ADVERTISEMENT

Employment and employees

TDHoosier

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 11, 2001
I get really confused by the stats I read where more jobs are being filled under this administration. I just went to 4 fast food restaurants in my area that have been around for years and 2 were closed temporarily due to staffing and 2 had their lobby’s closed temporarily due to staffing? I’m sure glad I don’t own any of them, feel for the owners.

I get really confused by the stats I read where more jobs are being filled under this administration. I just went to 4 fast food restaurants in my area that have been around for years and 2 were closed temporarily due to staffing and 2 had their lobby’s closed temporarily due to staffing? I’m sure glad I don’t own any of them, feel for the owners.
I got food poisoning from McDonalds Friday. Thanks Joe.

• Wow
Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
That happened to me years ago. WB97 had a fiero challenge in the college mall in 84. My aunt won a spot to win. The challenge was who could keep their hands on the car the longest. The McDonalds and stores where open 24hrs for the challenge. McD had 19c burgers all night. I ate like 4-5 of them and got as sick as I’ve ever been. She didn’t win the car.🙁

• Haha
Reactions: larsIU
I think part of the problem is that restaurant sales are still down from pre-pandemic levels. While the industry has certainly recovered a large portion of what it lost, I think people kinda got used to eating at home more. Eating out was already much more expensive than home dining, and combined with the inflation issues, people are just cutting back on both the amount they eat out and the number of items ordered.

"Eating out less​

People are dining out less frequently. And the NRA reports 51% of adults saying they are not eating at restaurants as often as they would like, 6 percentage points higher than before the pandemic. "

So, between less demand and higher wage requirements for their employees, restaurants can't justify hiring as many people as pre-pandemic levels.

On the other hand, if you look at revenue for Kroger (and I'm assuming other major grocery chains), they had a yearly revenue growth of 115 billion to 122 billion from 2017 to 2020, but have jumped up to 137 billion in the two years since.

Reactions: larsIU
Uncle Mark, you are not alone according to this source which in part states the following....

Yes, you can sue a restaurant for food poisoning if negligent actions caused your illness. Every year, 48 million people get sick from foodborne diseases, according to the Food and Drug Administration. That’s nearly one in every six Americans who suffer because of irresponsible food handling.

One of the advantages of eating out, as it is hard to sue yourself.

I no longer have a fast food addiction.

I used to love White Castles but it had a huge day-after affect on me. I would leave in the bowl the biggest, stinkiest DANCs that you ever saw. The wife would yell "light a match, it smells like DANC, even way out here".

No more White Castles, plus a judicious use of the ignore list, and big stinky DANCs are now a rarity.

Reactions: kurt cloverdales
I think part of the problem is that restaurant sales are still down from pre-pandemic levels. While the industry has certainly recovered a large portion of what it lost, I think people kinda got used to eating at home more.

We stopped eating out altogether when the 2008 crash happened. Got back into it slightly after we got back on our feet a number of years later, then Covid happened.

Prior to the crash, we'd eat out a couple times a week. Now we'll eat out less than once a month, and it's usually at a cheap Chinese buffet. We will occasionaly get fast food or carryout pizza, but even that is a big exception. Wife no longer works for The Man, likes to cook and is good at it, so we do okay.

Even that demo has no discretionary income left thanks to inflation
They certainly blew a ton of discretionary income on 4th of July fireworks this year. More that I EVER remember, and not one night but a week long celebration. If the inbreds could have bought one that spells out "Trump" in the sky for $100 a pop, I would have seen them everywhere.

I think part of the problem is that restaurant sales are still down from pre-pandemic levels. While the industry has certainly recovered a large portion of what it lost, I think people kinda got used to eating at home more. Eating out was already much more expensive than home dining, and combined with the inflation issues, people are just cutting back on both the amount they eat out and the number of items ordered.

"Eating out less​

People are dining out less frequently. And the NRA reports 51% of adults saying they are not eating at restaurants as often as they would like, 6 percentage points higher than before the pandemic. "

So, between less demand and higher wage requirements for their employees, restaurants can't justify hiring as many people as pre-pandemic levels.

On the other hand, if you look at revenue for Kroger (and I'm assuming other major grocery chains), they had a yearly revenue growth of 115 billion to 122 billion from 2017 to 2020, but have jumped up to 137 billion in the two years since.
Have you seen Krogers prices? I understand why they have seen growth, this seems as if it can only last so long. Quite evident the dollar buys less now than several years ago.

Saddest part of it all is many small business have went under due to increased revenue from big box stores. The wife and I liked eating local but it seems like a near impossibility the last few years.

The only good thing about Walmart is the people. We rarely go ( maybe 3 times a year) but I get at least 10 quality pictures of the clients they attract. My wife tells me Karen is going to get me, lol.

Walmart has "clients"?

i'm even more confused than you.

up until Biden became prez, all staffing issues, thus wage issues as well, were 100% for "the market" to determine.

but after 40 straight yrs of that sht, and "the market" itself being manipulated at that the whole time, the instant "the market" swings back 1 degree in favor of the employee, it's apparently no longer a problem for "the market" to solve.

that said, last i heard, (several yrs ago), all the McDs in Btown were owned by McDonalds rather than franchise holders.

that said, 2 big changes since covid.

1), tons of working class boomers have left the workforce and ain't coming back, because it's not worth it to them anymore since they and their spouses are the ones at risk from covid, and the fact that they have worked a lifetime already, and ain't getting any younger.

2), the internet and apps have enabled Joe and Jane Worker to self employ with Uber or Instacart, or Door Dash, or wrangling electric scooters left all over town, etc, and do as well or better than fast food pay, and with more freedom.

all that said, i've seen fast food lobbies closed with only the drive up open due to staffing long before covid, and watched many McDonalds and Burger Kings and Arby's and Pizza Huts and Little Ceasar's etc close up shop over the yrs.

and seen entire fast food chains close their doors over the yrs, long before covid or Biden..

not every fast food place staying open forever is not something new.

some still open being short staffed isn't a new thing either.

I suspect we will find out on Wednesday that we have 2 quarters in a row of negative growth. The White House is signaling they already know that is the case by running out people to say "Well technically...." Yeah, technically it needs to be reviewed and blah, blah, blah but we are in a recessionary period.

Apparently you can't just print money willy-nilly forever. Who knew.

up until Biden became prez, all staffing issues, thus wage issues as well, were 100% for "the market" to determine.

but after 40 straight yrs of that sht, and "the market" itself being manipulated at that the whole time, the instant "the market" swings back 1 degree in favor of the employee, it's apparently no longer a problem for "the market" to solve.

that said, last i heard, (several yrs ago), all the McDs in Btown were owned by McDonalds rather than franchise holders.

1), tons of working class boomers have left the workforce and ain't coming back, because it's not worth it to them anymore since they and their spouses are the ones at risk from covid, and the fact that they have worked a lifetime already, and ain't getting any younger.

2), the internet and apps have enabled Joe and Jane Worker to self employ with Uber or Instacart, or Door Dash, or wrangling electric scooters left all over town, etc, and do as well or better than fast food pay, and with more freedom.

all that said, i've seen fast food lobbies closed with only the drive up open due to staffing long before covid, and watched many McDonalds and Burger Kings and Arby's and Pizza Huts and Little Ceasar's etc close up shop over the yrs.

and seen entire fast food chains close their doors over the yrs, long before covid or Biden..

I work for a bank that does a ton of NNN lending as well as SBA lending and many fast food establishments are not corporate owned, White Castle is one that stays exclusively corporate owned and that is why you rarely see any of them close.

I too have seen some fast food stores close, typically to relocate because the traffic of a certain area drastically changes. I will say it is rare that within a 2 mile radius what I witnessed yesterday, again I feel for the small business owner these days as we push for all online purchases and big box stores.

You definitely have a strong need to defend Biden, not sure why but ok! I also think Covid has something to do with it, but less than what people make it out to be.

Reactions: Crayfish57
I work for a bank that does a ton of NNN lending as well as SBA lending and many fast food establishments are not corporate owned, White Castle is one that stays exclusively corporate owned and that is why you rarely see any of them close.

I too have seen some fast food stores close, typically to relocate because the traffic of a certain area drastically changes. I will say it is rare that within a 2 mile radius what I witnessed yesterday, again I feel for the small business owner these days as we push for all online purchases and big box stores.

You definitely have a strong need to defend Biden, not sure why but ok! I also think Covid has something to do with it, but less than what people make it out to be.

you showed your true hand in your last paragraph.

i'm not a Biden fan in the slightest, nor do i defend him here, which is totally irrelevant anyway, since none of this has anything what so ever to do with Biden or Trump and you know it.

and if you think this isn't to a great deal rooted in covid, and the boomers that have quit the work force because of it, then you haven't been paying attention.

and as i already pointed out, i think the increased ability to effectively "self employ" now days probably plays a part as well.

• Haha
Reactions: Crayfish57
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT