ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN B10 Roundtable & Predictions

I get it - this is just preseason predictions but it is amazing how different expectations and direction of the program are just a year and a half removed from CAM. This looks to be a very down year in the B1G in terms of star power. I wouldn't mind seeing a 23rd B1G title won :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: 4IUSox2
I predict around 3rd. Anything from 1-5 really I could see. And also would be a massive improvement from last year. Anything below 5 would be disappointing.

I predict around 3rd. Anything from 1-5 really I could see. And also would be a massive improvement from last year. Anything below 5 would be disappointing.
Agreed - anything can happen over the course of the B1G season. I do feel optimistic about the roster we have and the non-conference slate that will prepare them for the gauntlet in Jan/Feb.

Agreed - anything can happen over the course of the B1G season. I do feel optimistic about the roster we have and the non-conference slate that will prepare them for the gauntlet in Jan/Feb.
yep. I just have a hard time seeing a jump from 9th to 1st in one year. Has that ever happened? Maybe its all too common but doesn't seem like it.

Reactions: BaxterIU and ulrey
yep. I just have a hard time seeing a jump from 9th to 1st in one year. Has that ever happened? Maybe its all too common but doesn't seem like it.
I see Michigan did do just that from 19-20 to 20-21 seasons. Seems like the exception though and not the norm.

Hard to envision we won't jump significantly in the standings. I would think because of all that we return versus all that most everyone else lost, that just by that alone we'll win a handful more games than we did last year. 13-7 has historically been good enough for 4th place or so. I'd say that's probably where the disappointment versus excitement fulcrum should be set. 12-13 wins, 4th-5th place. Worse than that sucks. Better than that is nice.

Its hard to envision going from 9-11, and how we lost a lot of those games...to winning the conference. I don't have a tangible argument that any of the other teams are better...its just hard to make that jump in my head to winning the conference. That usually implies winning in places like Mackey, Breslin, Carver, etc...

Last time IU won the B10 they finished T-8th at 9-9 the year before.

A lot of similarities between that team and this years team. Both teams returned almost all their scoring production from the year prior after barely squeaking in the tournament and losing in the first round. Also brought in highly rated recruiting classes.

Hard to envision we won't jump significantly in the standings. I would think because of all that we return versus all that most everyone else lost, that just by that alone we'll win a handful more games than we did last year. 13-7 has historically been good enough for 4th place or so. I'd say that's probably where the disappointment versus excitement fulcrum should be set. 12-13 wins, 4th-5th place. Worse than that sucks. Better than that is nice.

Its hard to envision going from 9-11, and how we lost a lot of those games...to winning the conference. I don't have a tangible argument that any of the other teams are better...its just hard to make that jump in my head to winning the conference. That usually implies winning in places like Mackey, Breslin, Carver, etc...
How we lost those games? We were in every single game outside of UM at home who we later beat.

How we lost those games? We were in every single game outside of UM at home who we later beat.
IU was 2-5 in conference games decided by 5 points or less and that includes IU's win at the Barn where Minny went on a 25-6 run to end the game and it doesn't include the OT loss at Ohio State where IU lead by 4 with less than a minute remaining. 9-11 was good enough for 9th, 4th place finished at 12-8. Close out just two of those 6 games and I'm guessing most people's outlook is much different heading into this year.

Exactly...we blew a lot of leads. Just a mild concern that "trait" from last year's team might not be solved. Lots of reasons to think it will be though too. If JHS can be any sort of lock down defender against opposing stud perimeter players...that alone will win us more games, as an example. But we will be relying on a lot of the same players that blew a good number of late leads.

Reactions: hoosierdug
the road loss at OSU was so painful.

btw that one guy has Iowa finishing 2nd. He must think Kris Murray is going to play every game like he did against IU last yr. Hard to think Iowa will be that good after losing a lottery pick and a point guard who played there for 2 decades.

Reactions: ulrey
Last time IU won the B10 they finished T-8th at 9-9 the year before.

A lot of similarities between that team and this years team. Both teams returned almost all their scoring production from the year prior after barely squeaking in the tournament and losing in the first round. Also brought in highly rated recruiting classes.
Both teams had more talent the following year and a returning PG in Yogi and X. For the 2016 team they lost Yogi in 2017 and the team sucked. Had IU lost X they wouldn’t be ranked this high.

btw that one guy has Iowa finishing 2nd. He must think Kris Murray is going to play every game like he did against IU last yr. Hard to think Iowa will be that good after losing a lottery pick and a point guard who played there for 2 decades.
I think Iowa will be solid. Kris will be really good. McCaffreys are solid. They have some other long, athletic players. Their backcourt is what will determine their level of success. Similar to Purdue I’d say.

Both teams had more talent the following year and a returning PG in Yogi and X. For the 2016 team they lost Yogi in 2017 and the team sucked. Had IU lost X they wouldn’t be ranked this high.
Probably not 13th to start the year but JHS as the #1 PG I don’t believe would lead to a serious drop off.

Probably not 13th to start the year but JHS as the #1 PG I don’t believe would lead to a serious drop off.
Perhaps, but who is our third PG? In other words, with no X, and a freshman as a starting PG who backs him up?

The one at Wisconsin was the worst.

That is horrible I hate these huge conferences vs the old round robin even with PSU we could get by with 11 playing 20 games. It really makes a conference title meaningless
Ironically, for a while when we had eleven teams we only played 16 conference games.

And yes, our (Illinois’) schedule was shockingly easy … lol. One of those things you take while you can get it, I guess. In 2019-20, we were in second place by one game to a Wisconsin team that had about the easiest schedule I’d ever seen. And in 2020-21, we were in second place by less than a game to a Michigan team that played 3 fewer Big Ten games than us. 😂 So, we will take the leg up!

I think the Big Ten looks like it will be very competitive this year and - even if we lost some star power as a league - possibly faster-paced and more entertaining. With that in mind, I really do wish we could just all play each other twice, though, and I’m really jealous of the folks who were around for those days. The current uneven scheduling really isn’t fair.

When the big ten gets to 20 teams it will be perfect. Play everyone 1 time and have a protected rival who you play twice.

Well thought out. It is quite a jump, but we did have some pretty close games I felt we should have won. And if we are even a little better some of those may go our way. And if those other teams are even slightly worse, that doesn’t hurt our chances. I guess we will see. The only thing that is certain is that if we don’t finish at the top, some people will bitch about it.

When the big ten gets to 20 teams it will be perfect. Play everyone 1 time and have a protected rival who you play twice.
I don’t know, personally I hope they only do that for like Purdue/Indiana and Michigan/MSU. These manufactured rivalries like Illinois/Northwestern are just lame, and we might as well just rotate it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT