ADVERTISEMENT

ERIC

Marvin the Martian

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2001
ERIC is an interstate compact that alerts states in state A that someone has moved and registered to vote in state B. Simply put, virtually no one contacts the state they are moving from to remove their registration. This has been long known to be a major source of potential voter fraud (though it is very seldom found). But the huge potential is there.

Not all states belong to ERIC, and now there is a mass exodus of red states (not all). There are a couple reasons this is happening. When it was setup, by red and blue, it was required that members send a mailer every two years to people not registered reminding them they are not registered and can do so. Now there are no indications that non-voters skew blue, from studies that have been done they reasonably mirror the voting populace.

The second reason is that the board includes some non-voting ex-officio members. One is David Becker who, in 2020 and 2022, was quite adamant that there was no systemic voter fraud.

So let me ask those convinced voter fraud is happening, how is a state supposed to remove a voter who has moved out of state from their voter rolls if there is no such organization as ERIC? Isn't that inviting more fraud? If fraud is one's concern, why do mailers to non-voters reminding them they need to register cause one to be upset?

It's not. That's the claim, but it's really all about voter suppression.
I think that ties in with not wanting to do the mailer reminding people they aren't registered.

The non-registered are 8% less likely to be D, and about 13% less likely to be R, than the "likely" voters. They are far more likely to be independent than voters. This may be the middle group we need.

What I wonder is if we can convert nonregistered nonvoters into voters, will that increase in participation increase their faith in the system and their desire to do things like volunteer? Non-registered seem to have lower volunteerism.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT