ADVERTISEMENT

Great effort for our team but

IU Scott

Hall of Famer
Jun 28, 2014
Greenfield Indiana
I am so tired of being close but still losing to the top teams in the conference. Yes we played well the last 4 times we played UM but still lost all 4, We lose twice in OT and the other by 10 and 11 but still lost so there is no more moral victories.

I am so tired of being close but still losing to the top teams in the conference. Yes we played well the last 4 times we played UM but still lost all 4, We lose twice in OT and the other by 10 and 11 but still lost so there is no more moral victories.
No disrespect, but what I'm tired of are posts like yours. You should have left the "but" out of your thread title. This was the best Michigan team we've played in many years, and far superior to the teams we played in recent seasons. They are head and shoulders above us in talent and depth. They're probably the best team in the conference, there's a good chance they'll be in the CFP, and they have the best defense in the country. We had no business even being in this game, no one gave us a chance, and yet we were within a score late in the 4th. I'm proud of our guys and IU's performance today.

No disrespect, but what I'm tired of are posts like yours. You should have left the "but" out of your thread title. This was the best Michigan team we've played in many years, and far superior to the teams we played in recent seasons. They are head and shoulders above us in talent and depth. They're probably the best team in the conference, there's a good chance they'll be in the CFP, and they have the best defense in the country. We had no business even being in this game, no one gave us a chance, and yet we were within a score late in the 4th. I'm proud of our guys and IU's performance today.

Thank You.

I'll 2nd the above...

Perhaps you should feel better knowing that IU lost a close game against a legitimate Top 10 team. And they were winning at halftime.

And yes there are moral victories. To say otherwise is stupid and ignorant. Life is a pursuit of moral victories.

Games like this don’t bother me anymore. I’ve learned never to doubt whether IU will exceed our expectations against the big boys because in recent years they almost always do. What I can’t tolerate is getting embarrassed by the Minnesotas, Iowas, Purdues, and Northwesterns of the world.

When any team plays their guts out, gives effort and hustle, hard to be mad. This wasn’t a moral victory it was a great game and a good loss. Meaning you don’t win them all, especially on road vs #4 team in country. But this has all the makings of an iU team in the making ahead. Some great athletic young talent on the team.

When any team plays their guts out, gives effort and hustle, hard to be mad. This wasn’t a moral victory it was a great game and a good loss. Meaning you don’t win them all, especially on road vs #4 team in country. But this has all the makings of an iU team in the making ahead. Some great athletic young talent on the team.

This game reminds me a lot of when I watched Anthony Thompson's freshman class play against Ohio State for the first time. We lost but you could tell things were changing for the better... (and "the" other team knew it too)...

Last edited:
Perhaps you should feel better knowing that IU lost a close game against a legitimate Top 10 team. And they were winning at halftime.

And yes there are moral victories. To say otherwise is stupid and ignorant. Life is a pursuit of moral victories.
Well over my 40 some years of watching IU football I have witnessed many moral victories. To me being happy just getting close to teams is a losers attitude and is one of the reasons IU football has always been mediocre or worse.

Reactions: Mas-sa-suta
I just think it is sad that the last time we beat UM was 31 years ago and I was still a sophomore in Highs School. I am not saying that we should beat these top teams all the time but to have such droughts when other lower programs can be them once in awhile.

There is no such thing as a moral victory except between the ears. The issue here isn't UM is a better team...ad nauseum...its that we had a chance to beat them and flubbed it again. This is a repeating story...year after year. UM is damn good, but not so much tonight.

When you get an opportunity to knock off a big boy you do it...aka PU. I'm glad its behind us but there will be nothing residual from it. That has been proven also over and over. We are not that kind of program...not in our DNA.

All that matter now to salvage our season is the PU game. That is something.

But if ever a loss doesn't sting...you need to find another hobby dudes. Tomorrow, the sun will shine...

Reactions: snarlcakes
There is no such thing as a moral victory except between the ears. The issue here isn't UM is a better team...ad nauseum...its that we had a chance to beat them and flubbed it again. This is a repeating story...year after year. UM is damn good, but not so much tonight.

When you get an opportunity to knock off a big boy you do it...aka PU. I'm glad its behind us but there will be nothing residual from it. That has been proven also over and over. We are not that kind of program...not in our DNA.

All that matter now to salvage our season is the PU game. That is something.

But if ever a loss doesn't sting...you need to find another hobby dudes. Tomorrow, the sun will shine...

I don’t think we flubbed it, and that’s why it’s encouraging. This wasn’t a game where a good opponent came out flat , made repeated mistakes, and we just couldn’t take advantage (which has happened all too often). This was a good Michigan team that generally played really well and we hung with them.

The defense played well in the red zone. Thats the only reason this game was not a blow out. Michigan only punted once. Big let down on offence. 3 point 2nd half. I hope they can find some offence next week.

The defense played well in the red zone. Thats the only reason this game was not a blow out. Michigan only punted once. Big let down on offence. 3 point 2nd half. I hope they can find some offence next week.

We had arguably the best offensive performance against Mich all year. They have given up a total of 10 2nd half points in non-garbage time all year. And 7 of those came in the MSU game when they fumbled the ball inside their 10 yard line. And the other 3 came against ND in week 1.

It was less an offensive let down and more Michigan’s defense being THAT good

Reactions: 76-1
It's not that IU just played Michigan tough. They played the number 4 ranked team in the country tough. In week 11. And they were in the game until the end. On the road in front of 103,000+ Michigan fans. And they left the game healthy. And the Oaken Bucket game now looks to be a lot more winnable than it did before Michigan game. And the Maryland win now looks much bigger.

I don't think here will be a letdown against Purdue like last year. And today's game probably helped the recruiting effort.

Reactions: ESalum86 and 76-1
We had arguably the best offensive performance against Mich all year. They have given up a total of 10 2nd half points in non-garbage time all year. And 7 of those came in the MSU game when they fumbled the ball inside their 10 yard line. And the other 3 came against ND in week 1.

It was less an offensive let down and more Michigan’s defense being THAT good
I'm sorry. I thought the idea was to win. We had a chance today the defence gave us that. The offence gave us 3 points in the second half.

I think some posters long for the days when we were losing by 40 and 50 points because they have more to complain. Also, I think it is interesting that opposing coaches and broadcasters think highly of Ramsey, but some people here know better. I wonder how Illinois fans must be reacting after its game.

Based on every game like this in the past, how we played means next to nothing about next week. Having said that PU is still beatable...though it wont be easy. And I really don't think you guys got what I said at all. Of course we played the #4 team tough...we usually do...and we usually make just enough mistakes to cost the game. This was a game we could have won...UM is beatable and we had a chance and flubbed it. Still we did play a darn good game for about a half on offense and solid redzone defense which was nice but not enough when it finally mattered.

Watching Scott run over them for 100+ yards was sweet.

But the kids played their hearts out. It wasn't a loss from lack of effort, or the team has quit on Allen, or any of the silly things claimed around here...Allens going to quit...RIGHT! Our talent level is only good enough to beat UM when they leave an opening...like today.

Heck,, that was even the best called game with UM that I can remember. Got to take advantage of that when it happens. Who knows when it will happen again.

We showed the nation today what we can do, even against the #4 team...and what we cant do, until we learn how.

I am proud of the team the way the played...and I am disappointed that another opportunity slipped away. We come close...but never a win. Other schools are recording upsets...we simply do not.

UM is a good team, not great. We are a fair team, not good. But there was no lack of effort though there were plenty of mistakes. Make these same mistakes next week and we don't go bowling...period.

Last edited:
I'm sorry. I thought the idea was to win. We had a chance today the defence gave us that. The offence gave us 3 points in the second half.
We were a four touchdown underdog against the best defensive team in the country.

I'm sorry. I must have missed your pregame post that said we had a reasonable chance of winning this game.

Reactions: 76-1
Defense and offense. Unless you are talking about Canadian football.;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT