ADVERTISEMENT

Good essay on cancel culture and free speech from FIRE

This woman's fellow employee's complained to their employer, it sounds like. Again, a culture of free speech would not allow this:

I'm all for legislation that would make such firings illegal.

As someone who never liked the Dixie Chicks, we can agree they were cancelled by the mob. They are more aligned to the Kaepernick situation than to Chappelle. They took an unpopular stance, and like Kaepernick they were mediocre and their gamble failed.

Chappelle has done nothing wrong - he hasn’t gambled. He’s bringing common sense to the culture war battlefield - and because he’s an apex predator in his industry, he can’t be cancelled.
Not sure how u drew the line from the Dixie Chicks to Kap. They expressed their views about a war that was really about oil and nation building a country into a democracy. He expressed his views on injustice relative to race in this country. Both paid a significant price for standing up for their views and what is guaranteed by r constitution. Freedom of speech even if we don’t like it. And just because u weren’t a fan of the Dixie Chicks u say they were mediocre. Seriously. Sold over 30M albums and the number one female country music artists of all time. And that’s mediocre? Personally my wife and I enjoy their music just as we do other musicians whose politics we may not agree with.

Not sure how u drew the line from the Dixie Chicks to Kap. They expressed their views about a war that was really about oil and nation building a country into a democracy. He expressed his views on injustice relative to race in this country. Both paid a significant price for standing up for their views and what is guaranteed by r constitution. Freedom of speech even if we don’t like it. And just because u weren’t a fan of the Dixie Chicks u say they were mediocre. Seriously. Sold over 30M albums and the number one female country music artists of all time. And that’s mediocre? Personally my wife and I enjoy their music just as we do other musicians whose politics we may not agree with.
I didn’t introduce the line. I responded to it. And they’re very mediocre. That people would buy 30M albums doesn’t mean they aren’t mediocre. It means people don’t like real country music.

Reactions: jet812
I didn’t introduce the line. I responded to it. And they’re very mediocre. That people would buy 30M albums doesn’t mean they aren’t mediocre. It means people don’t like real country music.
Cmon now. People can like "real" country music and also like the Dixie Chicks. Just as you can like CCR and the Eagles, Mr. Lebowski.

Reactions: UncleMark and swman
The cancel culture breeds authoritarianism rather than freedom. Isn't the fear of saying the wrong words a restriction of human rights? I, for example, really miss the times when freedom of thought and freedom of expression were everywhere. Now it's like everyone is afraid to say what they think, and that's sucks. A little longer and we'll be living in a dystopia:( The puritanical social environment is a big mistake that will make us all want to get out. I, too, have written essays with this resource on similar topics, and I too have been criticized for my statements. But I believe that freedom of speech, as the basis of democracy, must not die.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
Speaking of

On December 6, two articles on the incident were published in the Oracle—one a news report in which the university’s associate vice president of inclusive excellence David Everett said that “it was decided it was best that this faculty member was no longer part of the Hamline community.”
What is that job title? I mean, really. It's like "oh, that's not pretentious enough, add excellence on the end".

“Those in our community have expressed that a letter we published has caused them harm,” the Oracle wrote in explanation of the decision. “Our publication will not participate in conversations where a person must defend their lived experience and trauma as topics of discussion or debate.”
We're doomed.

The following day, a second university-wide email went out, from Everett and university president Fayneese Miller. It said that “respect for the observant Muslim students in that classroom should have superseded academic freedom.”
No.

To address concerns among the university’s Muslim community, Hamline reportedly invited Jaylani Hussein, executive director of Minnesota’s chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, to the school to lead a conversation about Islamophobia in December.

“Many of the Muslim students on campus, after they heard of this incident, it impacted them. It impacted their grades, it impacted them finishing off the semester. They obviously were hurt. At the same time, they’re appreciative of the institution doing the right thing,” Hussein told Twin Cities Pioneer Press last month. “For us Muslims, it is blasphemy.”
soft-kobe-bryant.gif

What is that job title? I mean, really. It's like "oh, that's not pretentious enough, add excellence on the end".

We're doomed.

No.

soft-kobe-bryant.gif

I missed that title! Good lord and people wonder why we have issues with higher education in this country?

What I don’t get is, so you have this overly sensitive Muslim student leading the charge but the professor supposedly provided a warning multiple times so that if students had a problem, they would not need to be logged in.

What else can she do except cancel the entire lesson plan?

I missed that title! Good lord and people wonder why we have issues with higher education in this country?

What I don’t get is, so you have this overly sensitive Muslim student leading the charge but the professor supposedly provided a warning multiple times so that if students had a problem, they would not need to be logged in.

What else can she do except cancel the entire lesson plan?
That student had the email written before the pictures were ever shown. That's 1/2 the problem on its own.

Speaking of

A liberal Kommie bedwetting Slate writer weighs in.

You'll need to get past some initial whatabouts, but the meat of the essay is good stuff.

Here’s hoping more on the left will push back and call these things out.

That university sounds like some kind of fairyland. What will its graduates do when they get out in the real world and no one wants to listen to their shit?

That university sounds like some kind of fairyland. What will its graduates do when they get out in the real world and no one wants to listen to their shit?
If you haven’t noticed, the democrats in DC do listen to this shit.

More free speech questions, police arresting people for social media posts.

In the first case, a man created a Facebook page and used the actual cover photo of his police department. He then made some very outlandish posts.

The second case was early in the pandemic and the guy went World War Z, saying police were just going to shoot the infected. The article suggests the others who posted picked up on the joke.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT