ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Frey is Headed to Florida State

Frey is hired for his recruiting abilities more than for his OL development. He had some diamonds though, but his hiring at FSU is all about bringing in someone that will stabilize Tampa area recruiting for the new staff, something that Elliot's staff didn't do so well.

Hiller, our current OL coach, is more known for his teaching abilities than for his recruiting. It'll be interesting to see how the OL does next season and beyond. They need his abilities to transform for sure. Last season was just a mess but a lot of that was due to a new scheme/system/youth/lack of development under Frey/Wilson. Year 2 will tell the tail on Hiller's abilities.
I didn’t think that the style of play was much different. Indiana went from a fast paced spread offense... to a fast paced spread offense. I do agree that there were slight differences, but not really. It wasn’t like going from a spread to Michigan States offense. I’m not blaming coaches per se. I 100% believe that the guys out there simply weren’t ready to play in the Big ten yet. Hopeful for a good winter, spring, and summer for those guys. But I don’t think that the system is that much different. You got inside zone runs, stretch runs, and power. Basically the same as CKW’s offense. A couple of fast pace, spread philosophies

My high level assessment of OL of last 5 years... Frey was like a "demi-God" initially with his UM credentials. Think we had some very good years, but it "seems" like there was a drop off near the end, and he goes back to UM.

Feel like we topped out in Spriggs Sr year as best overall line. The next year Feeney's Sr. year, had some injuries and good, but far from great Oline play. Then last year, big drop in Hiller's year 1, but seemed like a fairly depleted Oline group, no seniors, no massive bodies, and was the weak link of the offense this year. If Hiller is known as a "teacher more than recruiter" than I'm not sure I saw steady improvement over the season. But like others, to be fair, I think watching how THIS season ahead goes is more accurate/fair, given everyone will have a year under their belts, should be bigger, stronger, know system, and have depth ready to play too. That's TBD, but I'm bullish.

I'd like to see: Caleb Jones own one tackle spot, ideally Baker own the second - have two big bodied tackles. Move Knight to Center for his senior year (allowing as someone shared - Crider to RS one season & be starter the next) then have Martin at one G and move Cronk to the other. Get the best, oldest, O-line on the field and have a lot of people who have played on 2nd unit who can get some playing time as well for fresher line overall. (Stepaniak, Littlejohn, Nworah.)

Hoping the 2 freshman go immediate for RS. And that among all of those young, big offensive lineman we have on the team, some of them truly step up and be ready to play if needed next year. I'm talking about Tyler Knight, Ryan Smith, Grayson Stover and another large man that hasn't broken out yet: Davondre Love. Britt Beery is also 6'7, but he's got to get bigger. Think he's another year away from being potential starting tackle material.

If Hiller can get the big uglies playing serious ball, it's amazing how well then the QB, RB's and WR's start looking! Think we have talent, but as we saw against the OSU/Wiscy/PSUs...you have to be able to win in the trenches!
I agree 100%. Spriggs senior year those guys were destroying people. Howard and Redding weren’t even getting touched until they were 5 yards past the LOS. The year before, Indiana rushed for over 3,000 yards too in 14’. There was a gap in recruiting because we didn’t really take anyone in the 13’ class sadly, and the 14’ class didn’t pan out. 15’ and 16’ didn’t exactly pan on, YET. As you said, you hope that guys like D Love can get going now. Some potential.

I’m hopeful, and If they’re going to get it done... it’ll have to be with the same guys. As others have mentioned, this strength and conditioning coach is about to be put to the test when it comes to line development.

The one difference between this system and the last system though is tight end play. That can also impact the running game. Wilson had some great blocking tight ends with versatility. That element was completely missing last year. I think that Ian Thomas will get paid a lot of money to play on sundays. I also think that Ian Thomas is a terrible blocker and is a glorified receiver. It’ll be interesting to see who we use at tight end and how that impacts the run game. In 15’ we had 5-6 tight ends who played, who all had the ability to block and that allowed for two tight end sets, and helped the offensive line. Last year that element was gone due to Danny friend moving to the OL. It’ll be interesting to see if that group can bring solid blocking back to help out our offensive line

Assuming Linder signs with IU, which seems to be his most likely move, and assuming a right-handed QB, I'd be happy to see Cronk (LT), Martin (LG), Linder (C), B. Knight (RG) and, hopefully, Jones, Beery or T. Knight (RT). Redshirt Crider, if possible, with Littlejohn backing up Linder. However, I do think Superstar84b's consideration of possibly moving B. Knight back to tight end is interesting. In that case, they could put Stepaniak back in at right guard. If one or more of the redshirt freshmen can move past Baker and Stover at right tackle, the OL could actually be pretty darn good.

Like td75, the last I heard about Jones was pre-season when both DeBord and Allen said they were impressed with him, particularly his footwork, and at least one of them mentioned him as a potential pro. I, too, would love to hear anything more recent, if anyone here has that kind of information.

Assuming Linder signs with IU, which seems to be his most likely move, and assuming a right-handed QB, I'd be happy to see Cronk (LT), Martin (LG), Linder (C), B. Knight (RG) and, hopefully, Jones, Beery or T. Knight (RT). Redshirt Crider, if possible, with Littlejohn backing up Linder. However, I do think Superstar84b's consideration of possibly moving B. Knight back to tight end is interesting. In that case, they could put Stepaniak back in at right guard. If one or more of the redshirt freshmen can move past Baker and Stover at right tackle, the OL could actually be pretty darn good.

Like td75, the last I heard about Jones was pre-season when both DeBord and Allen said they were impressed with him, particularly his footwork, and at least one of them mentioned him as a potential pro. I, too, would love to hear anything more recent, if anyone here has that kind of information.
Yeah, I do think that sounds like a good idea in terms of a lineup, assuming everyone develops as expected. I could see Baker either improving, or a young guy like Jones coming in and passing him up. I do remember the comment that Jones was showing signs of having the capability to even play right way, but they didn’t necessarily see the utility in burning his redshirt. I could easily see TJ Ivy playing right away at Tight End. He reminds me of the Illinois freshman tight end who carved up our secondary. He’s going to add no blocking value initially, because of his youth, but he should be a matchup nightmare initially because of his speed. Basically a faster Ian Thomas, because he’ll come in at only about 230 pounds. Basically if you use him in the slot, and have a blocking tight end, that can add a value to the offense, similar to what we had with Michael Cooper as the blocking tight end, with Fuchs in the slot. Enter Brandon Knight: He still seems athletic enough to be that blocking tight end where he received freshman all-American offers. If we can find a tackle to come in and play Right Tackle, preferably Devondre Love since he has size and age now (will be a redshirt junior), we can go with more two tight end sets to boost the running game, while not sacrificing much in the passing game if Ivy is utilized. Then when you factor in what we have at receiver, that plan can easily improve the offense. Lining up with 4 receivers with a struggling line obviously didn’t help the run game. Add ivy who can get up to the next level and block smaller safeties, and knight who could get some edge blocks on smaller defenders, and it just adds an interesting wrinkle. As soon as the start blitzing on the edge, you hit ivy 1 on 1 against a linebacker or safety. You just need Devondre Love, or Cam Jones to develop and handle that right tackle spot for that to work.

Heard from someone with ties to the program (via player) that they think he will "play on Sundays" due to his size and good footwork. But no idea (myself) if he's tracking to be ready to play or start next year...I'm just hoping the RS year has helped and that spring/summer will allow him to be ready to start or contribute next season.

As the old saying goes: "You can't teach 6'8 360"

Heard from someone with ties to the program (via player) that they think he will "play on Sundays" due to his size and good footwork. But no idea (myself) if he's tracking to be ready to play or start next year...I'm just hoping the RS year has helped and that spring/summer will allow him to be ready to start or contribute next season.

As the old saying goes: "You can't teach 6'8 360"

Read the same thing. Let's hope our Strength & Conditioning guy is earning his keep and getting him ready...

Reactions: vesuvius13
If Jordan would just step in and shut him down the first couple days before he gets the place a mess, he might get discouraged and go screw up Peegs board.
Hey Court, I think you put an idea in his warped little head, he has busted out his old “danapoint” handle to go over on the PU board to disparage Glass and IU’s lack of commitment !

Hey Court, I think you put an idea in his warped little head, he has busted out his old “danapoint” handle to go over on the PU board to disparage Glass and IU’s lack of commitment !

Hey, as long as he stays there all,is well. At least he will find a receptive audience for his anti IU rants and attacks on recruits. Couldn't happen to a better group of people.

Read the same thing. Let's hope our Strength & Conditioning guy is earning his keep and getting him ready...
I talked to a current player and he said the strength and conditioning coach was fired, and they don’t even have a winter workout for winter break. Imagine that for a second. No strength coach, and while other teams are bowling, getting bigger faster and stronger, these guys have no strength coach, no direction, and are going to sit on their ass’s for a month. I don’t blame the players there, because it’s a “what do you do” situation for them. But for management to let that happen is silly to me.

I think that you and most fans recognize strength and conditioning is what will he’ll guys like Cam Jones develop, and I honestly took strength and conditioning for granted, because Mark Hill was so solid when I played there. It was something I didn’t even think about because he had us set. But it sounds like things went downhill after he left. Again, I don’t blame Wilson OR Allen for that either. Hill simply took more money to go to Kentucky, so Wilson couldn’t do much about that. The replacement coach looked like a beast having come from Baylor. Some of the lower level coaches under Hill also left... Lionel Anderson is a good example of a “behind the scenes” coach that not a lot of fans Saw, but he was so talented that they eventually made him the Head basketball Stregnth and conditioning guy.

Wilson couldn’t really stop those strength coaches from walking, and it kind of highlights that Wilson initially got some under the radar people to help build the program who were extremely talented, but losing them explains the injuries to us this year and why the offensive line looked weak. I’m connecting the dots now, and didn’t realize how downhill strength and conditioning went post Mark Hill. So when half of the receivers got hurt and when the line got pushed around, we now see that this is a strength and conditioning issue.

He’s a fine coach. But his last OL here really struggled, and Michigan fans were not at all happy with him last year.
Since when do we care about the opinions of fanbases when it comes to coaches? If we did, those same Michigan fans and a legion of Tennessee fans have plenty to say about Mike DeBord.

Frey's track record at IU was fantastic considering the talent level he was working with. I would have liked to have seen what he could have done with this year's line.

I implore you to stop cluttering the board with your nonsense and invective. There's little doubt that your latest "nom de guerre" is going to end the same way the earlier ones did. You clearly can't control yourself. Please take this madness elsewhere. I sincerely wish you improved health and well-being in 2018.

The same four morons keep responding to the troll. I'm actually tired of the same 4 or so posters jacking up threads because you can't resist responding to the same troll. I think I'm going to ask to have you morons banned.

The same four morons keep responding to the troll. I'm actually tired of the same 4 or so posters jacking up threads because you can't resist responding to the same troll. I think I'm going to ask to have you morons banned.
Good luck with that, sparkey. Happy New Year!
P.S. "Female announcer" warning: Kansas City at Denver.

The invective of countering false and dishonest posts? Sorry, that’s Your and a few others shtick, and it’s why this board isn’t any good. Worry about your own posting if you want a better board. I notice you offered no support for your Frey comment, and neither did the other poster. You claim something and then can’t prove it or bolster it with anything, yet you implore me to leave? A classic example of how facts don’t matter to people like you. Please leave.

I looked back at our Wolverineheel guest's previous two posts before I responded to hi post about officiating and stumbled across this old poster. Bigreddfred was awesome...one of a kind. This was his second to last post before being banned. Wonder what became of him?

I agree. Frey genuinely missed on some recruits. He may be a better coach than talent evaluator. He took guys like Rahrig and made them at least hang on nfl rosters, but couldn’t recruit his own guys to replace them. Luckily, at Florida state he may have some more connections/a bigger talent pool. I think that he’s a great teacher, just suspect talent evaluating.

Even at IU he wasn't very good as coach Wilson had to step in and tell him what to do. He isn't a very good teacher or coach and had to be let go at jobs after IU. He only looked good at IU because of coach Wilson, an a OL coach and HC, and hasn't looked good at other schools.

Wait, so moving to the same, or better position if the full offensive line, at Florida State who won a title a few years ago, compared to yearly 9-3 Michigan, who can't even win the big ten, is a step down? I don't get it.
My high level assessment of OL of last 5 years... Frey was like a "demi-God" initially with his UM credentials. Think we had some very good years, but it "seems" like there was a drop off near the end, and he goes back to UM.

Feel like we topped out in Spriggs Sr year as best overall line. The next year Feeney's Sr. year, had some injuries and good, but far from great Oline play. Then last year, big drop in Hiller's year 1, but seemed like a fairly depleted Oline group, no seniors, no massive bodies, and was the weak link of the offense this year. If Hiller is known as a "teacher more than recruiter" than I'm not sure I saw steady improvement over the season. But like others, to be fair, I think watching how THIS season ahead goes is more accurate/fair, given everyone will have a year under their belts, should be bigger, stronger, know system, and have depth ready to play too. That's TBD, but I'm bullish.

I'd like to see: Caleb Jones own one tackle spot, ideally Baker own the second - have two big bodied tackles. Move Knight to Center for his senior year (allowing as someone shared - Crider to RS one season & be starter the next) then have Martin at one G and move Cronk to the other. Get the best, oldest, O-line on the field and have a lot of people who have played on 2nd unit who can get some playing time as well for fresher line overall. (Stepaniak, Littlejohn, Nworah.)

Hoping the 2 freshman go immediate for RS. And that among all of those young, big offensive lineman we have on the team, some of them truly step up and be ready to play if needed next year. I'm talking about Tyler Knight, Ryan Smith, Grayson Stover and another large man that hasn't broken out yet: Davondre Love. Britt Beery is also 6'7, but he's got to get bigger. Think he's another year away from being potential starting tackle material.

If Hiller can get the big uglies playing serious ball, it's amazing how well then the QB, RB's and WR's start looking! Think we have talent, but as we saw against the OSU/Wiscy/PSUs...you have to be able to win in the trenches!
They will find out Frey isn't a great OL coach and our OL coach is better than others think. Bedford [I hope he is who you meant rather than Baker] is much better than Love along with Jones. Love won't break out [I hope he does but am tired of waiting it for him to show that, as he is limited in talent. I would to see Beery step up and play along with Rafferty. The older guys other than Nworah left behind weren't very good. The younger guys are much better than several of the older guys. I want Nworah to step up this season; Rafferty is in the rotation and will be improved this season. I hope a few of the younger guys moving into this season show they can play as sophomores and juniors.

Last edited:
He was awesome...one of a kind gone forever
You know, though, there are those strange moments in life, times when a few notes of a song long forgotten, caught, as it were, catching you, really, serendipitously drifting out of a garage down the alley, transport one back to a different moment, to a junior high dance, say, to a world: the creak of the gym floor, the absurd shirt you still have hanging somewhere, the mineralized watering fountains in the hallways half illuminated, side by side the lost plaques commemorating one-mile run record holders (Frank Bellini, 5:39, 1971), next to the girl you wish you came with and wish you could leave at that very moment, unable to come to a word ... you’re right back there. Everything is as it was. You know.

You know, though, there are those strange moments in life, times when a few notes of a song long forgotten, caught as it were serendipitously drifting out of a garage down the alley, transport one back to a different moment, to a junior high dance, say, to a world: the creak of the gym floor, the absurd shirt you still have hanging somewhere, the mineralized watering fountains in the hallways half illuminated, side by side the lost plaques commemorating one-mile run record holders (Frank Bellini, 5:39, 1971), next to the girl you wish you came with and wish you could leave at that very moment, unable to come to a word ... you’re right back there. Everything is as it was. You know.

I had a similar experience over the weekend as I crossed behind a couple of dudes on the beach blow'n a doob.

Reactions: Radio Zero
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT