ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Defensive Scheme & Coaching Staff

Wilsons problem was hiring Doug Mallory.
Toms good thing was hiring Deboar
Toms bad hires were Mike Debord and NS

These hires are crucial in having a total team success.
Being the Head coach requires sound decisions on hiring coaches under you that make you look good.
Especially with Tom not having Offensive background- He must hire proven experts to run the offense. Not vanilla

Yes, but that would never have lasted given what we learned was going on in the locker room, the practice field and the bar rooms.

TA would have left but he had to have known that KW was being managed out at the time, I mean, the rest of us did. It was just a matter of time as IU was in a tough position with little evidence as you mention above. IU needed to go through the appropriate due diligence process to avoid expensive litigation, as all large organizations do...especially those that receive public funding.

Allen was rumored to be leaving back to Ole Miss for their open dc position had went not made him coach when we did.

If it were a secret we wouldn't be lamenting here. He was hired by Ohio State. Earning much better than chump change at a better job than many HCing jobs. I suspect we never would know who has come calling as Wilson is not prone to be very revealing, instead keeping things close to the vest.
The point was both his on and off field issues were well known before he ever arrived in Bloomington. We should’ve known exactly what we were getting and managed accordingly. We didn’t.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Allen was rumored to be leaving back to Ole Miss for their open dc position had went not made him coach when we did.
He wasn’t going to Ole Miss but he was heading somewhere. Still incredible that we extended Wilson, doubled his salary and then pushed him out, all in less than 11 months. One of many blunders by the AD.

He wasn’t going to Ole Miss but he was heading somewhere. Still incredible that we extended Wilson, doubled his salary and then pushed him out, all in less than 11 months. One of many blunders by the AD.

Have no idea if Ole Miss would have been the landing spot, but it was a safe bet that he wasn't going to be at Indiana had Wilson stayed the coach.

Have no idea if Ole Miss would have been the landing spot, but it was a safe bet that he wasn't going to be at Indiana had Wilson stayed the coach.
High Freeze was rumored to be in deep trouble by then, and he didn’t survive. No chance Allen gets a ride out to the Titanic so he can complete the rest of that cruise. He was fortunate to have left for USF when he did (before he came to IU), thus avoiding the taint of scandal.

High Freeze was rumored to be in deep trouble by then, and he didn’t survive. No chance Allen gets a ride out to the Titanic so he can complete the rest of that cruise. He was fortunate to have left for USF when he did (before he came to IU), thus avoiding the taint of scandal.

Okay.

I really don't care to argue this with you. The rumor was out there. It doesn't matter in the end since the Indiana job opened up, so he wasnt going to take another job.

You can try to pick a argument somewhere else.

Okay.

I really don't care to argue this with you. The rumor was out there. It doesn't matter in the end since the Indiana job opened up, so he wasnt going to take another job.

You can try to pick a argument somewhere else.
Not trying to argue anything. Just saying the Ole Miss job wasn’t happening for him. Have another cup of coffee. It’s Saturday morning.

v, I just can't agree with some of what you state. I do believe KW to be a hard drinker, just like many old school coaches. Never saw anywhere proof he abused players. Lots of chatter, gossip and a couple allegations, no proof. Even a law firm investigation was a dry hole. I do believe he was damn tough, as he should be in my judgement. He showed me his offensive chops when he didn't have a good enough QB for B1G competition. But it is irrefutable he developed toughness in Hoosier FB. He was hired as the OC in Columbus and still is OC. Shortly after the new HC was announced he exercised his prerogative to call plays. Not an unusual occurrence, ask Tom Allen. The Bucks offense has only gotten stronger with KW focused on matchups, schemes and game planning. He and Day are a potent duo. When the D bucks up to the same level of results OSU is most dangerous. Just the way I evaluate it.
Interesting that you are defending Wilson. I do not know what went on in practices with the players but I did have one run in with him at an open practice. I was just watching but had my phone out to text with my wife. He somehow decided I was giving play information to the public and started in on me. I was sitting up about 10 rows in the stands. I immediately put my phone away but he just kept on at me. He became a real a$$hole about it. Just wouldn’t let it go. Stared me down after every play and made some smart Alec remarks.

Really turned me off the guy. If he treated his players and coaches like that I can see why he had to go and why a man like CTA would not work for him, which as I understand it is why Glass went immediately to talk to CTA after firing Wilson. The way Wilson treated people is exactly the opposite of the way CTA treats people. Oil and water.

Interesting that you are defending Wilson. I do not know what went on in practices with the players but I did have one run in with him at an open practice. I was just watching but had my phone out to text with my wife. He somehow decided I was giving play information to the public and started in on me. I was sitting up about 10 rows in the stands. I immediately put my phone away but he just kept on at me. He became a real a$$hole about it. Just wouldn’t let it go. Stared me down after every play and made some smart Alec remarks.

Really turned me off the guy. If he treated his players and coaches like that I can see why he had to go and why a man like CTA would not work for him, which as I understand it is why Glass went immediately to talk to CTA after firing Wilson. The way Wilson treated people is exactly the opposite of the way CTA treats people. Oil and water.
Did you know any other coaches at IU (sports other than football or basketball)? There were several stories of discord . . .

I think either Ahia is more tolerent of nonsense, or he knew this was his last opportunity. I don't follow them close enough to know what he is up to.

Glass errred in renewing his contract it appears, which caused him to have to carefully manage him out. Anyone that has owned or materially managed a large organization, particularly one that receives public funding, understands the risks and guideposts when managing people. Fred made his own bed but worked through it as well as anyone could. He is damned good attorney.
Indeed he is which says much about IU Law School.

Knowing what we know about Allen, LEO and his view of the higher purpose of coaching, it is impossible to believe he could have worked for KW for any extended time. Allen just doesn't seem to fit with a verbally abusive, hard drinking, and uncaring about injuries guy like Wilson apparently was. Yeah, you could say KW was just really tough, but Allen's view of toughness translates much differently than KW's. Frankly surprised they lasted a year.

Walt really curious to how you'd describe an encounter of similar circumstances with RMK. I genuinely liked the toughness of both coaches. Allen is also tough just operates different. Bill Lynch was a Casper Milquetoast. IUFB needed a tough pr~£k running things after BL. Always amazed how quickly Allen got the D playing so well. Because Wilson had a bunch of hard nosed talent designated to that side of the ball. Just needed an aggressive hair on fire guy running it. The opposite of DC'S Mallory and Knorr.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13 and IU73
Walt really curious to how you'd describe an encounter of similar circumstances with RMK. I genuinely liked the toughness of both coaches. Allen is also tough just operates different. Bill Lynch was a Casper Milquetoast. IUFB needed a tough pr~£k running things after BL. Always amazed how quickly Allen got the D playing so well. Wilson had a bunch of hard nosed talent designated to that side of the ball. Just needed an aggressive hair on fire guy running it. The opposite of DC'S Mallory and Knorr.
Bill Lynch not tough? Obviously you missed the gum throwing incident.

Reactions: 82IU and UncleMark
Knowing what we know about Allen, LEO and his view of the higher purpose of coaching, it is impossible to believe he could have worked for KW for any extended time. Allen just doesn't seem to fit with a verbally abusive, hard drinking, and uncaring about injuries guy like Wilson apparently was. Yeah, you could say KW was just really tough, but Allen's view of toughness translates much differently than KW's. Frankly surprised they lasted a year.
Experienced coaches are all part of the same community. They know exactly the +'s and -'s of the coaches they're going to play for well ahead of saying yes. The thing I find way more fascinating is a competent DC would move to a team with a fast paced heavy passing offense knowing probable increasing # of D snaps exposure can taint a good results reputation. But it happened. Allen came in with his eyes wide open.

Walt really curious to how you'd describe an encounter of similar circumstances with RMK. I genuinely liked the toughness of both coaches. Allen is also tough just operates different. Bill Lynch was a Casper Milquetoast. IUFB needed a tough pr~£k running things after BL. Always amazed how quickly Allen got the D playing so well. Wilson had a bunch of hard nosed talent designated to that side of the ball. Just needed an aggressive hair on fire guy running it. The opposite of DC'S Mallory and Knorr.

Notice how both Knight and Wilson were both jerks ands fired for roughly the same offenses? No, Knight wasn't a alcoholic, but he was abusive.

Also, who says we needed a hardass coach to be successful? We needed a coach that could get better players in here and not recruit at a MAC level. When Wilson get here, he was doing that, but as time went on, his ability to attract talent was starting to slip. Allen has shown that he's a phenomenal recruiter, thus a big reason why we've been able to keep the momentum.

The point was both his on and off field issues were well known before he ever arrived in Bloomington. We should’ve known exactly what we were getting and managed accordingly. We didn’t.
That's the point. I contend AD Glass knew exactly what he was getting because that's exactly what he wanted for IUFB. The point of contention is he thought he could manage well enough to keep everything under control. But being a lawyer as the AD he certainly knew he had to stay prepared for an end game. I honestly think it's worked out fairly well. Since 2013 IUFB has been making progress in small amounts except for last seasons failure. We'll soon know if '21' was a perfect storm anomaly. Which is what I think.

Notice how both Knight and Wilson were both jerks ands fired for roughly the same offenses? No, Knight wasn't a alcoholic, but he was abusive.

Also, who says we needed a hardass coach to be successful? We needed a coach that could get better players in here and not recruit at a MAC level. When Wilson get here, he was doing that, but as time went on, his ability to attract talent was starting to slip. Allen has shown that he's a phenomenal recruiter, thus a big reason why we've been able to keep the momentum.
We for sure didn't need another Bill Lynch soft approach type.

That's the point. I contend AD Glass knew exactly what he was getting because that's exactly what he wanted for IUFB. The point of contention is he thought he could manage well enough to keep everything under control. But being a lawyer as the AD he certainly knew he had to stay prepared for an end game. I honestly think it's worked out fairly well. Since 2013 IUFB has been making progress in small amounts except for last seasons failure. We'll soon know if '21' was a perfect storm anomaly. Which is what I think.
Glass wanted a guy with a known reputation as a hard drinker and someone players at his previous two schools didn’t care much for? That’s was the KW resume when we hired him.

That's the point. I contend AD Glass knew exactly what he was getting because that's exactly what he wanted for IUFB. The point of contention is he thought he could manage well enough to keep everything under control. But being a lawyer as the AD he certainly knew he had to stay prepared for an end game. I honestly think it's worked out fairly well.

Exactly. Glass thought he could thread the needle with Wilson, but he underestimated the task. Alcohol abuse is a tough thing the deal with.

What Wilson did do is put a stop to IU rolling over on the disrespect they were subjected to, and he brought some interest and excitement to the fan base with his offense. He also made a point to go after players that past coaching regimes had determined were out of our reach. He didn't get many and those he did get didn't pan out well, but he at least let people know we were going to give it our best shot.

Experienced coaches are all part of the same community. They know exactly the +'s and -'s of the coaches they're going to play for well ahead of saying yes. The thing I find way more fascinating is a competent DC would move to a team with a fast paced heavy passing offense knowing probable increasing # of D snaps exposure can taint a good results reputation. But it happened. Allen came in with his eyes wide open.
Well our D is gonna play alot of snaps with the new go fast offense. Go 3 and out under this system and maybe 60 seconds have gone off the clock

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Exactly. Glass thought he could thread the needle with Wilson, but he underestimated the task. Alcohol abuse is a tough thing the deal with.

What Wilson did do is put a stop to IU rolling over on the disrespect they were subjected to, and he brought some interest and excitement to the fan base with his offense. He also made a point to go after players that past coaching regimes had determined were out of our reach. He didn't get many and those he did get didn't pan out well, but he at least let people know we were going to give it our best shot.

That last paragraph is 100% correct.

Wilson got IU on the recruiting map with a lot of schools and coaches. He got us in the ring and made us a contender. We never would have gotten a Fant, Latham or Kenney who were big time recruits that the prior staff would have never went after, but Wilson wouldn't allow us to be a punching bag on the recruiting trail anymore.

For all his faults, that was probably his biggest accomplishment early hear while coach at Indiana.

Wished I'd said that.

You can't pull that crap on me. State your bias anyway you please. But it is impossible to put words in my mouth.
It was a rhetorical question. You said Glass “knew exactly what he was getting”, and I described exactly what he was getting. The issue was about KW’s incoming reputation and whether we hired him in spite of that or that we simply weren’t aware. Either way, we never should’ve been in a position to have it end the way it did.

It was a rhetorical question. You said Glass “knew exactly what he was getting”, and I described exactly what he was getting. The issue was about KW’s incoming reputation and whether we hired him in spite of that or that we simply weren’t aware. Either way, we never should’ve been in a position to have it end the way it did.
Rhetorical(?) and you're off scott free. Your slant, your words, not mine.

Yep only if it works
My opinion is that unless the Oline has done a 180 and isn't getting blown 5 feet off the ball, this offense will be a disaster. I also expect regression on D, given the loss of McFadden. The loss of an All-American level college player is way underrated. Look what happened against Cincy for proof. Lots of hype for the transfers, who may not amount to much. D-line needs to be significantly better to compensate. Otherwise, it will be run, run, run against the IU D.

My opinion is that unless the Oline has done a 180 and isn't getting blown 5 feet off the ball, this offense will be a disaster. I also expect regression on D, given the loss of McFadden. The loss of an All-American level college player is way underrated. Look what happened against Cincy for proof. Lots of hype for the transfers, who may not amount to much. D-line needs to be significantly better to compensate. Otherwise, it will be run, run, run against the IU D.
I was just thinking about the loss of McFadden as well as Anderson on D, they will be missed. I bet A. Casey plays a big role this year.

Walt really curious to how you'd describe an encounter of similar circumstances with RMK. I genuinely liked the toughness of both coaches. Allen is also tough just operates different. Bill Lynch was a Casper Milquetoast. IUFB needed a tough pr~£k running things after BL. Always amazed how quickly Allen got the D playing so well. Because Wilson had a bunch of hard nosed talent designated to that side of the ball. Just needed an aggressive hair on fire guy running it. The opposite of DC'S Mallory and Knorr.
Well, I will say this. I have had limited interchanges with both Knight and Allen. Tom Allen is a class act, always and every time. He makes you think you are the most important person in his world when he speaks to you. Bob on the other hand could be tough as nails, but I never saw him try to demean a person like Wilson did to me. In the mid 80’s Knight lived just a few doors down from me and every interaction I had with him was also first class so I am sure I am influenced by that.

Well, I will say this. I have had limited interchanges with both Knight and Allen. Tom Allen is a class act, always and every time. He makes you think you are the most important person in his world when he speaks to you. Bob on the other hand could be tough as nails, but I never saw him try to demean a person like Wilson did to me. In the mid 80’s Knight lived just a few doors down from me and every interaction I had with him was also first class so I am sure I am influenced by that.
Appreciate the thoughts.

Meanwhile back at the ranch. … (putting Coach Wilson aside)

Teagarden likes the improvement Myles Jackson and Alfred Bryant have brought to the “bull” position. Myles pushes Alfred every day to earn Bryant’s starter status. Both know their position assignments (fits). James Head has also been praised for his preparation this season on the opposite edge. We should be taking the sideline escapes away from opposing offenses this year.

Last season’s hype machine didn’t provide this kind of detail.

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2022/8/22/football-quoted-fall-camp-edition-bulls-specialists.aspx

Reactions: Walt542 and 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT