ADVERTISEMENT

Grace Berger Tweet

To be fair, what Dan said is historically accurate. These last few years have actually been an aberration and if last night is any indication, there may be a reversion to the mean.
Who is talking about years ago? Thats silly.

I would tend to agree with you if not for the game against Stanford earlier this year. There are storm clouds forming on the horizon and I think Moren is going to have to step it up on all fronts to keep the program from falling off a cliff over the next couple of years.
I don’t think you really follow the women’s team much, or their recruiting.

Correct, and I assume that is what Dakich meant. But instead it appears he is against women's basketball, and I don't think that is the case.
Still, he had better apologize for his mistake.
No I doubt that’s what he meant. His daughter plays softball at IU. Wonder if he cares

Women's bball overall? Yes, it's growing because of Clarke, and I'm sure it's also a factor for the IU women's program, which is also growing because we have a good coach and team and they are winning. I think as long as Moren is fielding good teams and winning, it will continue to grow and be well-supported. She seems to be continuing to add talent, but it's also going to be hard to overcome the losses of Berger and Holmes, who have been the faces of these teams. But, I think she had a solid recruiting class and if she continues to do so and win, I think people will continue to show up. They are a fun team to watch.
Yes we thought things would fall apart after Cahill and Tyra. Just reloaded

Correct, and I assume that is what Dakich meant. But instead it appears he is against women's basketball, and I don't think that is the case.
Still, he had better apologize for his mistake.

Here is reality…I never watched any women’s basketball until Megan Gustafson got big several years ago. Jesus Christ, six kids, several being girls who played sports also broke me out of my fuddy duddy male machismo.

Point being I don’t care for Dan at all really but he is still right. Most of us haven’t been watching women’s basketball over the last several years and this girl has grabbed the nations attention. I haven’t missed a women’s basketball game in two years and quite frankly, I don’t even bother watching the men all the time.

She IS the sport…. she has raised the level of viewership astronomically. The game has changed and will be better because of it and they have her to thank for it.

Even though I, as an Iowa fan, get a little tired of them talking about Caitlyn Clark the whole entire damn game. I mean quite frankly Iowa has got some other pretty damn good players on that team… But she is the reason fans have gone gaga about women’s basketball…

So you’re gonna have to deal with it…

Utter nonsense, IU women's basketball, and women's basketball in general, has been growing in popularity for years before anyone ever heard of Caitlyn Clark. Nobody disputes she's one of the all time greats, but she also lucked into being the right age to be riding an already rising tide of popularity.

Women's basketball used to mean watching UConn and Tennessee play for the championship nearly every year. Now there is a lot more parity and that's got nothing to do with Clark.

If she were playing 10-15 years ago virtually nobody would know her name.

Utter nonsense, IU women's basketball, and women's basketball in general, has been growing in popularity for years before anyone ever heard of Caitlyn Clark. Nobody disputes she's one of the all time greats, but she also lucked into being the right age to be riding an already rising tide of popularity.

Women's basketball used to mean watching UConn and Tennessee play for the championship nearly every year. Now there is a lot more parity and that's got nothing to do with Clark.

If she were playing 10-15 years ago virtually nobody would know her name.

Well your narrative doesn’t fit with pretty much ANY other narrative out there…just sayin’

It’s true the women’s college game has grown “some” in recent years, but the WNBA is still in the red. If in the next several years their, attendance starts booming and their salaries increase then we will know for sure it was because of Caitlyn Clark.

It’s already a certainty she fills every stadium she steps into. Again just sayin’

No other women’s player is doing that. Hell she’s got Hall of Fame coaches from clear across the country, throwing shade at her on a regular basis because they’re so jealous of the attention she gets. She is a supernova.

No, not really. They did last year, but this year...meh. Middle of the pack Big Ten without CC.

Well then Caitlyn has improved their offensive metrics and defensive metrics all on her own….😂Their ppg on D is down 5 points and they are currently shooting way better…so hell I don’t care. If you’re willing to give that all to Caitlyn, fine for me. It’s literally impossible, but if it makes you feel better, I’m all for it. This team is better and the schedule and metrics show it.

2 top 11 & 4 top 19 Net wins for Caitlyn , how many for your whole team….doh!

I think the thing about these message boards that I marvel, the most about is; the general cognitive thinking skills and logic trains people use, or don’t use as the case may be?

We lose 2 players and seemingly with a tougher schedule and worse players, win more, bigger and with better metrics…hmmm?!

I’ll wait for your brilliant explanation for why that is…LOL

No, not really. They did last year, but this year...meh. Middle of the pack Big Ten without CC.

Ps….The Bulls without Michael were just another playoff team. You guys with Caitlyn are demonstrably better right? Even swapping Holmes for her…you’re either not bright or extremely biased.

Well then Caitlyn has improved their offensive metrics and defensive metrics all on her own….😂Their ppg on D is down 5 points and they are currently shooting way better…so hell I don’t care. If you’re willing to give that all to Caitlyn, fine for me. It’s literally impossible, but if it makes you feel better, I’m all for it. This team is better and the schedule and metrics show it.

I think the thing about these message boards that I marvel, the most about is; the general cognitive thinking skills and logic trains people use, or don’t use as the case may be?

We lose 2 players and seemingly with a tougher schedule and worse players, win more, bigger and with better metrics…hmmm?!

You sound like a PU fan coming here demanding respect. Everybody on this site has stated she is a great player. That not enough for you?

Reactions: Tammany Hall

Last year's team was better, but Caitlin is probably even a little better than she was last year. You have a team of spot up shooters and there's almost always someone open because of Caitlin. So when those 3s are falling like they were against us...WIDE OPEN, it's pretty tough to beat y'all. That's pretty simple and obvious. Whatever the metrics say they say....but you don't have a great post presence this year. Stuelke is good but not Czinano good.

You sound like a PU fan coming here demanding respect. Everybody on this site has stated she is a great player. That not enough for you?

That’s a double edge knife…I don’t need your respect. Who the hell cares. It’s a message board….but Truth is Truth & it doesn’t matter, if you acknowledge it. I also love calling out petty bullshit….

Here are irrefutable facts….

Iowas schedule is much tougher this year & the net rankings show that and their record is much better….

Most all of their offense and defensive metrics are either similar or way better…

If That equals better team…& if its all Caitlyn Clark as impossible as that is (she’s not a great defender, adequate at best) it still equals better team.

She does fill other teams stadiums…no one else is.

She is routinely on the lips of other hall of fame coaches even when not playing her…

She gets articles written about her weekly, almost daily sometimes by people who have never written articles about women’s college basketball…

She has 53 year old men (me) and whole families who haven’t seen 20 women’s college basketball games in the last 20 years scheduling Tv around them…I’m not close to the only one. I haven’t missed her play in 2 years.

She can shoot deeper, better with more accuracy AND get other players involved (1st or 2nd in assists for her whole career I believe) than ANY other player playing….

The viewership for her games are higher than any other team…

These are all unarguable…

And two grown men, one being me arguing about her on a message board. Never ever would have that been me a few years back.

She is transcendent and has changed the sport and much smarter people than you and me have said it already 1000 times if they’ve said it once.

Just because you don’t want it to be so doesn’t make it that way…

Last year's team was better, but Caitlin is probably even a little better than she was last year. You have a team of spot up shooters and there's almost always someone open because of Caitlin. So when those 3s are falling like they were against us...WIDE OPEN, it's pretty tough to beat y'all. That's pretty simple and obvious. Whatever the metrics say they say....but you don't have a great post presence this year. Stuelke is good but not Czinano good.

Don’t need one…we need shooters. If we traded Clark for Holmes you’d be better and we’d still be good, but worse….not much of an argument. We’ll keep Caitlyn and our shooters. We play better defense now. That will serve us better than the post points…

We are a running, shooting, fast break team that plays avg defense. Our D against a better schedule is 5 points per game better. That’s a much better team.

We are faster up and down the court and have already played against 3, Lee 6-6, Kilter 6-5 and Holmes 6-4, of the absolute best centers in the nation and won…?! I mean honestly, what does that tell you…

We are better!!!

To be fair, what Dan said is historically accurate. These last few years have actually been an aberration and if last night is any indication, there may be a reversion to the mean.
If I understand you correctly, losing on the road to a team with the best player currently in the game, on a night when 2 other players had way above average performances, means we are mediocre?
Do you feel fans will not come out?
I disagree and hope the fans and the team prove your post wrong.

If I understand you correctly, losing on the road to a team with the best player currently in the game, on a night when 2 other players had way above average performances, means we are mediocre?

You are a very good team, no matter what he says.

I believe it’s apropos to add, I do understand it feels a little insulting to the other girls to give CC all the credit… the women’s game is a great game.

Because of Caitlyn’s demonstrative performance, it has garnered new viewership, but it hasn’t ended there. I am watching other women’s games now too partly just to see how they compared to Iowa, and how Iowa will move on, but there are a lot of great players currently in the game!!

I believe it’s apropos to add, I do understand it feels a little insulting to the other girls to give CC all the credit… the women’s game is a great game.

Because of Caitlyn’s demonstrative performance, it has garnered new viewership, but it hasn’t ended there. I am watching other women’s games now too partly just to see how they compared to Iowa, and how Iowa will move on, but there are a lot of great players currently in the game!!
I am glad to learn I am not the only one who has started watching other games.

No, last night was the aberration, IU women will get Iowa in AH later in the season. Moren is too good of a coach to keep IU out of the B10 conversation, but this is probably Iowa and Clark’s year to win it all.
This is IU's year, 3 5th year seniors and a 4th year senior starters. After this year IU falls back into the pack without 3 top end transfers because IU's recruiting for the last two classes has not been very good.

Reactions: gator mcCluskey
Don’t need one…we need shooters. If we traded Clark for Holmes you’d be better and we’d still be good, but worse….not much of an argument. We’ll keep Caitlyn and our shooters. We play better defense now. That will serve us better than the post points…

We are a running, shooting, fast break team that plays avg defense. Our D against a better schedule is 5 points per game better. That’s a much better team.

We are faster up and down the court and have already played against 3, Lee 6-6, Kilter 6-5 and Holmes 6-4, of the absolute best centers in the nation and won…?! I mean honestly, what does that tell you…

We are better!!!
This is the first year in 25 that Bluder's team hasn't had just a poor defense. I think last year finally taught her you cannot win it all on offense alone. Clarke is a deceptive defender, much like Larry Bird was. She is not a lock down one on one defender, nor especially quick but she gets a lot of tipped balls, steals and rebounds simply because she sees the game better than anyone else on the floor in the women's game atm. She reminds me a lot of Jackie Stiles with a better supporting cast. Getting Martin back for her 6th year was HUGE for Iowa, but like IU, both will drop back to more of middle of the pack teams next year if Clarke goes to the WNBA.

Reactions: cmhawks99
I am glad to learn I am not the only one who has started watching other games.

Touché’… it’s actually an exciting brand of basketball. The women, that is..do yourself a favor and find old videos of Hortensia Macarai *sp? Brazilian, thought by many to be one of the best players of all time. She also played much like a man.

That’s the thing about Caitlyn she doesn’t have to labor to shoot 30 foot jumpers. My sons who still don’t care about women’s basketball, they’re like their “old dad” before I was liberated lol, but they are literally shocked when they see her play!

But there are other great players out there. This JuJu Watkins is something to behold. A 6-2 guard, who can shoot drive and get after it. She doesn’t shoot as deep as Caitlyn and doesn’t pass quite as well but she’s a freshman and she is 6–2..WTH!!

Find a game to watch.

You don’t understand me correctly. I’m talking long term, after this season is in the rear view mirror. That’s what I’m concerned about.

Reactions: Spartans9312
This is the first year in 25 that Bluder's team hasn't had just a poor defense. I think last year finally taught her you cannot win it all on offense alone. Clarke is a deceptive defender, much like Larry Bird was. She is not a lock down one on one defender, nor especially quick but she gets a lot of tipped balls, steals and rebounds simply because she sees the game better than anyone else on the floor in the women's game atm. She reminds me a lot of Jackie Stiles with a better supporting cast. Getting Martin back for her 6th year was HUGE for Iowa, but like IU, both will drop back to more of middle of the pack teams next year if Clarke goes to the WNBA.

Pretty much agree on all accounts, though Bluder is recruiting well. I’ll add, IMO Clark put very little effort into D in the prior years. She is trying now and we aren’t the same team without Martin and Stuelke in my mind.

Well your narrative doesn’t fit with pretty much ANY other narrative out there…just sayin’

It’s true the women’s college game has grown “some” in recent years, but the WNBA is still in the red. If in the next several years their, attendance starts booming and their salaries increase then we will know for sure it was because of Caitlyn Clark.

It’s already a certainty she fills every stadium she steps into. Again just sayin’

No other women’s player is doing that. Hell she’s got Hall of Fame coaches from clear across the country, throwing shade at her on a regular basis because they’re so jealous of the attention she gets. She is a supernova.
No one gives a shit about the WNBA.

Reactions: ams66
You don’t understand me correctly. I’m talking long term, after this season is in the rear view mirror. That’s what I’m concerned about.
Thanks for the clarification.
I agree about next year. We lose Mac, Sarah, and Chloe. Syd comes back but I don’t see the “star”. Lexi plays a lot of minutes but she cannot shoot. We really need Wiseman and Fenn to be stars as freshman and that is asking a lot. Maybe a great guy from the portal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT