ADVERTISEMENT

First Quarter Impressions

Big Red Crimson Buffalo

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2001
#2 - Reese Taylor.
That was the right move. He’s quicker than anybody back there. Looks like a natural.

#12 - Ramsey. Makes the out routes easy. The long balls are a struggle.

#34 - Jones. Best potential we’ve got on D.

Now - Penix. Holy smokes....what an arm. His throws are on a laser. How do we keep that arm off the field? He threw it right into tight coverage and some breakups but the balls were right in guys hands.

First team defense is pretty active:

Jones, Miller and a Reese all have speed.

#2 - Reese Taylor.
That was the right move. He’s quicker than anybody back there. Looks like a natural.

Now - Penix. Holy smokes....what an arm. His throws are on a laser. How do we keep that arm off the field? He threw it right into tight coverage and some breakups but the balls were right in guys hands.

I know it’s spring ball but James Miller has the making of a stud. He has a speed factor you don’t usually see on this defense.

#2 - Reese Taylor.

I recall how you were blown away by Blake Powers in a spring game long long ago. :p

Blake had twice the arm that Ramsey has, pretty sure of that.

Those two passes Penix just threw in the 3rd quarter (2nd throw was a bullet TD) is something I cant remember seing at IU in my life (30s). What a top level arm.
He has a great arm. "Touch" is something he hasn't shown yet, though, and respecting his relative youth, he also needs to show that he can read opposing defenses. If he pulls it all together, he will be great.

He has a great arm. "Touch" is something he hasn't shown yet, though, and respecting his relative youth, he also needs to show that he can read opposing defenses. If he pulls it all together, he will be great.

This may be premature but Penix just looks like he gives the WRs better opportunity to make the tight catch. No knock on Peyton but a floater just gives those extra split seconds for the defense to close. I hope Penix plays a lot.

I’m not anti-Ramsey but I just look at the two and think there are some intangibles that Penix brings that gives us an edge.

Ramsey throws a nice out-route. Penix throws the laser balls in tight coverage over the middle, crossing routes that you need to fit in those windows the other guy cannot do.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Reading the defense is key for sure. The pressure from the defense closing in on him in the pocket and Penix having the ability to maximize his athletic ability making the correct read. One would be feeling the pocket so he can find a reciver breaking open, and thr other would be the ability to take it and run.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
This may be premature but Penix just looks like he gives the WRs better opportunity to make the tight catch. No knock on Peyton but a floater just gives those extra split seconds for the defense to close. I hope Penix plays a lot.

I’m not anti-Ramsey but I just look at the two and think there are some intangibles that Penix brings that gives us an edge.

Ramsey throws a nice out-route. Penix throws the laser balls in tight coverage over the middle, crossing routes that you need to fit in those windows the other guy cannot do.
If Penix can play with the same savvy as Ramsey we could have something special. An awful lot of playing QB is between the ears, and experience is a big piece of that. If Penix is physically ready to go I think it would be hard to keep him off the field. The big key for him will be avoiding critical mistakes that can come with inexperience.

The upside here is that if Penix is good enough to replace him, we have a quality backup who spent two years as a starter. That's a pretty rare thing for us.

Ramsey gets better each and every year. It is just that they are small increments forward for the IU offense. But if Ramsey is our 3rd best QB, then this should be the “breakout season” that Coach Allen has promised!

IU needs outstanding play from the O Line and the D Line. The skill guys on O are great. The speed and skill guys on D are great.

If Tutle is as good as Penix, then IU will have a special year!

Reactions: 76-1
Ramsey gets better each and every year. It is just that they are small increments forward for the IU offense. But if Ramsey is our 3rd best QB, then this should be the “breakout season” that Coach Allen has promised!

IU needs outstanding play from the O Line and the D Line. The skill guys on O are great. The speed and skill guys on D are great.

If Tuttle is as good as Penix, then IU will have a special year!

If Tutle is as good as Penix, then IU will have a special year!

Tuttle

What number is Miller?? Did i say i hate not having names on the jersey?!!
Thank you!! Could not have been more evident than tonight trying to tell who’s who. I actually like Fred but hope he can get past his stubbornness and put the damn names on the jerseys!

how could you be any more anti Ramsey?

every post you make is anti Ramsey.

Penix has a great arm.

he'll still have trouble beating out PR, because PR is really good too, will make some throws better than Penix, and is more mobile than Penix who is mobile himself, just not as mobile as PR.

if Penix beats out PR, more power to him. he's obviously very talented.

i'm just not as singularly obsessed with arm speed as you, and see QB as being more than just the livest arm.

should be fun to see how things go between the 3.

Reactions: MrBing

Penix has a great arm.

he'll still have trouble beating out PR, because PR is really good too, will make some throws better than Penix, and is more mobile than Penix who is mobile himself, just not as mobile as PR.

i'm just not as singularly obsessed with arm speed as you, and see QB as being more than just the livest arm.

I am not anti Ramsey but if he is our QB this year i believe we will not do very well recruiting WR's this year. You could visibly see the frustration watching the WR's last year with Peyton as QB.

Even if one of the younger QB's make more rookie mistakes...I feel the energy and belief they have a chance to win will be higher across the board with one of them starting.

Just the difference between a bus driver and a difference maker.

I am a huge fan of Peyton as a representative of Indiana University. Just think the other QB's give us a better chance of a winning season.

Thanks,

TomT

Reactions: brebelle3
I am not anti Ramsey but if he is our QB this year i believe we will not do very well recruiting WR's this year. You could visibly see the frustration watching the WR's last year with Peyton as QB.

Even if one of the younger QB's make more rookie mistakes...I feel the energy and belief they have a chance to win will be higher across the board with one of them starting.

Just the difference between a bus driver and a difference maker.

I am a huge fan of Peyton as a representative of Indiana University. Just think the other QB's give us a better chance of a winning season.

Thanks,

TomT
If you watch Penix and Ramsey there is no doubt that MP gets the ball where it needs to go faster than PR. That definitely makes a difference.

That being said, there is nothing more damaging to a football team than mistakes by its quarterback. Bad reads, forced throws, missing easy completions for lack of touch, etc. - especially those that result in turnovers or quick 3 and outs - are killers.

If Penix (or Tuttle) has more arm talent AND can be trusted to not make mistakes, he will probably win the job - assuming his knee is 100%. If the coaches trust PR more, I understand that thinking completely. If we can protect him in the pocket, run the ball effectively, and put a good defense on the field, I think Ramsey has proven that he can lead his team effectively.

Reactions: MrBing

Penix has a great arm.

If you watch Penix and Ramsey there is no doubt that MP gets the ball where it needs to go faster than PR. That definitely makes a difference.

That being said, there is nothing more damaging to a football team than mistakes by its quarterback. Bad reads, forced throws, missing easy completions for lack of touch, etc. - especially those that result in turnovers or quick 3 and outs - are killers.

If Penix (or Tuttle) has more arm talent AND can be trusted to not make mistakes, he will probably win the job - assuming his knee is 100%. If the coaches trust PR more, I understand that thinking completely. If we can protect him in the pocket, run the ball effectively, and put a good defense on the field, I think Ramsey has proven that he can lead his team effectively.

If saying that I think Penix gives us a better chance to win makes me “anti Ramsey” then, so be it.

If you want to play a guy that may not have the same edge as the other guy to get us over the hump, the difference between a possible last second breakthrough win or another heartbreaking loss, then that is on you.

I agree on those items demoralizing the team. What i am saying is that i was already seeing slumped shoulders and frustration with Peyton as QB. i think frustration is already there. Ask Westbrook and Hale who they would bet their shots at a pro career on...Peyton or one of the other two? Just my uninformed opinion...but i think it would not be Peyton. While that is not through the eyes of a coach...it is telling.

Plus, do we want to break in a new QB now or when this team is mature in another year or two and really ready to break out. A new QB this year sets up nicely for everything coming together the next 2 years.

I think it is a different path going with inexperience...no doubt...but more upside and helps recruiting by telling talent that if you come to IU that it will not be underutilized.

Even a defensive coach like Tom Allen thought we were boring and under utilizing our folks last year.

TomT

I have not had an opportunity to watch the game yet. But based on what I have read it sounds to me like maybe Penix mentally not ready to play if he is continually throwing into tight windows and the passes are being dropped or broken up it sounds as if he is making a bad read or not doing a good job of throwing the receivers open. I don’t see that description of Ramsey. People are quick to say he opts for the check down too often.. maybe it is the right decision? I do agree I hope one of the two young guns are able to unseat the veteran but if not I am going to trust the coaches to put the right guy on the field and if it is Ramsey just remember this will be the second offensive coordinator to make that call.

I have not had an opportunity to watch the game yet. But based on what I have read it sounds to me like maybe Penix mentally not ready to play if he is continually throwing into tight windows and the passes are being dropped or broken up it sounds as if he is making a bad read or not doing a good job of throwing the receivers open. I don’t see that description of Ramsey. People are quick to say he opts for the check down too often.. maybe it is the right decision? I do agree I hope one of the two young guns are able to unseat the veteran but if not I am going to trust the coaches to put the right guy on the field and if it is Ramsey just remember this will be the second offensive coordinator to make that call.

Don't think that's fair to say just yet. Let him get in the mix this summer/fall camp and my sense is, like last year, Ramsey may start. But unlike last year, it may not take game 5 or 6 (PSU) game for him to get in next year. His arm is a unique weapon and believe the desire of Allen/DeBoer to get it downfield may play to his skills favorably. TBD

Don't think that's fair to say just yet. Let him get in the mix this summer/fall camp and my sense is, like last year, Ramsey may start. But unlike last year, it may not take game 5 or 6 (PSU) game for him to get in next year. His arm is a unique weapon and believe the desire of Allen/DeBoer to get it downfield may play to his skills favorably. TBD

Agree.

Keep in mind that Penix was in 7 on 7 drills. This was a pure passing drill, so the goal of it was to have the WRs run their pattern and he work on his timing. There really wasn’t an opportunity for a tuck and run as that wasn’t what the drill was designed to do. He made some great reads and threw balls that were also caught with a DB draped on the WR. He threw the ball only where the WR could get it.

Reactions: MyTeamIsOnTheFloor
Penix played multiple series in some early games last year. It is not like he was just insert Ed into the Penn State game and that was his first action.
There is more to just having arm strength to be a successful an ie Jeff George. I believe when the coaches believe he gives us the best opportunity to win or if Tuttle gives us best opportunity to win they will be inserted in the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT