ADVERTISEMENT

Funny to watch all the haters crying

They made a couple tough three’s and the rest were wide open because of the defensive inefficiency. If this was a better team we lose by twenty or more like at Wisky. The guards just can’t stay in front of there man. This far along in the season, we should not be playing this bad of defense. I think Miller should start benching players who can’t or won’t play defense and I’m not talking for minutes but for games.
Teams are spacing us and playing five out with no one in the lane at times.. Why? Because our four is 6'10 245lbs, and our three is 6'7 230 and neither have been perimeter defenders until this year and they are at a disadvantage guarding drivers and because our three and four in a standard defense (in the lane) help very well and cause considerable problems.

What do we get out of it? Well, on the other end, Free Throws and Offensive Rebounds because their three and four are smaller and can't rebound with ours and can't guard them without fouling..Even when we go small, we're still not small at 5 or 3.

It's always a trade off. There's no magic wands.. There is always a counter.

What do we need to do better? Contain the dribbler, position much better off the ball, be decisive on help and not stuck in the taint, get back in transition (especially secondary) and close out better on threes. Basically we need to defend better everywhere but it all starts with ball pressure and containing the dribbler and that includes where the backline players position. This is where having Rob full time will help but our bigs have to get much smarter.

Last edited:
Oh please enlighten me on the trends. I mean, you are obviously gifted with unerring basketball sight and see everything. I need a good laugh. Let's hear it.

Really? It doesn’t take Mike Krzyzewski or John Wooden to look at our games from 11/10/17 (a 90-69 loss to Indiana State) up to this latest squeaker against a depleted Nebraska team to see that our trend the last 3 years is that we’ve been a middling team.

The trend started mediocre and hasn’t gotten much, if any, better — and our team still looks lost out there.

If you and Archie and everybody else who hates hearing this stuff wants to stop hearing it, there’s only one way to put a halt to it.

Really? It doesn’t take Mike Krzyzewski or John Wooden to look at our games from 11/10/17 (a 90-69 loss to Indiana State) up to this latest squeaker against a depleted Nebraska team to see that our trend the last 3 years is that we’ve been a middling team.

The trend started mediocre and hasn’t gotten much, if any, better — and our team still looks lost out there.

If you and Archie and everybody else who hates hearing this stuff wants to stop hearing it, there’s only one way to put a halt to it.
Are you going to enlighten me, or just continue bleating?

I mean, it would be great to actually talk about basketball for once on here instead of how fans feel about basketball.

Are you going to enlighten me, or just continue bleating?

I mean, it would be great to actually talk about basketball for once on here instead of how fans feel about basketball.
I would love to hear Archie's thoughts on how far we were supposed to deviate from the packline. Our 4s and 5s were too wide to plug any holes on drives. Our other off ball defenders were also wide and extended. I'm sure some of it was by design against a guard oriented team. We still needed everyone to stay in front of their men. We broke down too often.

I honestly think some of these folks are shills. they are almost maniacal in their defense of miller, and sling personal attacks like they're his offspring. honestly i'm in the group that think he's done a lousy job. i also believe he has time to right the ship, and i hope he does. that would be far easier than going through yet another hiring process with no guarantee of the outcome
Please explain how Archie has done such a lousy job. Obviously this team is a disaster

LOL hondo and the oracles of basketball will be here shortly to sling personal insults. To listen to them you'd think they're defending a volunteer researcher trying to cure cancer or some other project that takes time instead of a coach making $3 mil a year to coach a sport that largely just needs five guys in a basketball rich state to play with effort.

what amazes me most is that somehow they think if we criticize the coach or the team we're on the verge of suicide over it when most of us watch it as a hobby that's fun but not very important at all in our lives.

the fervor that they post with honestly makes me wonder if they are shills of the program. didn't that go on under crean? no sane person could be that invested....
There is a difference in being concerned and constantly running down the program, players, and coach. It’s ok, nuance doesn’t suit many.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
We would have lost last year and the year before.
Nebraska was on fire. They played way over their heads.
We weathered a 3 point storm.
I’m happy we won. I like this team.
Go Hoosiers!
None of the typical haters thought we would have anywhere near 10 wins at this time. They will lie to make themselves feel better, but with the loss of Morgan and Langford, there were some serious question marks. Archie will get zero credit for getting this team to where they are now, and obviously it’s impossible that they improve any further this season. This is clearly the finished product...

No kidding. Either everything’s peachy — we’re 10-1!! — or else you’re a “hater.”

Even the head coach and players seem to realize that we’re not a very good team...and they’ll say so publicly. Yet there are people here who can’t abide that unfortunate truth.

It doesn’t mean the season’s over. But we’ve got a lot of improving to do, and not much time to do it.

Oh, and yes there is a trend. Only the most blinkered fan doesn’t see it — not because they can’t, but because they won’t.
Wrong. There are clearly haters on this board. If you can’t see that, are you one of them? I doubt there is a single person who believes at Big Red Butthole does that everything is rainbows. Lots of room for improvement, but the whole sky is falling BS gets old. And when the team toughs it out on an off night, I give them credit for it. Giving the team props doesn’t mean positive people don’t see room for improvement. Eat your own dog food.

Wow. Your dumb. How about you cherry pick a couple games that suit your narrative and make some idiotic general statement as fact. Please try harder. TMP is bitch slapping you.

Yeah, we probably should have beaten Nebraska easy...but they played with heart, and hit some tough shots...Duke and Kentucky both lost at home to lesser opponents this season...I'll take the win...

I would love to hear Archie's thoughts on how far we were supposed to deviate from the packline. Our 4s and 5s were too wide to plug any holes on drives. Our other off ball defenders were also wide and extended. I'm sure some of it was by design against a guard oriented team. We still needed everyone to stay in front of their men. We broke down too often.

He made an adjustment early in the season and extended the defense because we closed so poorly, unpacked a bit on the wings but you're correct that backline was extended too far and it shouldn't be. Ball top: both wings should extend but the backline should still sag towards lane. Ball on side: both defenders on weak side should sag both defenders ball side extend. We were playing player over lane too much. fwiw - unpacking the wings is what is causing that driving gap.

The choice is, give up that drive, or give up that shot. The other choice is our wings need to close out better so they can go back to playing packed, but they tend to be bigger and less mobile than theirs and still get burnt on the dribble.

But it doesn't matter when Durham or Green or Franklin and everyone else gives a dribbler a step and is late,You have to contain the ball or you're putting your help guys in terrible position. It's symbiotic.

Against Uconn who was built more traditionally we swarmed the penetrator, but that takes timing, communication and trust.... and it can't be done half assed it has to be strong or you're getting burnt by kick out threes.

Damn if ya do, damned if ya don't ..

Last edited:
Wow. Your dumb. How about you cherry pick a couple games that suit your narrative and make some idiotic general statement as fact. Please try harder. TMP is bitch slapping you.
"YOUR dumb" and you have the temerity to write: "nuance doesn't suit many." Hilarious. I guess irony doesn't either....

Please explain how Archie has done such a lousy job. Obviously this team is a disaster
Really? We're in year 3 and still have a marginal team at best. The cupcake schedule is pure fool's gold. Had we had a decent schedule we'd likely be a 500 team if we're getting blown out at wisconsin against an average wisconsin team and giving up 90 points at home to nebraska even though our talent level far exceeds their talent level as pointed out by numerous other posters. last year we were 12-2 and then had an absolutely ridiculous losing streak. somehow dolt's like you think finding five guys to hustle and play hard takes half a decade. hell coaches are getting fired in football after 2 years. the rebuild there is far more challenging than basketball. look at other sports as well. soccer clubs drown iu basketball in every conceivable way and there isn't a coach on earth that would get 3 years to "rebuild" a club. with fans like you i trust IU basketball coach is about the best gig a guy could get. put together 4 lousy to average seasons, collect 20 plus mil with a buyout, and move on. why you and your brethren's expectations are so low is beyond many of us. you must be a shill.

Yeah, we probably should have beaten Nebraska easy...but they played with heart, and hit some tough shots...Duke and Kentucky both lost at home to lesser opponents this season...I'll take the win...

You cant compare IU to Duke and Uk when they win championships.
Ive seen this happening a lot anymore.
Stop it

Teams are spacing us and playing five out with no one in the lane at times.. Why? Because our four is 6'10 245lbs, and our three is 6'7 230 and neither have been perimeter defenders until this year and they are at a disadvantage guarding drivers and because our three and four in a standard defense (in the lane) help very well and cause considerable problems.

What do we get out of it? Well, on the other end, Free Throws and Offensive Rebounds because their three and four are smaller and can't rebound with ours and can't guard them without fouling..Even when we go small, we're still not small at 5 or 3.

It's always a trade off. There's no magic wands.. There is always a counter.

What do we need to do better? Contain the dribbler, position much better off the ball, be decisive on help and not stuck in the taint, get back in transition (especially secondary) and close out better on threes. Basically we need to defend better everywhere but it all starts with ball pressure and containing the dribbler and that includes where the backline players position. This is where having Rob full time will help but our bigs have to get much smarter.

Once you get stuck in taint (hairy is the worst), it’s very difficult to get out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
Really? We're in year 3 and still have a marginal team at best. The cupcake schedule is pure fool's gold. Had we had a decent schedule we'd likely be a 500 team if we're getting blown out at wisconsin against an average wisconsin team and giving up 90 points at home to nebraska even though our talent level far exceeds their talent level as pointed out by numerous other posters. last year we were 12-2 and then had an absolutely ridiculous losing streak. somehow dolt's like you think finding five guys to hustle and play hard takes half a decade. hell coaches are getting fired in football after 2 years. the rebuild there is far more challenging than basketball. look at other sports as well. soccer clubs drown iu basketball in every conceivable way and there isn't a coach on earth that would get 3 years to "rebuild" a club. with fans like you i trust IU basketball coach is about the best gig a guy could get. put together 4 lousy to average seasons, collect 20 plus mil with a buyout, and move on. why you and your brethren's expectations are so low is beyond many of us. you must be a shill.
Oh. So the problem is we simply need 5 guys who hustle. IU clearly should have hired you. Every successful coach has clearly started out their stint on absolute fire... Your problem is you have no vision. You can’t see the positive things as your emotions clearly get in the way. Your king Derp.

Please give us the benefit of knowing your D1 basketball coaching experience.

Oh. So the problem is we simply need 5 guys who hustle. IU clearly should have hired you. Every successful coach has clearly started out their stint on absolute fire... Your problem is you have no vision. You can’t see the positive things as your emotions clearly get in the way. Your king Derp.

I certainly see more negatives than positives thus far. i think the difference is that we disagree on how hard it is to put together a team that's competitive night in and night out. i played a D1 sport. did you? tactical stuff i get takes time. getting players to buy in and play hard can and should happen on day one. some coaches have it, some don't.

So watch another team.
I think the problem is that many of these posters do not watch college basketball, just IU basketball. They can only compare this team to IU teams in the glory days. Problem is that college basketball isn’t played at that high of a level in the modern era. Great players leave early, good players transfer and AAU doesn’t develop fundamentals.
What if Butler still had Brunk?
What if IU still had Romeo?
What if Devonte was fundamentally sound?
IU isn’t the only team struggling to be consistent, inconsistency is a college basketball epidemic.

I think the problem is that many of these posters do not watch college basketball, just IU basketball. They can only compare this team to IU teams in the glory days. Problem is that college basketball isn’t played at that high of a level in the modern era. Great players leave early, good players transfer and AAU doesn’t develop fundamentals.
What if Butler still had Brunk?
What if IU still had Romeo?
What if Devonte was fundamentally sound?
IU isn’t the only team struggling to be consistent, inconsistency is a college basketball epidemic.

Fair point.

No kidding. Either everything’s peachy — we’re 10-1!! — or else you’re a “hater.”

Even the head coach and players seem to realize that we’re not a very good team...and they’ll say so publicly. Yet there are people here who can’t abide that unfortunate truth.

It doesn’t mean the season’s over. But we’ve got a lot of improving to do, and not much time to do it.

Oh, and yes there is a trend. Only the most blinkered fan doesn’t see it — not because they can’t, but because they won’t.
It was actually good to see after the game. Justin Smith was very pissed off about the defense. Hopefully this team really takes some strides to improve or we could see a repeat of the last 2 seasons.

It was actually good to see after the game. Justin Smith was very pissed off about the defense. Hopefully this team really takes some strides to improve or we could see a repeat of the last 2 seasons.

I dont know why he would feel the need to be pissed off.
Hes been the 2nd worst in defense consistency behind Deron Davis

I think I've had to lower the bar on my expectations. Bob's may be coming back, but certainly not in a coaching capacity. I hope Archie has the personality and salesmanship to continue impressing top recruits to trust in his judgement that they will be a good fit at IU. I still enjoy watching IU basketball, but the quality doesn't seem to be quite as good. Maybe it's the intensity of play that came with have a "madman" on the sidelines, unlike what we see today. Whatever it was, it not there as much. It might just be a sign of life in general...maybe an age thing. I called my brother this evening for his 71st birthday. He lives in northern CA but still follows the Hoosiers. We talked about a few things and he agreed about this team being tough to watch sometimes. they can't shoot. He thinks we might finish in the lower third of the BT. I said I thought more in the middle. We talked about Devonte Green...whew, in more ways than one. IU missed too many bunnies in the game. Remember Race Thompson's "gimme" that he blasted off the backboard about three times too hard? Good thing that Nebraska kid missed that easy one of his at the other end. That miss was embarrassing. I think in both cases they got a case of the heebie-jeebies right at the wrong moment. That one kid is going to be haunted by that point blank range miss of his. That said, I probably would have done the same thing. It was good to win that game, but more of just relief to have survived it. The future does not bode well, I'm afraid, come the thick of the league season. I'm sticking with 'em, though, no matter what. I hate the paucity of games during finals week. I'm always anxious to get to the next game to see how they do.

Reactions: cryano
10-1. I know you and your goons have been waiting all offseason for the opportunity to jump on Archie. You’ll have your chance in a month. Or not... Let’s see what happens.

Careful. The "IU can do no wrong" crowd on here hates good analysis like that.

who said IU could do no wrong? lol. the point has always been that we don't know what we have in Archie yet. one can't really say he's failed or succeeded yet.

but we get that close games don't meet your high standards and that somehow wait-and-see means IU can do no wrong.

beyond dumb.

He made an adjustment early in the season and extended the defense because we closed so poorly, unpacked a bit on the wings but you're correct that backline was extended too far and it shouldn't be. Ball top: both wings should extend but the backline should still sag towards lane. Ball on side: both defenders on weak side should sag both defenders ball side extend. We were playing player over lane too much. fwiw - unpacking the wings is what is causing that driving gap.

The choice is, give up that drive, or give up that shot. The other choice is our wings need to close out better so they can go back to playing packed, but they tend to be bigger and less mobile than theirs and still get burnt on the dribble.

But it doesn't matter when Durham or Green or Franklin and everyone else gives a dribbler a step and is late,You have to contain the ball or you're putting your help guys in terrible position. It's symbiotic.

Against Uconn who was built more traditionally we swarmed the penetrator, but that takes timing, communication and trust.... and it can't be done half assed it has to be strong or you're getting burnt by kick out threes.

I've seen teams this year pass to the wing with a shooter on the block. The screen then takes place at the top, with a cutter causing the post defender to stay home as the player on the block quietly extends to the corner. Then the wing simply passes to the corner and the guy is wide open.

Teams have really fashioned offenses around forcing inside bigs to either follow players out or pick up a cutter.

LA Tech ran a play where the PG got a high screen, then passed to the wing while IU was busy hedging, and the screener rolled to the basket for an easy 2, as everyone else was spread.

Current offenses are using less dribble drive than they did just a few years ago. Defending pick and roll, high give and go, pick and pop, and pick, roll, flair is basically the entirity of most teams' offensive strategy. The "continuity ball screen" offense uses all of these things, and i think the key defensive startegy to stop it is to have guys about Anderson size who can just switch on those high screens.

As Hunter and Anderson and Smith improve defensively, and as Rob steers a ball handler away from where they want to go, it will take a ton of pressure off of the post defenders to make those decisions of fly out or stay home.
Luckily, a lot of Big Ten teams have big guys who play who won't shoot many 3s like Reuvers and Teske do, ie. Oturu, Tillman, Smith, Kockburn, Garza. IU needs to win games that they match up well in.

who said IU could do no wrong? lol. the point has always been that we don't know what we have in Archie yet. one can't really say he's failed or succeeded yet.

but we get that close games don't meet your high standards and that somehow wait-and-see means IU can do no wrong.

beyond dumb.
Screw your "beyond dumb" BS. I was probably following IU (and graduating from IU) before you was born. Archie's in year THREE. How many years does he get? Nine like Crean? Other coaches don't take three years to get their team to show up every game and play good D.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Screw your "beyond dumb" BS. I was probably following IU (and graduating from IU) before you was born. Archie's in year THREE. How many years does he get? Nine like Crean? Other coaches don't take three years to get their team to show up every game and play good D.
You seem angry.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier

beyond dumb.
when will we know?

beyond dumb.

beyond dumb.[/QUOTE]
LOL "we don't know what we have with archie yet." it's been probably in the neighborhood of 75 games thus far. in basketball. with five guys on a court. how long do we need? only at IU with fans like you. the richest clubs in the world. real madrid. barcelona. could you imagine waiting 75 games to see "what we have" in a coach. this is "beyond dumb" and somehow unique to a scenario where coaches and lame AD's and participation trophy fans like you have built a milieu where "rebuilds" become buzzwords to buy more time for crappy hires. again, did you play a sport? beyond high school? the 12 game losing streak and the inconsistent effort tells us quite a lot about miller. he doesn't motivate kids. he doesn't know how to get them to play hard game after game. we have a ton of games to reflect on in this regard. anyway, we've got around 20 games left. if he can't win half of them are we still waiting to see "what we have with archie yet?" winning 50% from here on out with the talent we have at indiana is a pretty darn low bar to meet.

How about the guards stop getting beat off the dribble and stop the our wings are out of position crap.

beyond dumb.
when will we know?

beyond dumb.

beyond dumb.
LOL "we don't know what we have with archie yet." it's been probably in the neighborhood of 75 games thus far. in basketball. with five guys on a court. how long do we need? only at IU with fans like you. the richest clubs in the world. real madrid. barcelona. could you imagine waiting 75 games to see "what we have" in a coach. this is "beyond dumb" and somehow unique to a scenario where coaches and lame AD's and participation trophy fans like you have built a milieu where "rebuilds" become buzzwords to buy more time for crappy hires. again, did you play a sport? beyond high school? the 12 game losing streak and the inconsistent effort tells us quite a lot about miller. he doesn't motivate kids. he doesn't know how to get them to play hard game after game. we have a ton of games to reflect on in this regard. anyway, we've got around 20 games left. if he can't win half of them are we still waiting to see "what we have with archie yet?" winning 50% from here on out with the talent we have at indiana is a pretty darn low bar to meet.[/QUOTE]

I’m with you. I came into the season on the fence and what I needed to see was a program that was trending up. I don’t see that. I see a program that has flatlined and isn’t getting better. In a month we’ll be about two and a half seasons in and that’s enough to start to get a feel where the program is heading. My sense, after seeing the schedule, is that IU will get one perhaps two wins in January. That’s not trending up.

I’ll reserve final judgment until the first of February, but I’m not hopeful it can be turned around.

when will we know?

beyond dumb.
LOL "we don't know what we have with archie yet." it's been probably in the neighborhood of 75 games thus far. in basketball. with five guys on a court. how long do we need? only at IU with fans like you. the richest clubs in the world. real madrid. barcelona. could you imagine waiting 75 games to see "what we have" in a coach. this is "beyond dumb" and somehow unique to a scenario where coaches and lame AD's and participation trophy fans like you have built a milieu where "rebuilds" become buzzwords to buy more time for crappy hires. again, did you play a sport? beyond high school? the 12 game losing streak and the inconsistent effort tells us quite a lot about miller. he doesn't motivate kids. he doesn't know how to get them to play hard game after game. we have a ton of games to reflect on in this regard. anyway, we've got around 20 games left. if he can't win half of them are we still waiting to see "what we have with archie yet?" winning 50% from here on out with the talent we have at indiana is a pretty darn low bar to meet.[/QUOTE]
I’m wondering if you played sports at all because you shouldn’t need motivated to play hard. If you need motivated to win, then you shouldn’t be playing any sport.

you said it right there. He’s “in” year three and hasnt blown it yet. But cool premature hysterics. Lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT