ADVERTISEMENT

Gotta Get the Next Three

The next three games (Minn, MSU, Rutgers) are all against teams that are middle of the B1G pack with us. Can't help but think this will be the most important three game stretch for this particular team and, potentially, for Archie's career here as well.

Go Hoosiers!!!!
The only game I see IU winning is the MSU .

The next three games (Minn, MSU, Rutgers) are all against teams that are middle of the B1G pack with us. Can't help but think this will be the most important three game stretch for this particular team and, potentially, for Archie's career here as well.

Go Hoosiers!!!!

Three in a row in the BT.

I don't see that happening, unfortunately.

Reactions: Hoosierific
Have we won three BT games consecutively since Miller became coach?
Strangely enough we did it twice in 16-17 and again twice in 17-18 (which seems impossible since we lost 12/13 but did actually happen). The last 2 seasons... nada. Clearly a program on the rise...

Reactions: mk23
I wondered the same thing. Here is a high level summary by season for league play, including the B1G tourney, during the CAM era.

First season 2017/2018
- Longest winning streak in league play: 4 games
- lost the final three games
- 4-6 in final 10 league games
- Finished 7th in league play with 9-9 overall record
- B1G Tourney: first round bounce to Rutgers

2nd Season 2018/2019
- Lost 7 in a row
- After ending 7 game losing streak with a win, go on another 5 game losing streak; 1-12 in 13 game stretch
- after this historic slide, managed to put 4 game win streak together
- 5-5 final 10 league games of the season
- Finished 9th in league play with 8-12 overall record
- First round bounce to OSU in B1G tourney

3rd season 2019/2020
- Never won more than 2 in a row in league play
- 5-5 final 10 games of league play
- Finished 11th overall in league play with a 9-11 record
- first round win in B1G tourney to a very depleted Husker Squad. Due to Covid, this was the final game the Hoosiers and NCAA would have for that season

Current Season
- Through 13 league games, we are 6-7
- Won two in a row twice
- Lost two in a row twice
- If IU wins all remaining B1G games, not including B1G tourney, would finish season 7-3 in final 10 league games.
- Currently 6-7 in league play and in 9th place

Go Hoosiers!!!!

I don’t think we have to win the next 3 to be in the tournament. Probably 2 of 3 has us in. If we only win 1 then we probably have work to do in the Big Ten tournament.

For momentum’s sake it would be nice to see us win out and roll into tournament time hot.

Winnable? Yes. We have five games remaining for league play.

Minnesota
MSU
Rutgers
Michigan
Purdue

Two teams we have already played, at home, and lost both. CAM has never beat Purdue and there is zero reason to believe he will this game. Michigan is superior to us. That's a loss. Rutgers has far better guards and a MAN in the middle. This is a loss. At best, we go 2-3 in these five games. That puts us at 8-10 in league play and losing our final three games of the season before the tournament and going 3-7 in our final 10 league games. This is exactly on par with our trend not only this season, but the last three. If we win 3 or more games, from a historical and current state perspective, this would be outperforming our very low bar.
Minn and MSU are definitely winnable. Probably not at Rutgers.
[/QUOTE

This team is so inconsistent that losing all three is what I would bet on if I really had to bet but having said that, they certainly have had moments where they appeared to play well enough to win all three. They must drive Vegas crazy

I meant 17-18 and 18-19. My bad
All good. I figured that's what you meant. A deeper dive into winning streaks here;

Season 1 '17/'18
- One three game streak (pre-conference vs cupcakes)
- Conference featured one three game streak and a four game win streak

Season 2: '18/'19
- 4 game win streak to start the season ending with a 1 point loss at Arkansas highlighted by opening 2 point wins over Northwestern and @Penn State as well as wins over Louisville, Butler (RP buzzer beater) and Illinois
- The win over Illinois capped a 7 game win streak and a #21 ranking before losing 12 of 13 games
- The last time IU was ranked nationally in a game was 1.19.19 vs Purdue where we lost 55-70 in West Lafayette.
- Ended regular season league play on 4 game win streak

Season 3: '19/'20
- Started season 8-0 vs a very weak pre-conference schedule. This streak was capped by the final win of the streak over a ranked FSU in the ACC / B1G Challenge
- After the loss to Wiscy following the 8 game win streak start, we go on a 3 game winning streak with close wins over UCONN (JIMMY V CLASSIC), OT Win at home over Nebraska, then a clutch shot by Armaan lifts IU over Notre Dame in the Crossroads classic on 12.21.19. At this point, IU is 11-1. This is the last time IU won 3 games in a row.
- Finish the season going 8-11 in final 19 games

Season 4: '20/'21
- Longest winning or losing streak is 2 games.
- Story yet to be written for the balance of the season. As many posters have stated, the next 5 games present an opportunity to string some solid wins and momentum together. We are currently 11-9 (6-7). So, we have a range of outcomes, assuming all games are played, of finishing the season at 16-9 (11-7) to 11-14 (6-12). I would say it's highly probable we finish season 13-12 (8-10) or 14-11 (9-9). I would say it would be more surprising to finish with 3 or more wins than it would to finish with 2 or less. Only time will tell.

Go IU!

Reactions: Jg48
I see MSU and Minny as maybe's . I don't see us beating Rutgers there , Michigan could be really ugly as they are very good , and Arch won't beat Purdue there . With that we are not going to the big dance , unless we win the Big tourney , and I don't see that happening .

I think this is must win games for Archie if we lose games this week the season is over. We're not beating Michigan, Rutgers, or Purdue.

I think this is must win games for Archie if we lose games this week the season is over. We're not beating Michigan, Rutgers, or Purdue.
If we do win at least one, will you considering repeatedly punching yourself in the face?

The three I think IU and Archie needs are Minnesota, MSU, and at Purdue.

I don't think this team is going to win 3 in a row, and they may only win one more game period. We shall see.

If we do win at least one, will you considering repeatedly punching yourself in the face?

Geez you would think I hit you kid or something.
84c112f31714095d74511fcc41383aaa_w200.gif

IU should be 5 or 6 point favorites over Minnesota and 7 to 8 point favorites over Michigan State. Minnesota hasn't won a road game all year and in their 7 road losses the average margin of defeat is 16 points. Michigan State just isn't a good team this year and their 30 point home drubbing to Iowa Saturday likely put the nail in the coffin. IU should not only win the next 2 but win the next 2 comfortably.

• Haha
Reactions: johnboiler123
IU should be 5 or 6 point favorites over Minnesota and 7 to 8 point favorites over Michigan State. Minnesota hasn't won a road game all year and in their 7 road losses the average margin of defeat is 16 points. Michigan State just isn't a good team this year and their 30 point home drubbing to Iowa Saturday likely put the nail in the coffin. IU should not only win the next 2 but win the next 2 comfortably.

Win and comfortable are two words that should NEVER be used together with this team!! :)

What planet have you been living on??? When was the last time IU won "comfortably".... Even the final score in the first Iowa game was a bit misleading. We were down 8 at the under 12 (or something close to that if I remember correctly).... I guess the last few seconds of OT against NW were "comfortable"... LOL

Reactions: Al Bino
What planet have you been living on??? When was the last time IU won "comfortably".... Even the final score in the first Iowa game was a bit misleading. We were down 8 at the under 12 (or something close to that if I remember correctly).... I guess the last few seconds of OT against NW were "comfortable"... LOL

Didn't say they were going to win comfortably, but MSU is just bad this year and Minnesota can't win on the road to save their lives.

• Haha
Reactions: johnboiler123
I agree with ya Coach! I think they will win the next two easily but I think we lose the last three unfortunately.

What on God's green earth has gotten into those who think we will win ANY B1G game easily??? Have ya'll been watching??

Reactions: IUINSB
What on God's green earth has gotten into those who think we will win ANY B1G game easily??? Have ya'll been watching??

I've watched Minnesota and Michigan State routinely get pummelled on the road this year. Between the two teams they are a combined 1-12 on the road against B10 competition. Michigan State has road losses of 17, 30, 25 and 14 points. Minnesota has losses of 27, 25, 19, 12, 13, and 15 points. But alas, nothing in college basketball is shocking to me anymore. IU very well could play down to their competition once again just as the trend of roads woes continue for the Gophers and Spartans. That is why the play the game.

I have given up trying to predict what will happen with this team. They obviously have the capability to play with good teams but if they fail to be prepared to even show up as they did vs Ahia...they have no shot.

Reactions: Radio Zero
I've watched Minnesota and Michigan State routinely get pummelled on the road this year. Between the two teams they are a combined 1-12 on the road against B10 competition. Michigan State has road losses of 17, 30, 25 and 14 points. Minnesota has losses of 27, 25, 19, 12, 13, and 15 points. But alas, nothing in college basketball is shocking to me anymore. IU very well could play down to their competition once again just as the trend of roads woes continue for the Gophers and Spartans. That is why the play the game.
Is this your idea of an easy win ?? LOL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT