ADVERTISEMENT

FIRE GLASS NOW

Why does she hate it if she don't understand it. She probably just hates you along with all your co workers.

She finds sports to be a waste of time. There is a lot of hate for things people don't understand, don't you think? Just look at the posts you have made in the last few days, so many void of any facts at all, but your emotions have caused you to say them anyway. The Alford rebuild at Iowa, that was top notch.

She probably finds your conversations a waste of time like everyone else. She's probably gonna fire you soon and you will be in limbo with your hero. You and Crean can surf Monster.com together.

Butler, the same team that beat Arizona this year? Beat Northwestern, Utah, Vanderbilt, Marquette twice, Cincinnati, Villanova (twice), Providence, Seton Hall, Xavier? Butler is a damn good team, no shame in losing to them when one considers who they have already beaten. IU BU was a great game, down to the wire. IPFW? No, not a good game, though you know OG barely played because he was sick, right?
Yes Butler has a heck of a coach.

My boss? She hates basketball, she's from India and doesn't even understand it.
The only thing I can say to all this banter is this. Crean is paid like an elite coach - If we act like adults and review his body of work in comparison to other elite coaches and/or lower paid coaches, does his "performance" warrant the salary he receives and a continuation of his employment? If IU was akin to the stock of a publicly traded corporation would we say the the share has appreciated substantially over the nine year period of his employment? I realize the business analogy is not perfect but if we take the approach that many on the board have taken (i.e. basketball at IU is a business) it may not be that far off. IMO I cannot think of any corporation that would continue his employment as the "stock" has not "appreciated". If FG takes a logical look at his performance and has any business sense, Crean will be dismissed. In particular, we are not satisfying the goals that Fred indicated he wanted for IUBB. I do not care for Crean and his brand of basketball. However, he has as reached his peak. He has somewhat done a decent job of re-establising IU but we need a new leader who can propel our "stock" on continual upward, path versus the quarter to quarter performance that has been the case with Crean. Sorry for all the business analogies but this is how I think about the situation given the role of college sports as profit centers for their respective universities. Hope FG shows that he is a good business leader and dismisses Crean!

Yes, I am a member of that alumni base. The same can be said about 100 schools with alumni spread all over the place. That same alumni base that was proud to win the Big Ten last year, proud to put the Wildcats of Kentucky down in the NCAA tournament. Same ones proud to beat UNC and KU this year before OG injury.
Yes you are part of the alumni that accepts losing and one of the ones who deserve to be defenestrated as soon as Crean is fired. Va te faire foutre, enculé.

What HickoryHoosier is saying on the other site, he's an insider and rarely wrong, is that this is Crean's decision ultimately. Fred won't fire him. Crean was apparently offered the Missouri job but the pay just wasn't what Tom and his ego feel he deserves. I wish I were making this up but it's true. Crean has been paid around $30M by us, won nothing, and yet Glass still can't fire him. He was also offered over 7 figures by Missouri. We have the most incompetent AD in the country.
this premise has to be the most asinine that could be contrived by an AD or anyone. IU is stuck with Crean because Missouri isn't offering him enough money make him happy? With that much clout, wouldn't it mean that Crean runs the show?

Butler, the same team that beat Arizona this year? Beat Northwestern, Utah, Vanderbilt, Marquette twice, Cincinnati, Villanova (twice), Providence, Seton Hall, Xavier? Butler is a damn good team, no shame in losing to them when one considers who they have already beaten. IU BU was a great game, down to the wire. IPFW? No, not a good game, though you know OG barely played because he was sick, right?

Yes, I know he was sick but it's IPFW. We should have beaten them by 20 with our bench starting.

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
Look. We all want him fine so bad we have fallen victim to message board "sources" and rumors. NO One on this bird knows anything. Yet, myself included, fall for every post. Now we fall for the "it's all Creans decision" post and we are pissed Just a few days ago we were all happy due to a post declaring Crean was out. Then the Mizzu rumor- to which I do know a person there that told me nothing was happening. IF there is a change, it will not be till we are done. Just how FG operates. My gut tells me no change coming. No extension and we have a lame duck coach for another year. We probably make the tourney next year then the extension will come. Jus a gut feeling No source.
this is my biggest concern.....that IU settles for a lame duck situation...thinking that all sides are satisfied because all sides get something out of the deal. IU basketball is at a crossroads right now....where it hasn't been before in terms of stature. Fred Glass is playing with fire if he entertains another year of Tom Crean at IU.

LOL. Worldwide brand. That, in a nutshell defines the delusion that is our fanbase. LOL. What world do you live in? At one point in time we were a national brand, but that was before the internet, before HD, before every game being on television for kids to consume. It was the last century.

Settler Agenda

Reactions: russelltodd
Settler Agenda

67286094.jpg

Reactions: indy1203
this premise has to be the most asinine that could be contrived by an AD or anyone. IU is stuck with Crean because Missouri isn't offering him enough money make him happy? With that much clout, wouldn't it mean that Crean runs the show?

Crean does run the show. Glass has no nads to force him to quit scheduling so many cupcakes even though it kills our seed every year.

As I posted a few weeks back, I was told (from someone close to FG) that TC would not be fired until FG had a replacement. It's unlikely he can announce a replacement until that coach is done with the NCAA's. Exception being Donovan, obviously. The fear would be that FG doesn't have a legit replacement and Crean stays on.

Not that there's anything wrong with that - Jerry Seinfeld and George Costanza

If IU was akin to the stock of a publicly traded corporation would we say the the share has appreciated substantially over the nine year period of his employment? I realize the business analogy is not perfect but if we take the approach that many on the board have taken (i.e. basketball at IU is a business) it may not be that far off. IMO I cannot think of any corporation that would continue his employment as the "stock" has not "appreciated".

That analogy not only isn't perfect, it's awful.

If IU basketball was a publicly traded stock, it would've been a penny stock when Crean took it over....teetering on the edge of delisting and bankruptcy. As such, I would say that the "stock" has appreciated considerably since Crean took over. After all, a stock that's selling for $5 a share today probably isn't indicative of a healthy company....but if you bought those shares at $0.50, then you've made a tenfold return.

If all we're looking at is how we've done relative to where we were then, then it helps Crean's case. Because there is absolutely no question that the program is in better shape today than it was in 2008.

But this only tells us so much. As I recall, we had 1 returning player in Crean's first year -- and he was a walk-on. It would be hard to go down from there.

The problem isn't that we haven't "gone up" since then -- but that we haven't gone up enough. Even in his best years, we've never managed to get past the Sweet Sixteen....and this despite one team that had two of the top 4 players in the following draft. Now, we're striking out on more recruits than ever.

It's just a mess. And it's time to cut bait.

That analogy not only isn't perfect, it's awful.

If IU basketball was a publicly traded stock, it would've been a penny stock when Crean took it over....teetering on the edge of delisting and bankruptcy. As such, I would say that the "stock" has appreciated considerably since Crean took over. After all, a stock that's selling for $5 a share today probably isn't indicative of a healthy company....but if you bought those shares at $0.50, then you've made a tenfold return.

If all we're looking at is how we've done relative to where we were then, then it helps Crean's case. Because there is absolutely no question that the program is in better shape today than it was in 2008.

But this only tells us so much. As I recall, we had 1 returning player in Crean's first year -- and he was a walk-on. It would be hard to go down from there.

The problem isn't that we haven't "gone up" since then -- but that we haven't gone up enough. Even in his best years, we've never managed to get past the Sweet Sixteen....and this despite one team that had two of the top 4 players in the following draft. Now, we're striking out on more recruits than ever.

It's just a mess. And it's time to cut bait.
OK this is a fair response. I will not disagree that his performance was good relative to where he started. However, as you point out there was a low bar at that point - bankrupt or survive. Moreover, in business even Apple and Google have been sold when when the prospects for continued growth seem unlikely. That is the case. He is perhaps a great motivator and optimist but you eventually have to bring home the bacon. We are paying for superior results not just keeping the company alive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT