ADVERTISEMENT

From Indy Star on UM Loss

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
And why I mostly blame the offense for today’s loss (and last year’s debacle too.)

Bazelak completed just 6 of 22 passes after halftime, missing on eight of his last 10.

The much-maligned offensive line wasn't any better in the run game. The Hoosiers finished with a net 19 yards on 25 carries. Taking away the sacks, they rushed for 86 yards, but 39 of those came on one first-half run by Jaylin Lucas.

There were 6 sacks, and basically no offensive output today, and yes, that is somewhat on OC for sure, but how can any OC or QB thrive behind this OL?

“Hiller is an offense Killer.”

Reactions: vesuvius13
And why I mostly blame the offense for today’s loss (and last year’s debacle too.)

Bazelak completed just 6 of 22 passes after halftime, missing on eight of his last 10.

The much-maligned offensive line wasn't any better in the run game. The Hoosiers finished with a net 19 yards on 25 carries. Taking away the sacks, they rushed for 86 yards, but 39 of those came on one first-half run by Jaylin Lucas.

There were 6 sacks, and basically no offensive output today, and yes, that is somewhat on OC for sure, but how can any OC or QB thrive behind this OL?

While hiller sucks our OC is straight garbage

I thought Bell has crafted a decent passing game, but it's too easy to defend because teams have figured you just have to play up on our receivers because we don't have time to let the receivers run different routes. You don't have to defend the run, you don't have to defend downfield, so it's pretty easy to defend us. Bell is an average coordinator with the worst o-line coach in the country. Not good enough to execute with no line. Most coordinators would not be.

I thought Bell has crafted a decent passing game, but it's too easy to defend because teams have figured you just have to play up on our receivers because we don't have time to let the receivers run different routes. You don't have to defend the run, you don't have to defend downfield, so it's pretty easy to defend us. Bell is an average coordinator with the worst o-line coach in the country. Not good enough to execute with no line. Most coordinators would not be.
We can’t run it, and everything goes down hill from there. Heard in the preseason that Coaches Allen and Bell were taking great interest and involvement in the O line, but it doesn’t seem to have made a positive difference. Yet another new scheme led by yet another new coordinator and run by yet another new quarterback hasn’t produced an improved result.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and jb17
If I were coach Allen I would make a couple of changes in offense right now. First, slow down the offense it is hurting the team and not helping the offense while putting the defense in bad spots. Second, make a change in OL coach now since Rod Carey could take over for the rest of the season. Bazelak has taken too many hits, or RBs have been give too few running lanes and it is killing the offense. I am not sold on Bell as OC but I do know without a better coached OL few OC would look good.

I know it is a lot easier sitting here to talk about these changes, but they need to be done and I fear if not the season will be completely lost.

If I were coach Allen I would make a couple of changes in offense right now. First, slow down the offense it is hurting the team and not helping the offense while putting the defense in bad spots. Second, make a change in OL coach now since Rod Carey could take over for the rest of the season. Bazelak has taken too many hits, or RBs have been give too few running lanes and it is killing the offense. I am not sold on Bell as OC but I do know without a better coached OL few OC would look good.

I know it is a lot easier sitting here to talk about these changes, but they need to be done and I fear if not the season will be completely lost.
From outside 👀 in it seems to be the simplest interim patch to perhaps see some improvement with OL, have a new voice and trying to salvage what looks like to be another “Season for n the Brink.”

From outside 👀 in it seems to be the simplest interim patch to perhaps see some improvement with OL, have a new voice and trying to salvage what looks like to be another “Season for n the Brink.”
If he is unwilling to make a change he needs to be asked for his resignation. It's unfair to the team that one position group year after year tanks them and the head coach refuses to make a change. I don't know a lick about coaching football but I said before the year it really boils down to performance of OL and Dline. Neither unit is great, but one is stinking up the joint. The main reason I completely lost confidence in TA's ability to lead this program was when he continues to retain Hiller year after year and even rewards him with 500k per year. DeBoer was dealing with virtually the same crap but coached around it. It's revolting and outrageous how this man still has a job.

If he is unwilling to make a change he needs to be asked for his resignation. It's unfair to the team that one position group year after year tanks them and the head coach refuses to make a change. I don't know a lick about coaching football but I said before the year it really boils down to performance of OL and Dline. Neither unit is great, but one is stinking up the joint. The main reason I completely lost confidence in TA's ability to lead this program was when he continues to retain Hiller year after year and even rewards him with 500k per year. DeBoer was dealing with virtually the same crap but coached around it. It's revolting and outrageous how this man still has a job.
If a change was made today, how long would it take to get the deep OL issues fixed?

If a change was made today, how long would it take to get the deep OL issues fixed?
Don't know. And I don't think it matters. The current performances are pitiful. I'd have put Carey in that spot 30 mins after game was finished. Hard to imagine he can't get the guys to play more inspired. It's impossible for the unit to get worse. Frankly Hiller has stolen millions from the athletic department.

That's not the point. Sticking with Hiller tells everyone that CTA isn't willing to make the hard choices, isn't willing to put the program ahead of whatever it is that Allen thinks Hiller brings, and is willing to let the season go to shit without even trying to shake things up. I normally wouldn't be taking this view, but there's a point where you have to do something, anything. We've come to that point.

That's not the point. Sticking with Hiller tells everyone that CTA isn't willing to make the hard choices, isn't willing to put the program ahead of whatever it is that Allen thinks Hiller brings, and is willing to let the season go to shit without even trying to shake things up. I normally wouldn't be taking this view, but there's a point where you have to do something, anything. We've come to that point.
He isn't willing to make the hard choices. He is so concerned about developing young men, but throws the potential careers of every single OL recruit under the bus by continuing to have Hiller "coach" them. If Hiller cared as much for allen as Allen apparently cares for Hiller, he would resign. His ineffectiveness is destroying Allen's career.

Interesting what Nebraska has done since Scott Frost got whacked and what wisconsin did this week after Paul Chryst got whacked. Why not a mere OL coach?

I agree that probably the one thing removing Hiller could do is lift the team’s spirits some (and the fans for sure.). My guess is it is like having the owner’s incompetent son running a great business that the dad used to run well. The employees love the company, but can’t believe this idiot son is now running it and the dad isn’t saying anything as some good people leave.

That is what leaving Hiller in is doing, it is literally demoralizing. And if Allen doesn’t see that but yet keeps just saying “It’s not good enough, we’re going to take a look and we need to fix it bc a lot of football left.” He is telling his team and his fans that he is choosing Hiller over them, which is mind blowing.

He isn't willing to make the hard choices. He is so concerned about developing young men, but throws the potential careers of every single OL recruit under the bus by continuing to have Hiller "coach" them. If Hiller cared as much for allen as Allen apparently cares for Hiller, he would resign. His ineffectiveness is destroying Allen's career.

Interesting what Nebraska has done since Scott Frost got whacked and what wisconsin did this week after Paul Chryst got whacked. Why not a mere OL coach?
The biggest distinction between what has happened at UNL and UW versus our situation is the quality and depth of the personnel. We need a big upgrade up front on both sides.

The biggest distinction between what has happened at UNL and UW versus our situation is the quality and depth of the personnel. We need a big upgrade up front on both sides.
So would YOU say that’s on Allen given he’s been the coach the last six years?

Well if your a athletic Q.B. you'd scramble ..
Make positive play's out of nothing..On top of that he can't even throw the ball..
He's not even a good MVC Q.B.
Super disappointed in his play...

I agree that probably the one thing removing Hiller could do is lift the team’s spirits some (and the fans for sure.). My guess is it is like having the owner’s incompetent son running a great business that the dad used to run well. The employees love the company, but can’t believe this idiot son is now running it and the dad isn’t saying anything as some good people leave.

That is what leaving Hiller in is doing, it is literally demoralizing. And if Allen doesn’t see that but yet keeps just saying “It’s not good enough, we’re going to take a look and we need to fix it bc a lot of football left.” He is telling his team and his fans that he is choosing Hiller over them, which is mind blowing.
You mean "darren Boy" is the sequel to "Tommy Boy"

Of course. He’s the head coach. Why haven’t you thought that?
You weren’t very vocal or critical, you sounded more like Mrs. Hiller.

Whatever, the needed change was made, real fans knew it was overdue, and if you are upset, sorry for you.

Allen did what needed to be done and IUFB moves forward!

You weren’t very vocal or critical, you sounded more like Mrs. Hiller.

Whatever, the needed change was made, real fans knew it was overdue, and if you are upset, sorry for you.

Allen did what needed to be done and IUFB moves forward!
Ah, the real fan card. I’m not the least bit upset, but I also didn’t engage in mindless speculation. Hope you’ll be okay.

Take it up with him then, and stop ruining threads for those of us who want to talk IU football. Thanks, and let me know if I can help you learn more.
Calm the **** down, your act is safe here for the time being. EZ ain't gonna blow you up like all the other mods have.

Calm the **** down, your act is safe here for the time being. EZ ain't gonna blow you up like all the other mods have.
I just want you to agree to stop ruining threads. You can chase me around all you’d like, but you never talk IU football, ever, and it destroys threads. You’ve made your point of being upset by my presence, so why not just cut your losses now and go somewhere else. The rest of us want to talk IU football. Thanks.

I just want you to agree to stop ruining threads. You can chase me around all you’d like, but you never talk IU football, ever, and it destroys threads. You’ve made your point of being upset by my presence, so why not just cut your losses now and go somewhere else. The rest of us want to talk IU football. Thanks.
Receipts say otherwise.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT