ADVERTISEMENT

Fred go get Marshall now

I don't think it will be Marshall. There are several people above him on the list and with the money being thrown around I doubt it gets down to him.

I want a coach that brings in OAD..They are the NBA players you have to have for a quick fix...Bring in 1-2 each year with a mix of 3-4 year guys..
Yeah a mix, but you should recruit the best team and fit possible. And recruiting at WSU is a tad different than IU, no? He's a good coach. He would have more resources here.

Marshall is putting forth almost the same product as Calipari at a mid-major: UK's Tourney games against Marshall should NOT be as close as they have been.

Calipari is the better recruiter by default. Gregg is trying to recruit to a mid-major and has never recruited at a top flight school.

Like Calipari had to recruit at UMass and Memphis?

For a fanbase that insists that we aren't rivals and that IU is obsessed with UK, you guys sure are over here a lot.

Oh we are definitely rivals. I just hope the next IU coach mans up to play is with out silly cop outs.

I don't think it will be Marshall. There are several people above him on the list and with the money being thrown around I doubt it gets down to him.

Why do we have to throw around that much money? As elite as we are, we shouldn't have to? Oh wait, Glass was so desperate in his presser the other day we now have no choice. We also have to pay through the roof due to the expectations not meeting reality quotient.

Why do we have to throw around that much money? As elite as we are, we shouldn't have to? Oh wait, Glass was so desperate in his presser the other day we now have no choice. We also have to pay through the roof due to the expectations not meeting reality quotient.
We should have stuck with Crean and not tried to do any better: that way, not being elite would be a self-fulfilling prophecy, right? It would have been pretty sweet sucking next year with Crean, right?

I don't know what your point is. Marshall still has not had the ability to recruit to a top flight school. I am guessing Marshall would recruit just fine at a big school, though.

I hope your guess is right if Marshall ends up landing here. As is, Calipari has been more successful than Marshall on the mid-major level, and beaten Marshall every time they've squared off on since he's been at Kentucky.

If you want to believe Marshall is the better coach fine, but you're only real argument is "he does more with less". Calipari is undoubtedly more successful, and if Marshall wants to be so as well, maybe he should get off his ass and prove it, by going somewhere he feels makes him more nationally competitive.

What are your thoughts on this story, has real legs or is this a leak by the anti-Alford portion trying to throw a wrench in the process?
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...fered-7-year-31-million-contract-from-indiana

UCLA won't bat twice and will make little effort to retain him, that will show you how bad this hire is. Hell, they might pull a Bo here and tell him to get out immediately and let a UCLA coach the team.

How depressing if it is Alford. Totally depressing, and to pay that kind of money. What a waste of IU treasure, too. Brutal if true.

Seriously, I know my opinion is worthless but I've never understood why so many of you guys are anti-Alford. Should have hired him years ago.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...lford-noise-deafening-and-kind-dumb/99361610/
UCLA won't bat twice and will make little effort to retain him, that will show you how bad this hire is. Hell, they might pull a Bo here and tell him to get out immediately and let a UCLA coach the team.

How depressing if it is Alford. Totally depressing, and to pay that kind of money. What a waste of IU treasure, too. Brutal if true.
Doyle's article talking about the Adidas money, could see this as a business dealing or payback to UCLA dropping their brand, but as you say UCLA may not mind.

Last edited:
Gregg Marshall is strange and eccentric. This at least needs to be discussed

And his wife lost her chit tonight at the UK game based on numerous reports. She'd need a lot thicker skin if she came here based on the way people treated Crean.

Seriously, I know my opinion is worthless but I've never understood why so many of you guys are anti-Alford. Should have hired him years ago.

Because he sucks. Because he is a jerk. Because he interfered with a rape investigation. Because he had his chance in the Big Ten and did not do well.

I hope Calipari grows the balls to play home and home instead of being a little bitch
It was Bobby Knight who insisted on moving from home and home to 50/50 neutral sites.

Afraid of IU?

We are going to our 6th S16 in the last 8 yrs. We made it to the E8 in each of the previous 5 trips, and to the F4 in 4/5.

There's a reason you rushed the floor when you beat us.

I came over here to get an update on your coaching search and read the same ignorance and arrogance that has caused you to slip from the ranks of being a top program. Embarrassing.

Reactions: CaribCat

IU paid $3+ million per yer to someone who: could not coach D, was fine with 15+turnovers per game, continually made momentum chilling substitutions, had no idea what a half court offense was, seldom made half time adjustments, and drew up maybe 3 successful in-bounds plays in 9 years.

IU is throwing that much around to get a real coach.

Reactions: outside shooter
If you young guys remember your hero the jack ass general said he would never go back to rupp and you guys were ok with it. So they started playing neutral court games. It was great half And half fans in each state year after year

Marshall is putting forth almost the same product as Calipari at a mid-major: UK's Tourney games against Marshall should NOT be as close as they have been.

Calipari is the better recruiter by default. Gregg is trying to recruit to a mid-major and has never recruited at a top flight school.

"Marshall is putting forth almost the same product as Calipari at a mid-major."

Hmmm...that is a strange definition of "almost." You might want to walk that statement back.

I think Marshall is an excellent coach, and would be very successful at IU.

Since Marshall has been at Wichita State he has been to one Final Four, while Calipari has been four Final Fours, two title games, one NCAA title.

Last edited:
Reactions: CaribCat
"Marshall is putting forth almost the same product as Calipari at a mid-major."

Hmmm...that is a strange definition of "almost." You might want to walk that statement back.

I think Marshall is an excellent coach, and would be very successful at IU.

Since Marshall has been at Wichita State he has been to one Final Four, while Calipari has been four Final Fours, two title games, once NCAA titles.
So, you are saying Marshall's output at WS should be equal to that of Calipari at UK? Calipari didn't do that when he was coach of UMass: you are saying he should have?

If Marshall becomes coach of IU, we will see if Calipari is breaking down our doors to play us. Considering his stance towards Crean teams at IU, I wouldn't hold my breath.

UK fans recommending we hire Alford is the exact reason we shouldn't hire Alford.

I recommend you guys fire Calipari and hire Crean. You should have hired him years ago.

UK fans recommending we hire Alford is the exact reason we shouldn't hire Alford.

I recommend you guys fire Calipari and hire Crean. You should have hired him years ago.

Or go the mid major route. I mean if you're hiring a guy why would you hire a guy with no experience at an elite school? You guys always make bad hires. Whoever your fan base wants...you should want the other guy.

Or go the mid major route. I mean if you're hiring a guy why would you hire a guy with no experience at an elite school? You guys always make bad hires. Whoever your fan base wants...you should want the other guy.

I don't recall the fan base wanting Davis, Sampson, or Crean. Try again.

Were Eddie Sutton, Tubby, and Billy G good hires?

What? He said he guarantees Kentucky will never want to play Indiana ever again if we get Gregg Marshall. Lame. Dumb, and lame. What does he think is going to happen, Kentucky, Purdue, Wisconsin, Louisville, everyone else is going to forfeit future games against us?

Good lawd you are annoying. The point he was making was that Gregg Marshall at IU with IU resources would be a team Cal would prefer not to play. Not sure why you have such a hard time with things like this.

Yet you think Alford is?!?! Marshall deserves 3 times the amount of Alford. So why is Alford in the conversation but Marshall isn't, due to the amount of money involved?

lol

I don't know one person I trust who believes it's true. The interest is real, but I don't think an offer has been made yet. But I don't know 100% one way or the other.
I can only imagine how many moving parts are actually involved. Millions of dollars in play, multiple organizations, power plays and politics, and then the ultimate of individuals are unpredictable creatures at times.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT