ADVERTISEMENT

Four myths about how immigrants affect the U.S. economy

sglowrider

Hall of Famer
Apr 9, 2012
Tiny Red Dot
Trump, a vocal critic of illegal immigration long before he reached the White House, claimed it costs the U.S. billions of dollars each year.

“Illegal immigration hurts Americans workers, burdens American taxpayers and undermines public safety, and places enormous strains on local schools, hospitals and communities in general, taking precious resources away from the poorest Americans who need them most,” Trump said.

RTR3NH6F-1024x700.jpg

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/econom...s-about-how-immigrants-affect-the-u-s-economy

Myth #1: Immigrants take more from the U.S. government than they contribute
Fact: Immigrants contribute more in tax revenue than they take in government benefits

Myth #2: Immigrants take American jobs
Fact: Immigrants workers often take jobs that boost other parts of the economy

Myth #3: The U.S. economy does not need immigrants
Fact: Immigrants are key to offsetting a falling birth rate

Myth #4: It would be better for the economy if immigrants’ children were not citizens
Fact: Children with citizenship are more productive workers

As an avid viewer of C-SPAN I hear callers every morning who claim to have personally witnessed all the myths described in this thread.

I have long concluded many of these folks, if not most, are mis-identifying immigrants and illegals who are actually self sufficient tax paying citizens.

Reactions: sglowrider
Trump, a vocal critic of illegal immigration long before he reached the White House, claimed it costs the U.S. billions of dollars each year.

“Illegal immigration hurts Americans workers, burdens American taxpayers and undermines public safety, and places enormous strains on local schools, hospitals and communities in general, taking precious resources away from the poorest Americans who need them most,” Trump said.

RTR3NH6F-1024x700.jpg

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/econom...s-about-how-immigrants-affect-the-u-s-economy

Fact: Immigrants contribute more in tax revenue than they take in government benefits

Myth #4: It would be better for the economy if immigrants’ children were not citizens

I'm a pro-immigration guy, legal or illegal, for the most part (obviously would prefer legal, but strawberry pickers are needed regardless). However, the article does a poor job attacking Trump's qualifying language of "illegal" immigration. Many of the facts seemed like they either were all-inclusive or focused on legal immigration, but maybe I misread?

Anyone with a brain knows how awful the H1B clamp down was, particularly when it was already too low and structurally deformed prior to Trump.

I'm a pro-immigration guy, legal or illegal, for the most part (obviously would prefer legal, but strawberry pickers are needed regardless). However, the article does a poor job attacking Trump's qualifying language of "illegal" immigration. Many of the facts seemed like they either were all-inclusive or focused on legal immigration, but maybe I misread?

Anyone with a brain knows how awful the H1B clamp down was, particularly when it was already too low and structurally deformed prior to Trump.

We all come from immigrant families at some point in our family history. We should never forget their plight as a result and empathise with their reasoning.

RTR3NH6F-1024x700.jpg

My grandparents on my mother's side are immigrants and great-grandparent's on my father's side were immigrants. I think immigrants are awesome. :) They were legal immigrants and we need more of them. I think we all should be able to agree with increasing legal immigration while minimizing illegal immigration.

My grandparents on my mother's side are immigrants and great-grandparent's on my father's side were immigrants. I think immigrants are awesome. :) They were legal immigrants and we need more of them. I think we all should be able to agree with increasing legal immigration while minimizing illegal immigration.
If they are like my ancestors, their immigration became legal pretty much automatically only because of their skin tone and where where they came from.

My great-great grandmother came from Germany. No problem. In 1870 we wanted Germans.
My great-great grandfather came from Germany. No problem. In 1872 we wanted Germans.
Another great-great grandfather came from Ireland. No problem. In 1860-something we wanted the Irish.
Another great-great-great grandfather came from England. No problem. In 1820-something we wanted the English.

Chest thumping over ancestors being legal is kind of silly. We welcomed most everybody who could work and who was healthy, but especially white folks from Europe had no issues, just basically showing up and being accepted.

If they are like my ancestors, their immigration became legal pretty much automatically only because of their skin tone and where where they came from.

My great-great grandmother came from Germany. No problem. In 1870 we wanted Germans.
My great-great grandfather came from Germany. No problem. In 1872 we wanted Germans.
Another great-great grandfather came from Ireland. No problem. In 1860-something we wanted the Irish.
Another great-great-great grandfather came from England. No problem. In 1820-something we wanted the English.

Chest thumping over ancestors being legal is kind of silly. We welcomed most everybody who could work and who was healthy, but especially white folks from Europe had no issues, just basically showing up and being accepted.
My mother's parents aren't white and the US would be wise to bring in more people like them. Also who is chest thumping?

Also how old do you think I am? My grandparents and great-grandparents didn't come to the US in the 1800's! ;)

RTR3NH6F-1024x700.jpg

immigration absolutely does hurt the working class, and more than just a little bit.

and they do put a huge burden on taxpayers.

on the other hand, denying them entry into the country would put a huge burden on many to most immigrants, who's only crime is being born on the wrong spot on the globe.

a huge problem with today's debates, are the assumptions going in that either side being correct as to what they are saying, is somehow mutually exclusive of the other side also being correct.

open immigration is an economic disaster for the working class, (as is big money's control of both parties), and closed borders are a disaster for those seeking safety or just a better economic situation.

a good solution can never be had until we accept that both sides of this debate are totally correct, rather than both sides fighting to the death that their side is right and the other side wrong.

that said, while mass immigration just kills the working class, it's a financial boom for the non working class, the professionals, the real estate industry, the investor class, and the business owners.

the best solution is to allow immigration within some limits, but at the same time make up for doing so to the working class who otherwise is getting killed by immigration on top of offshoring.

such remedies could include universal healthcare/medicare for all, livable mandatory minimum wages, greatly expanded rent control which would also keep home prices much more in check, tariffs on everything that can be produced or serviced from here, and shifting more of the tax burden, beyond just fed income tax, to the investor class who are making out great, and contrary to Maggie, don't seem to be running out of money what so ever.

.However, the article does a poor job attacking Trump's qualifying language of "illegal" immigration. Many of the facts seemed like they either were all-inclusive or focused on legal immigration, but maybe I misread?

The article had data to support both undocumented and authorised immigrants' contributions which ultimately, were all net positive to the economy. News at 11 for most people except Trump's folks.

I think I am getting too old to get up at 4.30am to watch a game. Taking me longer to recover. Then I just realised that the Louisville and NW games are at crap hours again. :eek:

Not that I think Ivegotwinners will read this article, but food is about to get much more expensive because of the crackdown. I wonder how that is a good thing.

RTR3NH6F-1024x700.jpg

The falling birthrate is a problem. I am not sure if abortion is calculated in that figure or not. It does make sense that if you abort 60 million people over a 45 yr period then there are effects to the country. If you think about it how many of those 60 million would be having kids of their own now? We just might have shot ourselves in the foot because of our abortion policy.

The falling birthrate is a problem. I am not sure if abortion is calculated in that figure or not. It does make sense that if you abort 60 million people over a 45 yr period then there are effects to the country. If you think about it how many of those 60 million would be having kids of their own now? We just might have shot ourselves in the foot because of our abortion policy.

tenor.gif

In the post-WW One era there was a lot of anti-German sentiment. Did your family suffer any of that?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT