ADVERTISEMENT

Galloway is coming off the bench now right?

I anticipate Galloway, Rice, Mgbako, Reneau, and Ballo starting game1 and they can figure it out from there.

That's my guess as of April, 2024.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Carlyle shot 40% on catch and shoot 3's but you think Galloway is going to start. That's ridiculous.
Galloway is a 5th year senior who has started 56 of the last 63 games.

Kanaan Carlyle has won exactly 6 games as a starter for a really bad Stanford team.

I would say it's pretty obvious who is likely to start. Carlyle may work into the starting line up. We need to see the kid play in an IU jersey before jumping to conclusions about his abilities to displace a key starter.

Stanford lost to Michigan. UM only won 8 games all season.

Kanaan Carlyle has won exactly 6 games as a starter for a really bad Stanford team.

I would say it's pretty obvious who is likely to start. Carlyle may work into the starting line up. We need to see the kid play in an IU jersey before jumping to conclusions about his abilities to displace a key starter.

You missed all the posts on social media where Galloway told the staff he had no problem coming off the bench.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Carlyle shot 40% on catch and shoot 3's but you think Galloway is going to start. That's ridiculous.
With Coach Woodson liking experience, starting Galloway, Rice, Mgbako, Reneau, and Ballo is as likely as any other. Then Carlyle spells Galloway 5 minutes in and plays more minutes overall than Galloway.

Wouldn't surprise me at all.

No way to know, until they at least play an exhibition. Carlyle will be a fixture though by quite early in the year. He's going to be high end.

He didn’t play against Michigan, he missed the first 9 games with an academic issue. He scored 28 in a win against Arizona and 31 against Washington St, the two best teams in the PAC 12. Had 5 games where he hit 3+ 3 pointers. Again all as a true freshman.

He didn’t transfer here nor is IU paying him the kind of money they are to play 15 mpg off the bench as you previously suggested. Theres a better chance Carlyle leads the team in scoring next year than plays 15 mpg off the bench. He’s easily the most dynamic guard on the roster and a true three level scorer. Galloway will get minutes as he can play all the 3 perimeter positions, but he’s going to be in a reduced role who takes a back seat to both Carlyle and Rice who have way higher ceilings.

With Coach Woodson liking experience, starting Galloway, Rice, Mgbako, Reneau, and Ballo is as likely as any other. Then Carlyle spells Galloway 5 minutes in and plays more minutes overall than Galloway.

Wouldn't surprise me at all.

No way to know, until they at least play an exhibition. Carlyle will be a fixture though by quite early in the year. He's going to be high end.
But Trey has to start. He's the golden boy. Trey will be backup point guard. These recruits are eliminating his time on the wing.

I will be the first to say, did not think Gallo would be coming off the bench. There is no way he is still starting now though, right? Kanaan and Rice start?

I go to bed at 9, so I watched almost no Pac 12 games, unless I was randomly up and heard Bill Walton on a call. Speaking of, he isn't going to boycott basketball now?? Just start calling the B1G the conference of champions. Would love to see Bill in the Hall calling Ucla vs. IU, would be epic.

All that being said, I have been watching YouTube on these 2 new guys. Welp, we have guards that can dribble. This is a new concept for IU. Really don't know what to expect. These are dynamic athletes, we just upgraded in a major way. Trey would be great at 15-20 mins a game. That's when IU could be really good.

Woody, not much pressure on you now. :). Don't F it up!
I’d take the other side of that bet. Galloway will start.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
But Trey has to start. He's the golden boy. Trey will be backup point guard. These recruits are eliminating his time on the wing.
My favorite new player we got is Carlyle, next Rice, but close over Ballo.

Even though I was pumped about him, I called Carlyle a black hole in that he always shoots, but more highlights show a lot of nice passes, so I was wrong there. But he sure CAN shoot, and will. I like his motion a lot better than Rice, who doesn't suck.

I just won't be surprised if Galloway still gets a lot of minutes. And early in the season even starts a few. And that's not all bad. Energy, corrals some long rebounds.

Reactions: nichlee
No, Woodson avoided Galloway at the end of the season. Galloway made the decision to stay, and then Woodson started recruiting over him. Expect an announcement that Galloway is transferring soon. I’m an insider.

I think it's very possible. Let's see how the week goes.

Honolulu time? Or are you 75? My kids are up later than that. Good for you though...I want to go to bed at 9 all the time but can't 🤣
I know your kidding but everyone's sleep clocks are different for different reasons. Maybe yours is the one we should joke about vbg

You missed all the posts on social media where Galloway told the staff he had no problem coming off the bench.
I didn't miss them. It isn't up to Trey. It's up to who has better play. I expect Galloway to be impactful and a starter. I could be wrong, but I'm betting on him vs who we have on paper.

Reactions: bbafficionado
CMW needs to win now and win convincingly. He needs 20+ wins and a lock for the big dance. It can't come down to winning the conf tourney or staying home again.

He may go with one group starting but he can't afford to lock in from day one. The best options play. I really think Trey's energy off the bench on D could be a huge positive for the team and take pressure off of him offensively. I'd start Carlyle until he shows he cannot score or is a complete liability on D.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
CMW needs to win now and win convincingly. He needs 20+ wins and a lock for the big dance. It can't come down to winning the conf tourney or staying home again.
He could roll the ball out there and hit those minimums. Needs much better.

But, I think we should do very well. I'm starting to believe!

TG can play 3 positions and probably doesn't care if he starts or not. Barring injury he will still probably be around 25 min per game. What's the over under on how many minutes he plays.

Trey will be one of the first guys off the bench. And because he can play any of the perimeter positions, he'll get plenty of playing time. Especially if we're done signing perimeter oriented players.

As it stands right now...

Trey likely comes in for whoever gets subbed out first...unless Rice ends up getting in to early foul trouble, then I think Cupps is a situational "first sub". But really anyone else...and Trey/Tucker are the first couple guys coming in off the bench.

Ballo or Reneau comes out, Mack slides over to 4, Trey comes in as the "3"...

Mack or Carlyle come out, Trey...

Then as the game goes on, Trey moves around and plays any position needed 2-4.

He'll end up playing 25 minutes a game or so, he'll be the leader on our team, but he isn't going to start.

Reactions: nichlee
It seems Gallo excelled being the energy guy off the bench … it will be interesting to see if Gallo’s and Leals’s experience give them an edge. Regardless, Gallo won’t be playing iron man minutes next year. Need someone to excel in Anthony Walker’s role from last year now … Ballo won’t be the 20/10 guy Ware was last year.
Unless Leal has drastically improved he will contribute about as much as he has last year. Occasional minutes, maybe a jumpshot here and there that everyone will get over excited about, pass and go to the corner like Cupps does, etc..... Hopefully I'm wrong.

Always felt it's more important to watch who's in at the end. Gallo may start every game. May not play long minutes. Who knows. Pretty sure he will be rewarded for coming back regardless of the role and good for him. Go Hoosiers!

No, Woodson avoided Galloway at the end of the season. Galloway made the decision to stay, and then Woodson started recruiting over him. Expect an announcement that Galloway is transferring soon. I’m an insider.
Zero insiders on this site. Only people with twitter handles.

Always felt it's more important to watch who's in at the end. Gallo may start every game. May not play long minutes. Who knows. Pretty sure he will be rewarded for coming back regardless of the role and good for him. Go Hoosiers!
Does seniority earn you a spot in the lineup or do you have to earn it? When Galloway played a 6th man role in Woodson’s first year he was an instant energy guy when he went in. I see that as his role next season.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
Galloway is going nowhere. He helped in the portal more than some coaches.

I think starters will be Rice, Galloway, MM, Reneau and Ballo. I think Carlyle will be first off the bench for Galloway and Cupps first off bench for Rice. Start or not, Rice, Galloway and Carlyle will likely get the most minutes at guard.

Personally, I hope as rarely as possible, starting spots are promised to anyone. I can imagine you'd pretty much have to make that commitment to Ballo, but with Carlyle, I hope the message was something like, "we feel we needed to improve our backcourt and that you can help with that. We have a good experienced 5th year guy returning and so we'll start and play whoever we feel helps us the most."

But, my guess is that Carlyle and Rice were recruited to come in and expected to play a lot of minutes.

I will be the first to say, did not think Gallo would be coming off the bench. There is no way he is still starting now though, right? Kanaan and Rice start?

Galloway will be just as important in practice as games.

But he's 2nd rotation in Woody's O.

Reactions: Spartans9312
Personally, I hope as rarely as possible, starting spots are promised to anyone. I can imagine you'd pretty much have to make that commitment to Ballo, but with Carlyle, I hope the message was something like, "we feel we needed to improve our backcourt and that you can help with that. We have a good experienced 5th year guy returning and so we'll start and play whoever we feel helps us the most."

But, my guess is that Carlyle and Rice were recruited to come in and expected to play a lot of minutes.
Can't disagree with any of this.

I will say that after watching Carlyle in a lot of pac12 game clips, he is very quick, like Taylor Battle. But I think he looks very lazy defending screens and I continue to assess that his shooting is more like "getting his own points", more than it is "hitting shots when we need them".
Still, I welcome him as a talented scorer who can help IU with guard depth and scoring, just as you mentioned. Hopefully Woodson molds him into a star.

When Carlyle signed with Stanford as a high schooler he was ranked #15 in his class. He ended up at #45. He’s actually considered to have a higher ceiling than Rice and both are talented enough to play in the league. I think it depends on how well he plays with Rice and his 77% from the line gives him an edge.

Does seniority earn you a spot in the lineup or do you have to earn it? When Galloway played a 6th man role in Woodson’s first year he was an instant energy guy when he went in. I see that as his role next season.
Doesn't that work both ways. Shouldn't the new guys have to earn their minutes too. I doubt Galloway has been handed any starting job in his previous years and I suspect he will earn plenty minutes next season.

Doesn't that work both ways. Shouldn't the new guys have to earn their minutes too. I doubt Galloway has been handed any starting job in his previous years and I suspect he will earn plenty minutes next season.
No not always ... there's situations where the better individual sits for better team fit.

Reactions: jsig

I go to bed at 9, so I watched almost no Pac 12 games, unless I was randomly up and heard Bill Walton on a call. Speaking of, he isn't going to boycott basketball now?? Just start calling the B1G the conference of champions. Would love to see Bill in the Hall calling Ucla vs. IU, would be epic.

All that being said, I have been watching YouTube on these 2 new guys. Welp, we have guards that can dribble. This is a new concept for IU. Really don't know what to expect. These are dynamic athletes, we just upgraded in a major way. Trey would be great at 15-20 mins a game. That's when IU could be really good.

Woody, not much pressure on you now. :). Don't F it up!
Starting assignments should be handed out in late October. And even then, they should be subject to change at any moment.

I didn't miss them. It isn't up to Trey. It's up to who has better play. I expect Galloway to be impactful and a starter. I could be wrong, but I'm betting on him vs who we have on paper.
There is no way Carlyle came here to set behind Galloway. Galloway will play alot but he is not starting.

Starting assignments should be handed out in late October. And even then, they should be subject to change at any moment.
Sure. But this is woodys team. I haven’t seen subject to change at any moment ever.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT