ADVERTISEMENT

Good win at The Barn

It was a win. I’ll leave off any modifiers.

Likely the last of the regular season.

I’m with you. Like you said, we don’t win another game this year OR next until Woody starts calling better timeouts. I see the light. Thanks!

I’m with you. Like you said, we don’t win another game this year OR next until Woody starts calling better timeouts. I see the light. Thanks!
In fairness his lack of calling a timeout and trusting his team to make the right plays was eerily similar to a former coach we had for 30 years.... But once again I sometimes thinks Woody forgets that he's not coaching himself and Isaiah!!

In fairness his lack of calling a timeout and trusting his team to make the right plays was eerily similar to a former coach we had for 30 years.... But once again I sometimes thinks Woody forgets that he's not coaching himself and Isaiah!!

TO would have done the trick, but not calling a TO and still getting the W builds more character. Knight wasn't coaching in year one with Zeke or Woody. A culture had been built. Woody wants to build that culture back, last night helped.

Let's not jump to foregone conclusions of negatively, tobacco-chewing Grasshopper. Xavier Johnson had his epiphany, the proverbial lightbulb of confidence switched to "on" position. Phinesse is back. Hopefully SOON, one of my favorite players, Galloway will be back, too. It's a better team now, the one we've been waiting for, the one with a consistent point guard. Everything is coming together at the right time on springboard to next season and a much brighter future. Feel better now?

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
In fairness his lack of calling a timeout and trusting his team to make the right plays was eerily similar to a former coach we had for 30 years.... But once again I sometimes thinks Woody forgets that he's not coaching himself and Isaiah!

TO would have done the trick, but not calling a TO and still getting the W builds more character. Knight wasn't coaching in year one with Zeke or Woody. A culture had been built. Woody wants to build that culture back, last night helped.
Minnesota is not a very good team .
We get lucky enough to play in the dance.And go against say a Alabama or someone of that ilk. And a run like that happens...It's over !

We get lucky enough to play in the dance.And go against say a Alabama or someone of that ilk. And a run like that happens...It's over !
Oh I agree. He better call the TO in the tourney!! Actually, if we are up 27 in the tourney, Ill play the odds and he doesn't have to call a TO! :)

IMO this was another long game move by Woody. The chances of them losing were slim given the clock and this was a good opportunity to make them figure it out. Teachable moment.

Wanna bet?
I hope you're right but I think we've got games against 2 tough minded teams left and those haven't generally gone well for this group. I think we need 2 more wins: 1 regular season and then maybe 1 in the BTT. Beating Purdue alone might be enough. Someone else said we may regret having cancelled that game against UNCA, and that may be right. They say wins vs lesser teams like that don't matter, but I still believe there's a mental thing about getting to 20 wins in a tough conference.

I'm starting to worry about myself.... this is at least the 2nd time I've agreed with you within a week...

I hope you're right but I think we've got games against 2 tough minded teams left and those haven't generally gone well for this group. I think we need 2 more wins: 1 regular season and then maybe 1 in the BTT. Beating Purdue alone might be enough. Someone else said we may regret having cancelled that game against UNCA, and that may be right. They say wins vs lesser teams like that don't matter, but I still believe there's a mental thing about getting to 20 wins in a tough conference.
we didn't cancel... UNCA did.

Let's not jump to foregone conclusions of negatively, tobacco-chewing Grasshopper. Xavier Johnson had his epiphany, the proverbial lightbulb of confidence switched to "on" position. Phinesse is back. Hopefully SOON, one of my favorite players, Galloway will be back, too. It's a better team now, the one we've been waiting for, the one with a consistent point guard. Everything is coming together at the right time on springboard to next season and a much brighter future. Feel better now?
Indubitably!!!

we didn't cancel... UNCA did.
I really just meant it was cancelled, assumed it would have been mutual. But still, give us a W there and vs Northwestern, and I'd say we're in. As it is, we need at least 1 more regular season win, and maybe even one in the BTT, unless that win is vs Purdue. I really hope we can beat Rutgers, but they are a tough minded team and we really aren't and this team doesn't seem to do anything the easy way. Please, let's just beat Rutgers!

PS, and no, I'm not blaming CMW for Northwestern, I think he did the right thing there.

I'll admit, the title of your post made me bite. Yesterday's game had the makings of a nice win until about 8:30 remaining in the second period. I'm among those whose choses to believe Woodson didn't call a timeout because it's time for this team to put on its big boy pants and figure it out. It was an ugly win, but hopefully there is some growth from it.

The game against Rutgers is winnable. The game at Mackey probably isn't. Jackson-Davis looks disinterested with some frequency and has regressed.

Last edited:
I really just meant it was cancelled, assumed it would have been mutual. But still, give us a W there and vs Northwestern, and I'd say we're in. As it is, we need at least 1 more regular season win, and maybe even one in the BTT, unless that win is vs Purdue. I really hope we can beat Rutgers, but they are a tough minded team and we really aren't and this team doesn't seem to do anything the easy way. Please, let's just beat Rutgers!

PS, and no, I'm not blaming CMW for Northwestern, I think he did the right thing there.
UNCA is around 240 in the NET. Not sure that win would’ve mattered that much.

And even though PSU and SYR have slightly better NETs than NW, those two losses bothered me more.

Reactions: BigMobe
UNCA is around 240 in the NET. Not sure that win would’ve mattered that much.

And even though PSU and SYR have slightly better NETs than NW, those two losses bothered me more.
As I said, bracketolgist would say it doesn't matter. Still, I think there is something about getting to 20 wins in a major conference that helps.

As I said, bracketolgist would say it doesn't matter. Still, I think there is something about getting to 20 wins in a major conference that helps.
IU has a history of getting shafted. Unless we win 2 of the next 3 in whatever order, we hit the dubious six straight years mark.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT