ADVERTISEMENT

Geronimo gone

I could ask you if Woodson stole your girlfriend since you seem to criticize his every move.

With the portal and NIL, there is no normal right now. A turnover of 4-6 may be the new normal. Sucks but it is what it is.
I don’t blame Woodson, I blame IU. Woodson is an IU legend. Just don’t think he will be a good long term hire.

Reactions: Crayfish57
I don’t blame Woodson, I blame IU. Woodson is an IU legend. Just don’t think he will be a good long term hire.
You are being a drama queen in this thread. As others have pointed out, this was an unusual year. Several guys graduating, a one and done, and 2-3 guys that need to move on.

You don't need to paint everything in a negative light. By now we all know how you feel about Woodson.

You are being a drama queen in this thread. As others have pointed out, this was an unusual year. Several guys graduating, a one and done, and 2-3 guys that need to move on.

You don't need to paint everything in a negative light. By now we all know how you feel about Woodson.
Not being dramatic dude. Just talking basketball

Reactions: Emartin70287
Questioning what is going on with the ordeal is bitching? Maybe if iu would have questioned more of how the program has been going, they wouldn’t be on a 36 year drought
Nothing is going on. This is par for the course in college basketball these days. There’s already 1200 kids in the portal and the season isn’t over. Expect the number to jump close to 2,000 when all said and done. 2,000 kid to ~360 schools is 5 kids a team. Couple that with the NCAA giving several thousands of kids an extra year and prolonging their eligibility which in a lot of cases is now starting to expire, losing 7 kids isn’t unrealistic at all.

Kansas lost 7 guys last year and already has 5 guys in the portal with 3 other guys moving to the draft. Open up your eyes dude, please. This moment has been foreshadowed for the last couple years.

Nothing is going on. This is par for the course in college basketball these days. There’s already 1200 kids in the portal and the season isn’t over. Expect the number to jump close to 2,000 when all said and done. 2,000 kid to ~360 schools is 5 kids a team. Couple that with the NCAA giving several thousands of kids an extra year and prolonging their eligibility which in a lot of cases is now starting to expire, losing 7 kids isn’t unrealistic at all.

Kansas lost 7 guys last year and already has 5 guys in the portal with 3 other guys moving to the draft. Open up your eyes dude, please. This moment has been foreshadowed for the last couple years.
Is Kansas our model? Can we recruit and land anyone we want? Or does IU need to recruit better and develop? I don’t know what will be the right answer but next year will be a very interesting year for Woody.

lol. Only you and the few clannish think that. Woody needs to reset this roster. JG according to some of you was a potential 3. He’s clearly not even a serviceable post. Bates, Logan and now JG are all from Archie days. Let’s move on.
So 2 more is devastating? We are trying to replace duds. The Archie duds are leaving. The only one I personally will miss (from next years roster) is Bates. You are making way to much of this.
Archie had nothing to do with Bates

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
So wish he would have worked out. He did a pretty darn good job filling in for Race when he was hurt, but couldn’t put it all together consistently enough when he had the chances. Tons of raw talent.
He has a very nice vertical jump, and great length for 6’6”. IMO, that’s the extent of his raw talent.
He has bad hands. Poor lateral movement. Low bball IQ. Below average shooter. Very poor passer. He is still a project after 2 yrs. I don’t blame coaching. Not easy to coach up some of that. I hope he reaches whatever potential he has at his next stop. We should be able to fill his spot with someone who can better contribute.

Is Kansas our model? Can we recruit and land anyone we want? Or does IU need to recruit better and develop? I don’t know what will be the right answer but next year will be a very interesting year for Woody.
Woodson’s had one recruiting class my guy. His first recruit was the B10 freshman of the year and a soon to be 1st round draft pick. I’m going to wait until guys like Reneau and Banks play their sophomore years before I start bitching about Woodson’s ability to develop.

I suggest you do the same.

Woodson’s had one recruiting class my guy. His first recruit was the B10 freshman of the year and a soon to be 1st round draft pick. I’m going to wait until guys like Reneau and Banks play their sophomore years before I start bitching about Woodson’s ability to develop.

Wasnt Bates his first commit? Accept the shit instead of just the shine.

Say what you will, but none of these guys who are leaving come as a shock. If we’re honest with ourselves this is what we expected and what a good number of us wanted to happen. Now if it goes very far beyond this, outside of JHS probably declaring for the draft, then I’ll start to get concerned. Right now it just seems like the plan is coming together IMO.

Reactions: birdforbogey

Two if you count in coming class

Two if you count in coming class

Bates and Geronimo didn't and weren't going to work out. Woodson didn't recruit them. Can't blame him for either year here, imo. He inherited them and gave them another year to show their stuff.

Now, if Cupps, Gunn, etc. go the same way, then you can blame Woodson.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Kopp, TJD, Race, JHS, Duncomb, Bates, Geronimo.
7/13 leaving..I’m guessing we may see one more.
Is that healthy?

Three of those are seniors- you call it unhealthy when seniors leave? Seriously?

JHS will be 1st round pick. Also, not in any way unhealthy.

Duncomb just didn't have Big Ten talent.

Bates and Geronimo showed ability but couldn't put it together. If you want to blame coaches for that, fine. That's 2/13.

Three of those are seniors- you call it unhealthy when seniors leave? Seriously?

JHS will be 1st round pick. Also, not in any way unhealthy.

Duncomb just didn't have Big Ten talent.

Bates and Geronimo showed ability but couldn't put it together. If you want to blame coaches for that, fine. That's 2/13.
Unhealthy replacing 7. Why is that so hard to grasp?

Bates and Geronimo didn't and weren't going to work out. Woodson didn't recruit them. Can't blame him for either year here, imo. He inherited them and gave them another year to show their stuff.

He recruited Bates

Exactly.

Plus one or two kids aren't going to work out every couple years in any case. Knight had numerous kids that didn't work out. I'm sure Coach K and John Wooden had kids that didn't work out.

The program is one the upswing big time. Woodson has many reasons to be very desirable to kids via portal. Next year's squad will be better than this. Some will still find a reason to complain as I'd guess that's what makes them happiest.

• Haha
Reactions: dbmhoosier
Exactly.

Plus one or two kids aren't going to work out every couple years in any case. Knight had numerous kids that didn't work out. I'm sure Coach K and John Wooden had kids that didn't work out.

The program is one the upswing big time. Woodson has many reasons to be very desirable to kids via portal. Next year's squad will be better than this. Some will still find a reason to complain as I'd guess that's what makes them happiest.
I highly highly doubt we are better next year.

Unhealthy replacing 7. Why is that so hard to grasp?

3 seniors (so just maybe they planned on replacing them), one five-star 1st round pick (great for the program) and three guys who did very little on the court.

Not sure you could ask for something more healthy.

Meanwhile TJD just went from playing in Europe to a possible 1st round pick.

Never mind that example though.
Some are always going to point to the bad. Unfortunate that Bates didn’t develop, Geronimo was always a long shot because he was so raw. Duncomb literally couldn’t play or practice for 1/2 of each year he was here. You are dead on with the TJD example. I would also add Galloway going from “he can’t play in the Big Ten” to solid starter. X looked very shaky the first 1/3 of the season last year and then ended up our second best player by far. JHS improved all year this year. Kopp went from not being able to guard a chair to solid defensive player and improved shooter. Woodson and staff are developing fine. All 13 players will not develop into stars and with free transfers, many that don’t will think they have a better chance outside of the Big.

Last edited:
3 seniors (so just maybe they planned on replacing them), one five-star 1st round pick (great for the program) and three guys who did very little on the court.

Not sure you could ask for something more healthy.
Replacing over half your roster isn’t a healthy cycle.

Some are always going to point to the bad. Unfortunate that Bates didn’t develop, Geronimo was always a long shot because he was so raw. Duncomb literally could play or practice for 1/2 of each year he was here. You are dead on with the TJD example. I would also add Galloway going from “he can’t play in the Big Ten” to solid starter. X looked very shaky the first 1/3 of the season last year and then ended up our second best player by far. JHS improved all year this year. Kopp went from not being able to guard a chair to solid defensive player and improved shooter. Woodson and staff are developing fine. All 13 players will not develop into stars and with free transfers, many that don’t will think they have a better chance outside of the Big.
Would this be an example of “time” to develop?

Bates is a Woodson recruit he even said he would only play for a black coach at some point

Would this be an example of “time” to develop?
I am not sure what you are asking. I do believe that both Bates and Geronimo have had time. Geronimo seemed to get passed up on the depth chart by freshman Banks by the end of the year so the writing was kind of on the wall. He had to go if he wants a shot at starting somewhere. Bates IMO could still turn it around. But he has had 2 years, solid minutes for freshman/sophomore and just not taken advantage of it. I actually wonder based on the timing if Love or JHS return might not be his deciding factor. If either of those things happen Bates is likely coming off the bench again. Duncomb just couldn’t stay available. Unfortunate but happens. Lots of other example of players developing.

Replacing over half your roster isn’t a healthy cycle.

In the portal world, it'll be the norm for every decent program.

1/4 on average are seniors.

1/4 transfer since it's way easier and some kids have to get fewer minutes than they thought they would.

1 kid goes to the draft early because you're recruiting high talent.

That's over half the roster every year.

Something's probably wrong if you aren't turning over half the roster.

Allen should have gotten in on Geronimo to play football. He may well have been more suited to that with a bit of added muscle

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT