ADVERTISEMENT

Galloway is coming off the bench now right?

Cavanagh

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2012
I will be the first to say, did not think Gallo would be coming off the bench. There is no way he is still starting now though, right? Kanaan and Rice start?

I go to bed at 9, so I watched almost no Pac 12 games, unless I was randomly up and heard Bill Walton on a call. Speaking of, he isn't going to boycott basketball now?? Just start calling the B1G the conference of champions. Would love to see Bill in the Hall calling Ucla vs. IU, would be epic.

All that being said, I have been watching YouTube on these 2 new guys. Welp, we have guards that can dribble. This is a new concept for IU. Really don't know what to expect. These are dynamic athletes, we just upgraded in a major way. Trey would be great at 15-20 mins a game. That's when IU could be really good.

Woody, not much pressure on you now. :). Don't F it up!

I will be the first to say, did not think Gallo would be coming off the bench. There is no way he is still starting now though, right? Kanaan and Rice start?

I go to bed at 9, so I watched almost no Pac 12 games, unless I was randomly up and heard Bill Walton on a call. Speaking of, he isn't going to boycott basketball now?? Just start calling the B1G the conference of champions. Would love to see Bill in the Hall calling Ucla vs. IU, would be epic.

All that being said, I have been watching YouTube on these 2 new guys. Welp, we have guards that can dribble. This is a new concept for IU. Really don't know what to expect. These are dynamic athletes, we just upgraded in a major way. Trey would be great at 15-20 mins a game. That's when IU could be really good.

Yes, Galloway demonstrated his ceiling as a starter, and it’s not good enough to win. He was recruited over. Woodson is letting him stay because he wants to win. He will get opportunities in every game.

The eye test from last season indicated to me Gallo, and several other players, were much better shooters and players when they weren't fatigued.

My hope is IU makes a big jump in the tempo analytics next season, in which case, loading up with 8-10 starter level talents really creates synergy where you are getting the best versions of players that get between 15 to 25 mpg.

Yes, Galloway demonstrated his ceiling as a starter, and it’s not good enough to win. He was recruited over. Woodson is letting him stay because he wants to win. He will get opportunities in every game.
Woodson allowed him to stay!!! Are you freaking kidding?!?!?! He needed Galloway and Leal to do exactly what they did. Will be interesting to see how they react when they realize they’ve been thrown to the curb.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Woodson allowed him to stay!!! Are you freaking kidding?!?!?! He needed Galloway and Leal to do exactly what they did. Will be interesting to see how they react when they realize they’ve been thrown to the curb.
Leal stayed for 4 years, the vast majority of that sitting on the bench. I don't think he's under any illusions.

The eye test from last season indicated to me Gallo, and several other players, were much better shooters and players when they weren't fatigued.

My hope is IU makes a big jump in the tempo analytics next season, in which case, loading up with 8-10 starter level talents really creates synergy where you are getting the best versions of players that get between 15 to 25 mpg.
Gallo is a much better shooter when we have another dynamic point guard on the floor like JHS.

This is all good. Gallo is a natural 6th man as we all know. He is streaky. If he comes on and plays well he will get plenty of minutes. If he is off he won’t play as much as we aren’t forced to rely on him.

Idk for sure but he seems fine with all this. He was part of the Rice and Carlyle’s visits — taking them around town and following them on social media. He is on board with the portal recruiting and therefore what it means for his role.

Leal stayed for 4 years, the vast majority of that sitting on the bench. I don't think he's under any illusions.
My answer was more related to Galloway.

I want the best players on the floor. If that means Galloway on the bench, so be it.

Was Woodson honest with Galloway and told him he was going to recruit players that would put him on the bench?

Reactions: Bucket Getter
This is all good. Gallo is a natural 6th man as we all know. He is streaky. If he comes on and plays well he will get plenty of minutes. If he is off he won’t play as much as we aren’t forced to rely on him.

Idk for sure but he seems fine with all this. He was part of the Rice and Carlyle’s visits — taking them around town and following them on social media. He is on board with the portal recruiting and therefore what it means for his role.
Good deal if he’s on board. We’re a better team with him being 6-7-8th man.

I want the best players on the floor. If that means Galloway on the bench, so be it.

Was Woodson honest with Galloway and told him he was going to recruit players that would put him on the bench?
No, Woodson avoided Galloway at the end of the season. Galloway made the decision to stay, and then Woodson started recruiting over him. Expect an announcement that Galloway is transferring soon. I’m an insider.

• Haha
Reactions: nichlee

Whether Gallo starts or not depends upon the maturity and chemistry between Rice and Carlyle. They might both start or they might switch off for each other. These two new guys have terrific potential, but they'll have to prove it on the court.

Galloway should compete to be the starter. If he is better, then it gets murky as to how to use him.

No, Woodson avoided Galloway at the end of the season. Galloway made the decision to stay, and then Woodson started recruiting over him. Expect an announcement that Galloway is transferring soon. I’m an insider.
If that’s Trey’s attitude about this, if he thinks he is ENTITLED to a starting spot, then good riddance. I thought I seen fake hustle from him more than once this past season anyway….

Reactions: Spartans9312
Thrown to the curb? If they think that, no wonder we had so many limitations last year.
Are you thinking Galloway is so soft he'll feel recruited over instead of seeing it as giving him enough support to win?

Coach Cig says competition is what you need to be great, that players find a way to make it onto the field, not sit behind guys. Hopefully Coach Woodson thinks the same.

“Big Ten conference of champions “ coming out of his mouth? Cold day in hell. No one hated this move more than Bill.

Reactions: 4IUSox2

We have a real starting 5 for the first time in many years. Trey on the bench.

Just be sure when Trey is in the game there is a complimentary player who can score. Also, never underestimate the thickness of Woody’s old school bullheaded skull. Would you be surprised if Woody trotted our Trey as a starter every game this coming season and only avg’d 20 minutes a game? He’ll start him simply because of his seniority. I am not saying he will or should, but I would have zero surprise if he did.

you were going well till the end.

It seems Gallo excelled being the energy guy off the bench … it will be interesting to see if Gallo’s and Leals’s experience give them an edge. Regardless, Gallo won’t be playing iron man minutes next year. Need someone to excel in Anthony Walker’s role from last year now … Ballo won’t be the 20/10 guy Ware was last year.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo

I'm not a fan of Woodson as well but why question if the long time head coach didn't talk to his most veteran player about the expectations of coming back for his 5th season when Trey finished his senior speech of by saying he'll "be coming back to play for the best fans, best place - Assembly Hall, and for the best coach in the country". Yeah Woodson has been a let down but I'd be surprised if he isn't realistic with the players about his expectations. I trust that Gallo wants to win and realizes the best shot he has is off the bench in a rotation role.
It seems Gallo excelled being the energy guy off the bench … it will be interesting to see if Gallo’s and Leals’s experience give them an edge. Regardless, Gallo won’t be playing iron man minutes next year. Need someone to excel in Anthony Walker’s role from last year now … Ballo won’t be the 20/10 guy Ware was last year.
Agreed on a Walker replacement but we don't need Ware type stats from our big men this season with the guard overhaul. Ballo just needs to get boards (mostly offensive), clog up the paint on D, and provide on the pick and roll. If the backup can provide an athletic presence around the rim on defense, that will be enough.

Woody tends to be loyal to Srs but Gallow is most effective coming off the bench and turning the game on it's ear.

He can shake shit up fast.

Though I doubt he will, if his shooting comes back and he can hit 40% from 3 on decent volume, then I could see him starting. It's also nice to have someone on the floor that understands what we're doing defensively. I have no idea how good these 2 new guards are on the defensive end.

I'd be surprised if he isn't realistic with the players about his expectations. I trust that Gallo wants to win and realizes the best shot he has is off the bench in a rotation role.
Are you suggesting that Woody met with Galloway prior to Senior Night and told him that he should expect a reserve role the following season if he came back?

Not only that, he's versatile. He can play 1-3 and will get his PT based on that fact.

Woody tends to be loyal to Srs but Gallow is most effective coming off the bench and turning the game on it's ear.

He can shake shit up fast.
His game excels when he plays with a boost of energy. Having him come off the bench often for shorter stints, likely maximizes what he can truly provide IU.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
Are you suggesting that Woody met with Galloway prior to Senior Night and told him that he should expect a reserve role the following season if he came back?
I am almost certain that between Woody saying he didn't know what Leal and Gallo's plans were for '24-'25 and the boys announcing they would be back, Woodson and the coaches had a talk with them about their expectations if they wanted to come back. I would also wager that this talk included what Woodson's view for the makeup of the roster and how Gallo would fit in.

It would not surprise me if the home state, fifth year decided that stepping back from 33.3(!) minutes per game last season to a sixth man role so that transfers could be guaranteed minutes was for the best for his team. People whinge about NIL and mercenaries and not representing the name on the front of the jersey but it increasingly seems Indiana has two players who are true blu... crimson and are bought in to win.

I am almost certain that between Woody saying he didn't know what Leal and Gallo's plans were for '24-'25 and the boys announcing they would be back, Woodson and the coaches had a talk with them about their expectations if they wanted to come back. I would also wager that this talk included what Woodson's view for the makeup of the roster and how Gallo would fit in.

It would not surprise me if the home state, fifth year decided that stepping back from 33.3(!) minutes per game last season to a sixth man role so that transfers could be guaranteed minutes was for the best for his team. People whinge about NIL and mercenaries and not representing the name on the front of the jersey but it increasingly seems Indiana has two players who are true blu... crimson and are bought in to win.

I'd take that wager. Prior to the last home game, it would be quite the gut punch and morale killer to be told that if you came back next year, it would be in a reserve capacity. Besides, Woody didn't know who he was going to acquire in the Portal, if anyone (see last year), so to broach that topic with Galloway in early March wouldn't have made any sense. Last, I don't think Woody knows who will start next season. I don't think he promised starting roles to Rice and Carlyle.

Reactions: TomEric4756
I'd take that wager. Prior to the last home game, it would be quite the gut punch and morale killer to be told that if you came back next year, it would be in a reserve capacity. Besides, Woody didn't know who he was going to acquire in the Portal, if anyone (see last year), so to broach that topic with Galloway in early March wouldn't have made any sense. Last, I don't think Woody knows who will start next season. I don't think he promised starting roles to Rice and Carlyle.
Let’s hope he didn’t… Doesn’t NIL make today’s ‘student athletes’ all the more ‘entitled’.
I’m confident Cupps, Leal and Galloway will make the incoming guards earn their playing time.

Reactions: Willdog7

Carlyle needs to clean up his game a bit before getting that starting role. TO's were too high. From a couple games I watched, he gets them from making bad reads and passes, not as much from trying to score. So moving to the 2 spot should help that.

His numbers on catch and shoots were fair, his mid game is solid, but his numbers on pull ups were pretty much horrible.. he has the ability, just needs to refine it. Again moving to the 2 should help that also, more catch and shoot, less pull ups..

The book on him is he takes some bad shots... so he may need controlled a bit .. Gotta love confident players though ... Consistency is a worry also, but that's what freshman are... He also has some range on his shot, out to 25' ...

Last edited:
Carlyle needs to clean up his game a bit before getting that starting role. TO's were too high. From a couple games I watched, he gets them from making bad reads and passes, not as much from trying to score. So moving to the 2 spot should help that.

His numbers on catch and shoots were fair, his mid game is solid, but his numbers on pull ups were pretty much horrible.. he has the ability, just needs to refine it. Again moving to the 2 should help that also, more catch and shoot, less pull ups..

The book on him is he takes some bad shots... so he may need controlled a bit .. Gotta love confident players though ... Consistency is a worry also, but that's what freshman are... He also has some range on his shot, out to 25' ...
He was a freshman. He will play off the ball now. Galloway will be backup point because he can't play the wing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT