ADVERTISEMENT

Fan Nation - Gabe Cupps, Bronny James Match Up on ESPN Tuesday at 9 p.m. ET

shame the idiot trolls have to blow up every thread.

back to the topic at hand, i thought GC looked good, though small.

defense is were he might struggle, as his lateral movement could be improved perhaps, plus the size thing.

but he has a really good north-south burst and finishes well.

only saw him attempt one outside shot, but he hit it, and it was an NBA 3 with someone on him.

his team's team play was amazing.

numerous times it looked like a Hickory highlight reel, after Hickory had started firing on all cylinders.
What I noticed was the ball looked bigger in his hands dribbling etc somehow to me than the others . I was focusing on him as hadnt seen him at all. Reminded me of a taller Jay Burson of OSU fame in that manner ..............If he is close we have a good college player.

What I noticed was the ball looked bigger in his hands dribbling etc somehow to me than the others . I was focusing on him as hadnt seen him at all. Reminded me of a taller Jay Burson of OSU fame in that manner ..............If he is close we have a good college player.

he didn't push the issue much, as he would on a HS team that needed him to dominate, so kinda hard to judge.

he has a quick jump.

another Jay Burson would certainly work. or even a Neil Reed.

he didn't push the issue much, as he would on a HS team that needed him to dominate, so kinda hard to judge.

he has a quick jump.

another Jay Burson would certainly work. or even a Neil Reed.
For sure on Burson. I don't care where he played you had to respect that kid especially after what happened. I got sense too it was a different game and Cupps was playing his role which is a good thing.

Reactions: ulrey
James has D1 talent, supposedly Hes going to the g league if he is in fact lacking offers that would be why. Cupps is a solid player he is no Yogi Ferrel by any stretch. His dad is a helluva coach they controlled a team that was way more talented. Cupps is a typical coach's son , he plays smart and lets the game come to him didn't force anything. I see him as a solid backup point guard for us. size and athleticism imo will keep him from ever going beyond that.
Size and athleticism? There are a ton of guys like Skiles, Alford, Stockton etc etc that were smallish guards with limited athleticism who way more than excelled. Give me a guy who understands the game and has great vision at the point over an Uber athlete who doesn't any day of the week.

Size and athleticism? There are a ton of guys like Skiles, Alford, Stockton etc etc that were smallish guards with limited athleticism who way more than excelled. Give me a guy who understands the game and has great vision at the point over an Uber athlete who doesn't any day of the week.
Steve Kerr, Mark Price, Mark Jackson, Dennis Johnson, Danny Ainge, Doc Rivers... guys who understand the game and get guys the ball in the right time and place without turning it over have/will always have a place on a team. All the moreso if they can knock down outside shots and FTs consistently. I'm excited about Cupps and think many on here are underselling him. I thought the question about how someone felt about Jordan Hulls was interesting, but I'm guessing people were more excited about him just because he was an IN guy. I think Cupps is going to be a very good player for us.

Last edited:
Well he's not a shooter like that.
Never will be..
But I think he'll be fine..
I don't know. Whenever I watch his highlights, he scores in the flow and doesn't seem afraid to take a shot... and oh yeah, he always seems to get the win in the end! He may not be able to beat Jordan in a game of Horse, but I don't think he's a slouch as a shooter and I think he's bigger, quicker, can do more and more athletic than Jordan.

I don't know. Whenever I watch his highlights, he scores in the flow and doesn't seem afraid to take a shot... and oh yeah, he always seems to get the win in the end! He may not be able to beat Jordan in a game of Horse, but I don't think he's a slouch as a shooter and I think he's bigger, quicker, can do more and more athletic than Jordan.

Plus with Jordan now involved in the program him and Cupps might have some kick ass games of horse!

Reactions: jimmygoiu
The thing that really strikes me in the video is that Cupps makes every single shot he takes. Having a 100% shooter is really going to help us on the perimeter.
I don't know what that video was even from, but every time I see him, I just like how he plays. I think lots of folks are writing him off on here and I think he's going to be a great 4 year player for us. Probably as a backup maybe his first year or 2, but unless we have a super talented guy in front of him (yes, I'm counting JHS as long as he's here) I think he'll be quite capable of starting and running a team. Done it throughout his HS and AAU career with great results.

I don't know what that video was even from, but every time I see him, I just like how he plays. I think lots of folks are writing him off on here and I think he's going to be a great 4 year player for us. Probably as a backup maybe his first year or 2, but unless we have a super talented guy in front of him (yes, I'm counting JHS as long as he's here) I think he'll be quite capable of starting and running a team. Done it throughout his HS and AAU career with great results.
I was just kidding and agree with you (I was just being a sarcastic smarta$$ in regards to highlight videos in general. Wasn’t targeting you or Cupps). He is very fundamentally sound, obviously has “bought into” IU in a huge way, is a winner and I’m glad he is coming.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT