ADVERTISEMENT

Garland

You shouldn't play a pack line with a short guy on a wing, it either creates a driving gap, or open threes. I doubt very much you'll ever see a 6'0, 6'1 backcourt again.

Ever notice how tall and long the 2 guards are at Virginia and Arizona? There's a reason they're on average 6'4 to 6'6.. it has everything to do with the pack line.
I thought Garland had length? Green is supposed to be 6'-3 and CuJo and Durham are listed at 6'-4". Not huge, but not like Yogi and Hulls playing together. Phinisee will be the shortest guard in 2018. I like length, but I believe any of those combinations would be okay with CAM as the coach.

I have to keep reminding myself that we have a proper coach that will pay attention to defense and the personnel on the court.

I thought Garland had length? Green is supposed to be 6'-3 and CuJo and Durham are listed at 6'-4". Not huge, but not like Yogi and Hulls playing together. Phinisee will be the shortest guard in 2018. I like length, but I believe any of those combinations would be okay with CAM as the coach.

I have to keep reminding myself that we have a proper coach that will pay attention to defense and the personnel on the court.
Green may be quick enough.

Just saying - Arch will generally use bigger, taller players at the 2 and 3 than Crean did.

You shouldn't play a pack line with a short guy on a wing, it either creates a driving gap, or open threes. I doubt very much you'll ever see a 6'0, 6'1 backcourt again.

Ever notice how tall and long the 2 guards are at Virginia and Arizona? There's a reason they're on average 6'4 to 6'6.. it has everything to do with the pack line.
OK, but the TMP critics might say, aren't Phinisee and Garland both shorter than the range of height that TMP says is suitable for the pack line defense? Are those guys too short for the pack line defense?

OK, but the TMP critics might say, aren't Phinisee and Garland both shorter than the range of height that TMP says is suitable for the pack line defense? Are those guys too short for the pack line defense?

As long as they aren't playing at the same time and the 2 guard is 6'4-6'6 it shouldn't be a problem.

Do they play on the wing?

Please pay attention in the future

TIA

If you think Crean had the same talent when he took over to what Archie has, you just qualified for Dumbest Poster of All Time. Congrats.

At least I understand what I read. I'll try and use one-syllable words for you in the future since it seems you stopped at Dick and Jane, not that it's likely to matter.

Well he wouldn't have to worry about getting beat on the drive as much and could concentrate on overplaying and not so much containment. It would have helped him considerably to play a team oriented defense, though he was probably a bit too slow footed to to be great at it.

Crean had a thing about over helping, which is fine against a team like Wisconsin who uses dribble penetration more for set up, but not fine with a team like MSU or others that use it to score.

fwiw - JB might have been bad on defense, but he didn't get burnt on it constantly like Hulls did. The JB defense is 1/2 myth, 1/2 truth, but the majority of the blame goes to the coach and not the player.

Crean was just weird, and confusing. Defense needs to be habitual, the less thought required the better. Arch has a complicated D but he has a well defined set of rules with it. Crean changed defensive rules like a 9 year old girl changes Barbie clothes. Confusion was the only norm.

One year he switched everything, even though we had a 6'0 guard. The next year he switched defenses in the middle of possessions and confused our own players more than the opposition...

Arch's defensive rules will stay consistent year after year. Crean was just a weirdo ...

I watched JBJr play from 7th grade up until last year. He never showed any inclination toward the defensive end, and none of his coaches (AAU, dad in HS) ever held him accountable, primarily because of his scoring ability.

And JBJr wasn't very athletic. Not a poor athlete, but below average to what you'd expect from a one-and-done. All in all, he had no better a chance of going pro than a snowball had in surviving Hades.

I would have loved to have seen this coaching staff work with him for a year. He would have exceptionally better.

I watched JBJr play from 7th grade up until last year. He never showed any inclination toward the defensive end, and none of his coaches (AAU, dad in HS) ever held him accountable, primarily because of his scoring ability.

And JBJr wasn't very athletic. Not a poor athlete, but below average to what you'd expect from a one-and-done. All in all, he had no better a chance of going pro than a snowball had in surviving Hades.

I would have loved to have seen this coaching staff work with him for a year. He would have exceptionally better.
Did you ever see his dad play?

Yep - Marion came to NC in '83. Trojans won 103-79; Alford had 49, JBSr 41. Fieldhouse sold out that night and the following night when NC faced Cathedral (Scott Hicks, Sheldon Smith, Jr), when Trojans lost by 1 in OT.

20,000 fans for a weekend of HS basketball. Man, I miss those days.:(
It was one hell of a shooting contest.

Mike Edwards from Greenfield put on some nice shooting performances at the field house.

Reactions: echs86
Mike Edwards from Greenfield put on some nice shooting performances at the field house.
I was pretty young when he played, but a lot of the oldtimers said he was a scoring machine. Same for Marion Pierce (Lewisville '61).

It was one hell of a shooting contest.
I sat in front of two UK boosters - had their blue Wildcats jackets on, whole 9 yards - and they raving before the game about how Blackmon was gonna dominate Alford.

Game starts, and Steve is on fire. Hitting everything, although many of his makes JBSr wasn't guarding him. UK boys say "he won't get those points against Blackmon". Almost on cue, Alford steals a pass on the wing and is flying to the other end for a layup. Blackmon was on the other wing and busts it downcourt to try to block his shot.

Steve goes up, Blackmon goes up . . . and at the last second Alford adjusts just enough to get the shot off and in over a clawing Blackmon. The almost exact play happened later that quarter. Our UK guys were so silent you could have heard a pin drop - if not for the 9,000 New Castle fans going nuts.

Blackmon did get one play in - actually, almost got it. But it was pretty cool. He went to the line for a 1-and-1, and as he was getting ready to shoot the FT he quickly shot/threw the ball hard again the backboard - obviously a play he had done before to get the ball to hit off the front of the rim and pop above it slightly, where he would swoop in and dunk on the rebound.

No one from NC - players, fans - were ready for it Blackmon timed it perfectly, and before anyone could move he had taken off from the foul line and was hanging in the air above the rim, ready to crush the ball through the hoop as it came off the front of the basket. But the ball hit the bankboard just a bit too low, and instead of popping up it rattled in the basket.

Everyone - and I mean EVERYONE - ooohed over that play. Only highlight of the night for the UK guys.

I sat in front of two UK boosters - had their blue Wildcats jackets on, whole 9 yards - and they raving before the game about how Blackmon was gonna dominate Alford.

Game starts, and Steve is on fire. Hitting everything, although many of his makes JBSr wasn't guarding him. UK boys say "he won't get those points against Blackmon". Almost on cue, Alford steals a pass on the wing and is flying to the other end for a layup. Blackmon was on the other wing and busts it downcourt to try to block his shot.

Steve goes up, Blackmon goes up . . . and at the last second Alford adjusts just enough to get the shot off and in over a clawing Blackmon. The almost exact play happened later that quarter. Our UK guys were so silent you could have heard a pin drop - if not for the 9,000 New Castle fans going nuts.

Blackmon did get one play in - actually, almost got it. But it was pretty cool. He went to the line for a 1-and-1, and as he was getting ready to shoot the FT he quickly shot/threw the ball hard again the backboard - obviously a play he had done before to get the ball to hit off the front of the rim and pop above it slightly, where he would swoop in and dunk on the rebound.

No one from NC - players, fans - were ready for it Blackmon timed it perfectly, and before anyone could move he had taken off from the foul line and was hanging in the air above the rim, ready to crush the ball through the hoop as it came off the front of the basket. But the ball hit the bankboard just a bit too low, and instead of popping up it rattled in the basket.

Everyone - and I mean EVERYONE - ooohed over that play. Only highlight of the night for the UK guys.
That’s a great memory! I am looking for some great memories from Archie and the IU basketball team.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
He scored 41 but only had a single highlight play? I kind of find that hard to believe.
He was a helluva scorer - JBJr got it honest. James had a sweet finger roll down the lane he was money with.

But NC actually kept him from going off and doing crazy dunks. Sr was a much better athlete than Jr ever was, much stronger taking the ball to the basket. Blackmon played a great game (obviously, 41 points) but Steve got the better of him that night. People here in New Castle still talk to this day about that weekend, about Alford taking the ball up against Blackmon and scoring those layups against him. Wish I had that game on tape.

Not me.

I danced when I read he was leaving.

Expecting him to "suddenly embrace defense" is like expecting a certain 70 year old to "suddenly stop being a horse's butt all the time on Twitter."

Not me.

Expecting him to "suddenly embrace defense" is like expecting a certain 70 year old to "suddenly stop being a horse's butt all the time on Twitter."

I wasn't thrilled to see him go, but fully expected it. While it would be interesting to see him work with this staff...had it not worked it could have been a chemistry nightmare with him on the bench.

Not me.

JBJr, like Yogi, had adults in his life who - while having well-intentions - weren't always doing things that was the best for him as a player. Never thought he was a bad kid, just one who could have developed into a better player with great coaching.

I wasn't thrilled to see him go, but fully expected it. While it would be interesting to see him work with this staff...had it not worked it could have been a chemistry nightmare with him on the bench.

You might be right, but with Archie's approach (at least what I'm hearing) I think he would have been ok. But, certainly, JBJr would have been held accountable for poor defense.

Have to throw this out there - but the greatest shootout in state history didn't occur at New Castle Chrysler Fieldhouse, it occurred in New Castle, but at the old Church Street gym!!! Ray Pavy scored 51 and Jimmy Rayl scored 49!!! I believe that was the last game at Church Street gym, but not 100% sure.

Have to throw this out there - but the greatest shootout in state history didn't occur at New Castle Chrysler Fieldhouse, it occurred in New Castle, but at the old Church Street gym!!! Ray Pavy scored 51 and Jimmy Rayl scored 49!!! I believe that was the last game at Church Street gym, but not 100% sure.
Yes! I remember going to games at Church Street Gym. What I remember is how claustrophobic they were, and we seemed to be sitting right on top of the action!

I remember that day! ol' Jimmy jumped across the entire Wabash river to get there, and the basket must have been 15 ft. tall. Fifteen I tell ya!

Yes, it was the last regular-season game.

Talked to Ray one time and he said they were suppose to have the Fieldhouse ready for his senior year, but a collapse of the structural steel delayed the opening for another year.

Reactions: echs86
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT