Hiller, our current OL coach, is more known for his teaching abilities than for his recruiting. It'll be interesting to see how the OL does next season and beyond. They need his abilities to transform for sure. Last season was just a mess but a lot of that was due to a new scheme/system/youth/lack of development under Frey/Wilson. Year 2 will tell the tail on Hiller's abilities.

Reactions: Superstar84b
Agree on Hiller. The jury is still out to show what he can do. The O Line has got to be a major focus this off season. I'm not sold on our strength guy and his approach last year. We had injuries galore and lacked stamina. We've got some talent comin but honestly we are going to have to coach and strengthen what we have to be successful next year. Just showing up with what we have next year is not going to cut it. We need to up the leadership /mean streak /nastiness in that group.

Frey is hired for his recruiting abilities more than for his OL development. He had some diamonds though, but his hiring at FSU is all about bringing in someone that will stabilize Tampa area recruiting for the new staff, something that Elliot's staff didn't do so well.

Hiller, our current OL coach, is more known for his teaching abilities than for his recruiting. It'll be interesting to see how the OL does next season and beyond. They need his abilities to transform for sure. Last season was just a mess but a lot of that was due to a new scheme/system/youth/lack of development under Frey/Wilson. Year 2 will tell the tail on Hiller's abilities.

Agree with you, Cross. I don't understand how people here can complain about the abilities of Coach Hiller. As you've explained here before, he is in the process of implementing a new style of play with players recruited for a different style of play. I think we need to be patient here.

I think we will be better next year on the OL. We had guys playing through injuries and it took awhile but I thought they were starting to gel towards the end.

Reactions: 76-1 and ESalum86

He had this BRF in advance before I Loved Lucy's got banned. This strategy allows him to respond to his own posts near the end and then move forward immediately when the former name is banned.

I believe he already has his next name on line, but we will see before too long.

Reactions: JohnsyRick
The invective of countering false and dishonest posts? Sorry, that’s Your and a few others shtick, and it’s why this board isn’t any good. Worry about your own posting if you want a better board. I notice you offered no support for your Frey comment, and neither did the other poster. You claim something and then can’t prove it or bolster it with anything, yet you implore me to leave? A classic example of how facts don’t matter to people like you. Please leave.

Your facilities claims say hi. Hypocrite.

Reactions: JohnsyRick
My high level assessment of OL of last 5 years... Frey was like a "demi-God" initially with his UM credentials. Think we had some very good years, but it "seems" like there was a drop off near the end, and he goes back to UM.

Feel like we topped out in Spriggs Sr year as best overall line. The next year Feeney's Sr. year, had some injuries and good, but far from great Oline play. Then last year, big drop in Hiller's year 1, but seemed like a fairly depleted Oline group, no seniors, no massive bodies, and was the weak link of the offense this year. If Hiller is known as a "teacher more than recruiter" than I'm not sure I saw steady improvement over the season. But like others, to be fair, I think watching how THIS season ahead goes is more accurate/fair, given everyone will have a year under their belts, should be bigger, stronger, know system, and have depth ready to play too. That's TBD, but I'm bullish.

I'd like to see: Caleb Jones own one tackle spot, ideally Baker own the second - have two big bodied tackles. Move Knight to Center for his senior year (allowing as someone shared - Crider to RS one season & be starter the next) then have Martin at one G and move Cronk to the other. Get the best, oldest, O-line on the field and have a lot of people who have played on 2nd unit who can get some playing time as well for fresher line overall. (Stepaniak, Littlejohn, Nworah.)

Hoping the 2 freshman go immediate for RS. And that among all of those young, big offensive lineman we have on the team, some of them truly step up and be ready to play if needed next year. I'm talking about Tyler Knight, Ryan Smith, Grayson Stover and another large man that hasn't broken out yet: Davondre Love. Britt Beery is also 6'7, but he's got to get bigger. Think he's another year away from being potential starting tackle material.

If Hiller can get the big uglies playing serious ball, it's amazing how well then the QB, RB's and WR's start looking! Think we have talent, but as we saw against the OSU/Wiscy/PSUs...you have to be able to win in the trenches!

Reactions: 76-1
Wait, so moving to the same, or better position if the full offensive line, at Florida State who won a title a few years ago, compared to yearly 9-3 Michigan, who can't even win the big ten, is a step down? I don't get it.

Last edited:
He had this BRF in advance before I Loved Lucy's got banned. This strategy allows him to respond to his own posts near the end and then move forward immediately when the former name is banned.

I believe he already has his next name on line, but we will see before too long.
Got him banned but he will be back with another name soon.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
What's the projection on Caleb Jones?? I thought I read good things about Jones..like good NFL potential!?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT