ADVERTISEMENT

First benchmark for...

I think his first mission will be spending time with TJD and communicating, with credibility, what he needs to do to make the successful leap to the NBA.
Woodson is on the Dakich show right now. He said he will be meeting with Trayce and his parents to pitch them on remaining with the program for one more year in order to get him to the NBA.

Woodson is on the Dakich show right now. He said he will be meeting with Trayce and his parents to pitch them on remaining with the program for one more year in order to get him to the NBA.
And he’ll have a pitch based on a demonstrated background of expertise. Davis and his family would be wise to soak up the message.

And he’ll have a pitch based on a demonstrated background of expertise. Davis and his family would be wise to soak up the message.
At least we won't have to deal with Archie doing things like showing Trey Kaufman video of Trayce when it's clear Kaufman and Trayce are completely different players.

Reactions: 76-1
At least we won't have to deal with Archie doing things like showing Trey Kaufman video of Trayce when it's clear Kaufman and Trayce are completely different players.
Still shake my head at the number of people here who never were able to see that Miller was in way over his head. TK never was an IU lean, and he likely would’ve pushed UVA and UNC past us, as well, given Miller’s message to him.

Reactions: sku
Still shake my head at the number of people here who never were able to see that Miller was in way over his head. TK never was an IU lean, and he likely would’ve pushed UVA and UNC past us, as well, given Miller’s message to him.
Right. That's why I'm so excited to see what Woodson can do on the recruiting trail with his main pitch being player development in the NBA.

Reactions: 76-1 and HOOS13R

Id contend that how he used TJD was the problem. Which then created the problem with Trey Kauffman.

I know TJD was a beast. Averaged nearly 20 and 10, etc... But it didn’t help us win games. AND he’s in no better shape draft wise than when he arrived. That matters, a lot, in this day and age.

He should have been more active in pick and rolls. Should have been asked to guard more perimeter guys defensively. Should have been moved around the perimeter more, instead of basically just on the block or at the top of the key. It might have opened the middle up more for everyone else. Might have promoted better, earlier, ball movement. And it would have given him a shot to improve his draft stock.

And if Trey sees him playing that way...then the comparison isn’t so far off.

Id contend that how he used TJD was the problem. Which then created the problem with Trey Kauffman.

I know TJD was a beast. Averaged nearly 20 and 10, etc... But it didn’t help us win games. AND he’s in no better shape draft wise than when he arrived. That matters, a lot, in this day and age.

He should have been more active in pick and rolls. Should have been asked to guard more perimeter guys defensively. Should have been moved around the perimeter more, instead of basically just on the block or at the top of the key. It might have opened the middle up more for everyone else. Might have promoted better, earlier, ball movement. And it would have given him a shot to improve his draft stock.

TJD should have looked at how Juwan Morgan was used. He was used the same way. No variation. Now he should realize that with Woodson he has a chance to change his game and image for his NBA aspirations

Reactions: IUAPEX

I agree with this. If you go back to Khristian Lander's quotes at the time he committed, he talked about playing NBA style pick-and-roll with Trayce Jackson-Davis. We didn't see any of that, and I'm wondering if Archie used the NBA P&R pitch while recruiting Lander.

Any coach worth his salt understands that what makes bigs incredibly valuable in the NBA is having a perimeter jump shot to help space the floor. Clearly, Archie was not working on adding that to Trayce's game, which would have increased Trayce's draft stock and the team overall.

I agree with this. If you go back to Khristian Lander's quotes at the time he committed, he talked about playing NBA style pick-and-roll with Trayce Jackson-Davis. We didn't see any of that, and I'm wondering if Archie used the NBA P&R pitch while recruiting Lander.

Any coach worth his salt understands that what makes bigs incredibly valuable in the NBA is having a perimeter jump shot to help space the floor. Clearly, Archie was not working on adding that to Trayce's game, which would have increased Trayce's draft stock and the team overall.
I think we witnessed a one-dimensional coaching approach for the last two hires on opposite sides of the floor.

Reactions: IUgradman

i think the problem started with how he used romeo. imo that's what started the downward spiral in his recruiting.

I believe Archie was for Archie only and used TJD the way he did to try and add a few more wins so he could keep his job. There is no way he was looking at the best interest for TJD when it was obvious there was never any work done on extending his range or using his right hand. Now some of the responsibility for that has to fall on TJD but the majority is the coaches. Kind of like how he had a high 5 Star recruit stand in the corner for most of the one year he was at IU.

TJD should have looked at how Juwan Morgan was used. He was used the same way. No variation. Now he should realize that with Woodson he has a chance to change his game and image for his NBA aspirations
I'm not defending Archie, but this rings pretty false. Morgan shot the ball from the perimeter a bunch.

It's a bit like the old football axiom " You only run what you can block". If TJD could make threes, he would have been taking them. Woodson won't have him doing that either unless/until he demonstrates that he can make them. Woodson's job is to win. Getting guys ready for the NBA is great so long as it is clearly a secondary objective to winning. Guys who want to be used in a way that boosts their draft stock even if it isn't in the best interest of the team to use them that way should leave. And any coach that risks losing in order to cater to a player's pro aspirations should be gone asap.

I'm not defending Archie, but this rings pretty false. Morgan shot the ball from the perimeter a bunch.

It's a bit like the old football axiom " You only run what you can block". If TJD could make threes, he would have been taking them. Woodson won't have him doing that either unless/until he demonstrates that he can make them. Woodson's job is to win. Getting guys ready for the NBA is great so long as it is clearly a secondary objective to winning. Guys who want to be used in a way that boosts their draft stock even if it isn't in the best interest of the team to use them that way should leave. And any coach that risks losing in order to cater to a player's pro aspirations should be gone asap.

Your statement rings false... JM's College Career avg. 3pt attempts - 1.5 3pt% avg. - . 297
Hardly a bunch...
And where did you read that CMW would cater to a player... What I said clearly was TJD has a chance to change his game and image under Woodson's tutelage.

Your statement rings false... JM's College Career avg. 3pt attempts - 1.5 3pt% avg. - . 297
Hardly a bunch...
And where did you read that CMW would cater to a player... What I said clearly was TJD has a chance to change his game and image under Woodson's tutelage.
Look at my post. I wasn't responding to you.

Reactions: Imsowyctcwuzbetta
I believe Archie was for Archie only and used TJD the way he did to try and add a few more wins so he could keep his job. There is no way he was looking at the best interest for TJD when it was obvious there was never any work done on extending his range or using his right hand. Now some of the responsibility for that has to fall on TJD but the majority is the coaches. Kind of like how he had a high 5 Star recruit stand in the corner for most of the one year he was at IU.

I think the coach's job in games is to do everything possible to win those games.

The development of a player's game should take place in individual sessions, mostly off -season. Doing individual work as the season drags on would also be ok. But TJD shouldn't have been attempting 3s in games just to show the scouts something, imo. Same for using his right hand.

I think the coach's job in games is to do everything possible to win those games.

The development of a player's game should take place in individual sessions, mostly off -season. Doing individual work as the season drags on would also be ok. But TJD shouldn't have been attempting 3s in games just to show the scouts something, imo. Same for using his right hand.
Extending his range doesn't mean jacking up 3s for the scouts but in his case he must certainly develop a 5 to 10 foot jumper AND he needs to develope the right hand, however he has to do it and hopefully coaching is part of that. Failure to arrive with those skills in the fall, if he is back, will be a serious knock on him and maybe the staff as well.

Extending his range doesn't mean jacking up 3s for the scouts but in his case he must certainly develop a 5 to 10 foot jumper AND he needs to develope the right hand, however he has to do it and hopefully coaching is part of that. Failure to arrive with those skills in the fall, if he is back, will be a serious knock on him and maybe the staff as well.
Speaking as someone who has not played the game in any organized way, is it likely that a 19/20/21 year old player can develop skills like that over one summer, if he has not done it in the previous 12/14 years?

Reactions: T.M.P.
dumb

Speaking as someone who has not played the game in any organized way, is it likely that a 19/20/21 year old player can develop skills like that over one summer, if he has not done it in the previous 12/14 years?
All players should work towards improving their game from one year to the next, regardless of their age. Whether they do or not is up to the individual.

Yeah, he said that he was going to go after the kids in the portal....who can help us win basketball games.

Pretty stock answer for any coach. But, still, you like to hear it.
Based on last year that could be a small group. Can he be confident he can coach quit out of a bunch of guys in short order?

TJD took 0 threes this year and I think Race took 8.............that is absolutely awful coaching.
Are you saying they didn't take enough 3's? I would argue that Race should have only taken one of those 8 if the shot clock was winding down and he had to let it fly. Those guys are not outside shooters. I'm glad they didn't take very many.

Reactions: BHAII
Are you saying they didn't take enough 3's? I would argue that Race should have only taken one of those 8 if the shot clock was winding down and he had to let it fly. Those guys are not outside shooters. I'm glad they didn't take very many.

I’d say Race and TJD should have been developing the ability to hit three’s. Kirk Haston maybe the best example. Took zero three pt shots as a freshman, went 0 for 2 from three as a sophomore. Junior year he takes 69 of them and hits 37%. I’ve heard him credit assistant coach Tim Buckley with helping it make him a shooter. Race and TJD need that help (and self-motivation).

If either of them have dreams of sniffing an NBA roster, they must realize that they have to be able to hit the three.

If IU wants to recruit big guys that have dreams of the NBA, they have to demonstrate ability to develop their own to be able to hit the three. Coach Woodson has said this will be a big point of emphasis, so hopefully that will be the case and results we be apparent.

BTW, I’ve seen Buckley on some lists of potential assistants. Would be another nice link to past successes.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
Can it be done? Yes. But can Trayce do it to the point he is comfortable enough to do it in games? Doubt anyone knows, but I think its
More about the confidence than acquiring the actual skill, just because I think it’s unlikely a kid playing as much as he has with an nba Dad is just now recognizing he needs those skills or just beginning to work on them. Probably more of a confidence or mental thing, as I’ll bet he’s been working with both hands since he was 12 and probably done more Mikan drills than any 4 posters combined.

Now, One week has passed... He has garnered some of the good ones back into the program. Let's see in the next week he can bring in a shooting 4 and another big, maybe bring Armaan back!

Reactions: travlinhoosier
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT