ADVERTISEMENT

Former Arizona big man schedules visit

Would create similar issues to what we've had in his first 3 seasons...2 really, really good bigs...with neither versatile enough to guard and rebound effectively away from the basket. And then as you referenced, the continued gravity to clog the lane with 2 guys that are post centric offensively.

Surround them with 3 elite guards, that can shoot, score, and defend like heck on both ends of the floor...sure, that probably works well. But start adding guys like Mack, Tucker, Gallo to play alongside them, and the weaknesses start to get exposed and amplified big time.

I'd rather have Williams or Payne, if they'd play a "6th man" role with Mack and Malik starting, and work, like crazy, to get elite and versatile perimeter players.

Would create similar issues to what we've had in his first 3 seasons...2 really, really good bigs...with neither versatile enough to guard and rebound effectively away from the basket. And then as you referenced, the continued gravity to clog the lane with 2 guys that are post centric offensively.

Surround them with 3 elite guards, that can shoot, score, and defend like heck on both ends of the floor...sure, that probably works well. But start adding guys like Mack, Tucker, Gallo to play alongside them, and the weaknesses start to get exposed and amplified big time.

I'd rather have Williams or Payne, if they'd play a "6th man" role with Mack and Malik starting, and work, like crazy, to get elite and versatile perimeter players.
You would rather have Williams or Payne than a top five center in college? This board is wearing me out.

You would rather have Williams or Payne than a top five center in college? This board is wearing me out.
It’s about skill set…MR and Ballou playing double post basketball won’t be as effective and a lineup with a shooter at the 4 and then a big like Ballou

Reactions: jiouhyu

Assembly Call brought up a good point. Ballo played two years along side Tubelis (who had shooting numbers similar to Reneau) who played a traditional PF role and AZ finished still finished top 10 in KenPom offensively both years. Only had 1 guard in either of those years shoot over 40% from 3.

Assembly Call brought up a good point. Ballo played two years along side Tubelis (who had shooting numbers similar to Reneau) who played a traditional PF role and AZ finished still finished top 10 in KenPom offensively both years. Only had 1 guard in either of those years shoot over 40% from 3.
What were the rebounding numbers and amount of 3’s made?

That's besides the point. A 2 big system works if you have dynamic guards. IU is still targeting very good guards in the portal. Get Rice and Conwell/Carlyle and Hickman off the bench and it could absolutely work.
Defense could be an issue also MR cannot guard on the perimeter. Also two of the guards combined for 166 made threes alone that year

Last edited:
No, but Ware was our best player. IF we can get someone that is almost as good, Id be thrilled. Ballo is a better rebounder IMO, I don't know if stats back that up put I bet per 40 minutes were higher.
I would love having Ballou if MR had a skill set like say Watford

Play half the game with Mgbako at the four. You don’t pass up this good of a player because he doesn’t fit Reneau.
For one year rental? I think you do.
Then you play a MR at the 5 and MM at the 4 and being in a freshman big man to give you 10-15 off the bench.

I would love having Ballou if MR had a skill set like say Watford

Well, look at it this way. If we get Ballo, and IU plays like they have, then you'll get your wish for a new coach. You should hoping IU gets Ballo. And more 30% shooters.

Reactions: Thcgh
Play half the game with Mgbako at the four. You don’t pass up this good of a player because he doesn’t fit Reneau.
I guess its a case of not unnecessarily forcing weaknesses to create different strengths. The real problem, whether we get Ballo or not, I guess, is who are we consistently playing in the 1-3 positions.

Ballo, Reneau, Mack, and Tucker is an insanely good front court...what if Payne also verbals though?

Just getting ancy on the whole perimeter player situation. The more high level guys we get that really aren't "guards"...gets us closer to seeing a lot more of the same basketball we've seen years 1-3... and that isn't good, regardless of how talented the frontcourt guys are.

You care so much about designing around Reneau that you would pass on potentially the best center in college next year. I’m running out of words.
Woody hasn’t shown that he will be flexible with his line ups. MR will be starting so he’s you have to plan with him in the lineup. Much like he will probably start Trey. So now you have 3 guys starting that can’t shoot

Woody hasn’t shown that he will be flexible with his line ups. MR will be starting so he’s you have to plan with him in the lineup. Much like he will probably start Trey. So now you have 3 guys starting that can’t shoot
Ballo and Reneau with a better version of Mgbako, a better PG than Xavier Johnson (Rice), and either Galloway or god forbid they upgrade (Carlyle/Conwell) would be an extremely dangerous lineup. UConn just won the national title with one guy shooting above 40% from 3.

Ballo and Reneau with a better version of Mgbako, a better PG than Xavier Johnson (Rice), and either Galloway or god forbid they upgrade (Carlyle/Conwell) would be an extremely dangerous lineup. UConn just won the national title with one guy shooting above 40% from 3.
What’s the volume? They also play outstanding defense. I’m not saying it can’t be done but looking at our personnel…it could look like this year.
Ware vs Ballou is a wash with ware being the better off the ball defender

I guess its a case of not unnecessarily forcing weaknesses to create different strengths. The real problem, whether we get Ballo or not, I guess, is who are we consistently playing in the 1-3 positions.

Ballo, Reneau, Mack, and Tucker is an insanely good front court...what if Payne also verbals though?

Just getting ancy on the whole perimeter player situation. The more high level guys we get that really aren't "guards"...gets us closer to seeing a lot more of the same basketball we've seen years 1-3... and that isn't good, regardless of how talented the frontcourt guys are.
1: Rice (maybe)
2: Galloway
3: Mgbako
4: Reneau
5: Ballo

Tucker for Galloway
Cupps for Rice
Conwell (maybe) for Mgbako

Does this scenario make sense to you?

What’s the volume? They also play outstanding defense. I’m not saying it can’t be done but looking at our personnel…it could look like this year.
As good as he was, Ware struggled immensely against better big men and in bigger games:

2/10 vs UConn/Clingan
2/8 vs Auburn/Broome
3/12 vs Kansas/Dickinson
Pedestrian to downright bad in both games against Purdue/Edey

He was essentially bullied against good opposition. I don't see that happening with Ballo on either end. And I say that as a huge Ware fan who enjoyed his progression throughout the entire year.

Reneau and Trey aren’t shooters per se, but they can knock down open threes at an effective rate. We didn’t get any last year because we didn’t have a point guard to create any.

1: Rice (maybe)
2: Galloway
3: Mgbako
4: Reneau
5: Ballo

Tucker for Galloway
Cupps for Rice
Conwell (maybe) for Mgbako

Does this scenario make sense to you?
Conwell or Carlyle would start if either came here and I think Galloway would gladly relinquish starting the game if that were to be the case. I still think you'll see plenty of rotations where Mgbako slides to the 4 and you have a more true 3 guard/wing lineup.

Reactions: HowaboutaFresca
You are saying it can’t be done. You recommend passing on Ballo for Payne.

It’s about skill set…MR and Ballou playing double post basketball won’t be as effective and a lineup with a shooter at the 4 and then a big like Ballou
First,MR's outside game is improving more than TJD's ever did. His D can still use better footwork. But not wanting Ballou is baffling to me,BSmitty.

Reactions: papawboog
Conwell or Carlyle would start if either came here and I think Galloway would gladly relinquish starting the game if that were to be the case. I still think you'll see plenty of rotations where Mgbako slides to the 4 and you have a more true 3 guard/wing lineup.
Lots of scenarios, and none that exclude bringing in Ballo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT