ADVERTISEMENT

Fishing So. Indiana or Ohio River

Mr. Lundegaard

Freshman
Gold Member
Jan 7, 2011
I will find myself in southeastern Indiana this week and was hoping to do some fishing while I'm down there. Are there other fisherman on this board who know of spots that are ideal on the Ohio River, or SE Indiana in general? I won't have access to a boat so anywhere that has good shore fishing is what I'm looking for.

I've always wanted to fish the Ohio but never got a chance, nor do I know of a great spot since I'm not familiar with the area. Any insight would help.

Here's a picture of an attractive female for your troubles.

tumblr_nl43wiJyeW1tj0ia8o1_500.gif

It seems like years ago when I was still living in Indiana, Brookville Resevoir was supposed to have some good fishing, although I never fished there.

Brookville lake is fantastic.... that being said I have never fished it. Lol. One of my best friends is in a summer league tourney for money. I have heard you can fish off the dam along the shore and do well. You will need a license. Lots of people hit it hard for crappie n bass. Obviously decent time for bass right now outside of the hot weather.

Fyi... always heard stories about Coach knight coming to brookville. 2 hrs from b town. Depending on your location it may be a bit of a drive.

If you're bank fishin', about all you can catch is carp and/or catfish or maybe bluegills, on the river or at Brookville. We used to go carp fishing at Brookville at night. I like to catch catch carp, it's a lotta fun.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
I will find myself in southeastern Indiana this week and was hoping to do some fishing while I'm down there. Are there other fisherman on this board who know of spots that are ideal on the Ohio River, or SE Indiana in general? I won't have access to a boat so anywhere that has good shore fishing is what I'm looking for.

I've always wanted to fish the Ohio but never got a chance, nor do I know of a great spot since I'm not familiar with the area. Any insight would help.

Take note AOTF (it occurs to me, maybe the AOTFU would be more appropriate?): this is how you ask for assistance!

I loved to fish when I was in IN, but bear in mind that was 20+ years ago. I had family in Southern IN and I preferred creek and river fishing, but that would be good for you, because you could wade and cool off. At the time Laughery Creek and the Blue River in southern IN were good. Go and rent a canoe on the Blue, fish, wade, swim if you feel like it and enjoy. If you do it, go during the week if you can so you'll have less canoe traffic. Hard to beat that day. All the better if you can get her to go with you! Good luck and let us know if you go.

Take note AOTF (it occurs to me, maybe the AOTFU would be more appropriate?): this is how you ask for assistance!

I loved to fish when I was in IN, but bear in mind that was 20+ years ago. I had family in Southern IN and I preferred creek and river fishing, but that would be good for you, because you could wade and cool off. At the time Laughery Creek and the Blue River in southern IN were good. Go and rent a canoe on the Blue, fish, wade, swim if you feel like it and enjoy. If you do it, go during the week if you can so you'll have less canoe traffic. Hard to beat that day. All the better if you can get her to go with you! Good luck and let us know if you go.
I forgot about creek fishing. We used to wade Nolands Fork and the Whitewater down near Brookville. There was always action on a night crawler harness or maybe a Beatlespin or Mepps Spinner.

Reactions: kkott

The boat ramp in Vevay has excellent bank fishing and there's a nice lake in Versailles state park you might try

I forgot about creek fishing. We used to wade Nolands Fork and the Whitewater down near Brookville. There was always action on a night crawler harness or maybe a Beatlespin or Mepps Spinner.

I was trying to think of the Whitewater too. That was always a good fishing river system. Good canoeing too, but the stretch I've been on is farther north.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Turns out I'll be staying in madison so I'm thinking of heading up to vevay for some fishing there, unless I find a place closer to Madison that i like.

But I'm definitely going to hit up Whitewater and Brookville soon though. Never been there, I'm always looking for new places to fish.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Turns out I'll be staying in madison so I'm thinking of heading up to vevay for some fishing there, unless I find a place closer to Madison that i like.

But I'm definitely going to hit up Whitewater and Brookville soon though. Never been there, I'm always looking for new places to fish.
Try the restaurant at General Butler state park in Carrollton Ky very good with a full bar

Reactions: Mr. Lundegaard
Hardy Lake is close to Madison and has good fishing. Lots of people catfish up there off of the bank. You could maybe rent a boat up there, they rented them out 3 years ago.

I've caught lots of nice bluegill and shellcrackers at Hardy. It's also known for decent crappie too. It's about 750 acres.

Farm ponds - sneak on.

This is the best answer really without a doubt if you want to catch fish. Make a sob story: revisiting the home state and would just like to spend a day fishing a farm pond like I used to with my dear old Grandpa (which in my case, is quite true!). Any self respecting Hoosier farmer would let you on, especially if you plan to catch and release. Just be sure to get a pic of the farmers daughter for your ol' buddies on the AOTFU!

164522192607378066pXIoR5Tuc.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: td75
Hardy Lake is close to Madison and has good fishing. Lots of people catfish up there off of the bank. You could maybe rent a boat up there, they rented them out 3 years ago.

I've caught lots of nice bluegill and shellcrackers at Hardy. It's also known for decent crappie too. It's about 750 acres.
What are shellcrackers?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT