ADVERTISEMENT

For those of you who hate Allen for being pro religion...

Anyone who has been through Basic Training in the military recognizes Knight's motivation philosophy. I think he learned all that at West Point
Knight's problem was he couldn't control his temper which led to the bad tactics. He started out great but as he aged, he became more embittered as society changed. It was a shame it happened, but part of the deal was the changing guard in IU President.

IU needs to look at the cleats and the field to find what has caused so many knee injuries without contact. With an experienced S&C coach I didn't think it was from the strength program but the field or cleats they wear.
The turf that gets the worst press is Slit Film style vs a monofilament. There is also a hybrid. Apparently the Colts play on slit film at LOS.

Natural turf is great but very difficult and costly to maintain in a Midwest climate. Purdue has an academic turf Program and their field is a not good.

The turf that gets the worst press is Slit Film style vs a monofilament. There is also a hybrid. Apparently the Colts play on slit film at LOS.

Natural turf is great but very difficult and costly to maintain in a Midwest climate. Purdue has an academic turf Program and their field is a not good.
Interesting. What does IU have?

Reactions: red hornet
Interesting. What does IU have?
We have Field Turf. The players and coaches like it. It’s pretty widely used in high schools, college and pros. Not sure how many of our lower body injuries occurred at home versus on the road, but I’m not sure there’s anything to suggest that this is a turf issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: red hornet
What happened is this:

Rules were established and agreed upon.

These rules were later changed in-season that benefited one team at the expense of another
Well, they also at one point cancelled the season and then revisited that. So by your logic, it doesn't matter what happened with OSU/IU, because the season shouldn't have happened anyway, based on the previous decision that was made LOL

Well, they also at one point cancelled the season and then revisited that. So by your logic, it doesn't matter what happened with OSU/IU, because the season shouldn't have happened anyway, based on the previous decision that was made LOL
Dumb.

The initial no play decision affected everyone and affected them equally. Changing established rules late in a season affected two teams. One positively and at the expense of the other.

No comparison.

Dumb.

The initial no play decision affected everyone and affected them equally. Changing established rules late in a season affected two teams. One positively and at the expense of the other.

No comparison.
Obviously my comment was a bit TIC, but nonetheless, IU fans crying about that 3 years later, after OSU beat us on the field, is about as desperate sounding as anything a Purdue fan does to make excuses about losing to FDU. It's just sad.

Obviously my comment was a bit TIC, but nonetheless, IU fans crying about that 3 years later, after OSU beat us on the field, is about as desperate sounding as anything a Purdue fan does to make excuses about losing to FDU. It's just sad.
Fans only do it when someone brings up negative things about the 2020. So they have a good reason to bring it up.

Fans only do it when someone brings up negative things about the 2020. So they have a good reason to bring it up.
Still haven’t seen anything to suggest that fans care about his religious faith and, if any concerns are expressed, they are the rarest of exceptions. The overwhelming majority of those of us who are IU fans is we just want him to build a sustainably successful program. We really don’t care where he goes to church, or if he even goes at all. It just doesn’t matter.

Go Hoosiers.

Last edited:
What the F**K does any of this "turf talk" have to do with the topic of this thread.... someone please explain. Talk about highjacked!

Reactions: DANC and Jackskip23
IU needs to look at the cleats and the field to find what has caused so many knee injuries without contact. With an experienced S&C coach I didn't think it was from the strength program but the field or cleats they wear.
Your point about field conditions, as well as any equipment provided to a player, is becoming far more relevant, especially in an era of increased player and school leverage.

As I’ve already stated, it won’t be long until schools start to push back on whether equal distribution of conference revenues is appropriate. Further, players are going to want a cut of those revenues, as well (In addition to NIL). All of that is a predicate for potentially increased liability on the part of schools should players sue for damages as a result of injuries that they suffer.

If a player with a NFL future and a current NIL deal(s) gets hurt and risks current and future earning opportunities, you can bet they’re going to start looking for someone to pay up for that. The Rams had to pay Reggie Bush $12.5 million due to an injury he suffered in the Edward Jones Dome. Don’t be shocked when college players start suing their school (or another one, in the instance of away games) should injuries occur due to filed conditions, athletic equipment provided, or medical and therapeutic treatment.

Things are rapidly evolving here.

Reactions: vesuvius13
No one I know is too concerned three years later, it came up here and there are two clear schools of thought on the rule change, usually depending on your perspective as an IU, fan, Ahia fan or pu fan.

What the F**K does any of this "turf talk" have to do with the topic of this thread.... someone please explain. Talk about highjacked!
Sort of like the 2020 rule change, just sort of evolved here. I would not call it hijacked

I would though, like to know which specific turf type we have if RBB or DThompson knows

Last edited:
Sort of like the 2020 rule change, just sort of evolved here. I would not call it hijacked

I would though, like to know which specific turf type we have if RBB or DThompson knows
I do not...but can try to find out. Not sure I have heard the subject come up as part of a recruiting visit anywhere.

We walked the entire field during our visit, and nothing concerned us. I grew up on astro turf though...

I do not...but can try to find out. Not sure I have heard the subject come up as part of a recruiting visit anywhere.

We walked the entire field during our visit, and nothing concerned us. I grew up on astro turf though...
We have Field Turf. Don't recall how long the shelf life is for it but would think we’re a year or two out from the next replacement, if my recollection is accurate from a facility walk through early last Fall.

From your perspective, have you heard any complaints or issues raised by players r coaches concerning the turf in Memorial Stadium? I have not but wanted your perspective. I have heard some less than flattering reviews of some of the the natural turf fields, and the Mellancamp turf isn’t beloved by everyone, either. Just haven’t heard anything about the field at MS, nor have I heard complaints about shoes, though that’s likely because the players have so many choices as to what they can wear.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Thanks.

No big deal but interested to know as are others Haven’t heard a lot of concerns but always interested.

Reliable information is rare here.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
I don’t have an issue with religion being openly talked about by Allen one bit. As long as it’s not shoved down everyone’s throats it can be a real positive. Didn’t Clemson have an issue where Dabo was baptizing players, or he brought someone along to do it, and some of the players felt pressured to do it? I would have a real issue with that, if that really happened. Whatever brings the players closer together and makes them fight as hard as they can for each other is always good.

So? Baylor, as most are aware, is a private Baptist university. The invocation of overtly religious ideals is perfectly appropriate in that setting. Who is arguing against Coach Allen’s expression of his religious beliefs?
When I think of Baylor, I don't think of Jesus. I think of one of the basketball players murdering a teammate and then during the investigation the coach trying to pin allegations on the murdered player.

Not to mention the drug dealing, drug use and payoffs that were going on inside the program.

When I think of Baylor, I don't think of Jesus. I think of one of the basketball players murdering a teammate and then during the investigation the coach trying to pin allegations on the murdered player.

Not to mention the drug dealing, drug use and payoffs that were going on inside the program.
Yes, former IU Assistant Dave Bliss made a mess out of what was already a horrible tragedy. But none of that changes the fact that the university is an affiliate of the Baptist church.

When I think of Baylor, I think of Hanner being threatened with deportation. That university reeks of hypocrisy.

Reactions: BTBall and DANC
The entire premise of the original post is off base in my opinion. There might be a very small minority of fans that object to CTA's religious slant. I would say the vast majority are either indifferent or supportive. It's the boneheaded decisions they hate. I believe almost all would agree that he is a good man.
Agreed- LEO is fine- I know Coach Allen is a great human being. He’s just proving himself to be a below average head coach- thanks again Fred Glass. I don’t crap on religion and believe everyone’s soul is their own dominion. Religious folk are saved, right? Seems like eternity should be its own reward and you don’t worry about those who don’t share the belief.

Last edited:
It's great to see how Tom Allen's approach to "Love" has had such a profound impact, even making waves in the Big Ten Championship Award Ceremony. It's like a modern-day tent revival without the fanfare, right? It's interesting how other teams quickly adopted the mantra once they saw the positive press and early results. Gotta love that irony when "the" ohio $tate coach mentioned it right after playing you guys closely.
If you're looking for more insights and discussions on the power of love, check out https://firstchurchlove.com/. They delve into thought-provoking perspectives and it's a great church community.

Last edited:
I am a Christian. Bought (by the blood) and sold (in my heart).

CTA gotta win. That's the 'bidness'...nothing but love for a brother. I think the spiritual aspect of his coaching and style...well it's a good thing. These are young men. Most of whom will go on to make a living doing something other than playing football. Christ's teachings are super-solid. To the believer or to the non-believer...rain...on the just and the unjust.

He's got to win.

A Christian coach or a secular coach...has to win. It's a meritocracy. The rain will fall. On the just and th unjust.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT