ADVERTISEMENT

Edey in the pros

Bucket Getter

Senior
Apr 9, 2023
Watched a couple highlights from his Summer game or something. Guess he bailed on the Olympics? Would it be considered sacrilege to kinda hope the dude proves people wrong and he actually can play in the league? Cause for being banned here? Oh, asking for a non-premium subscribing friend. ✌️

Watched a couple highlights from his Summer game or something. Guess he bailed on the Olympics? Would it be considered sacrilege to kinda hope the dude proves people wrong and he actually can play in the league? Cause for being banned here? Oh, asking for a non-premium subscribing friend. ✌️
He seems like a pretty good, if slightly odd (made a good choice in going to PU!) kid, and I'll root for him now that he's gone. Surprised he turned down the Olympics and I think that was a mistake as he could've had a whole country rooting for him and dominate merch sales up there.

Last edited:
He seems like a pretty good, if slightly odd (made a good choice in going to PU!) kid, and I'll root for him now that he's gone. Surprised he turned down the Olympics and I think that was a mistake as he could've had a whole country rooting for him and dominate merch sales up there.
You can tell he's worked extensively with his agility. He's slimmer and bouncier .. but still damn slow. Still a defensive liability .. If they make the playoffs teams will target him every possession, but if he finds the correct role on the correct team his offense and defensive rebounding should keep him on the floor, especially since most teams are not built to stop players like him anymore.

We'll see ...

Surprised he turned down the Olympics and I think that was a mistake as he could've had a whole country rooting for him and dominate merch sales up there.

Yeah, that's odd. Or maybe not. Unlike years ago, before they were taken over by professionals, representing your country in the Olympics was the pinnacle. Not so much anymore.

The least efficient play in pro basketball is the back to the basket post up. It's value is represented accurately.
True. I had read something not too long ago, that teams were averaging less than a point per possession on post-up plays, and that comes out to the same as shooting in the low 30s from three. And, the average 3pt percentage across the whole league is in the high 30s. It's crazy when you lay out all the numbers, but the league isn't run by dummies.

Reactions: T.M.P.
True. I had read something not too long ago, that teams were averaging less than a point per possession on post-up plays, and that comes out to the same as shooting in the low 30s from three. And, the average 3pt percentage across the whole league is in the high 30s. It's crazy when you lay out all the numbers, but the league isn't run by dummies.
fwiw - I hate what analytics has done to basketball as it makes offense a bit homogenized but the numbers can't be ignored. Far better to use a big in a roll action or to let them get theirs off offensive boards unless that player has special ability.

Some players have the skill to override the numbers. The 2pt jumper is the worst shot, not play, but shot, in basketball .. yet some of the most productive scorers have it in their bag and use it extensively. Luka, Book, Durant... as examples.

You can tell he's worked extensively with his agility. He's slimmer and bouncier .. but still damn slow. Still a defensive liability .. If they make the playoffs teams will target him every possession, but if he finds the correct role on the correct team his offense and defensive rebounding should keep him on the floor, especially since most teams are not built to stop players like him anymore.

We'll see ...
He's not that slow. He gets up and down the court relatively fast for a big man.

Last edited:
Maybe, but I remember hearing an NBA coach say statistically the most productive or efficient "play" is getting to the line and I'd guess 80-90% of FT trips are from 2 pt attempts, so there is some value in taking 2s at least going to the basket if not back to the basket shots.

Last edited:
Edey had the nice tip in last night...a nice game. He's now Vegas' favorite to win ROY per ESPN.

Reactions: Bill4411
Maybe, but I remember hearing an NBA coach say statistically the most productive or efficient "play" is getting to the line and I'd guess 80-90% of FT trips are from 2 pt attempts, so there is some value in taking 2s at least going to the basket if not back to the basket shots.
I believe the points per possession factors in point from free throws, but I could be wrong.

Interesting stat.
Baseball is heavy into analytics, so why not basketball.

Quicker lane agility than Clingan, Sarr, and Risacher.

Quicker shuttle run than Clingan and Sarr. .04 behind Risacher.

Testing wise, he’s not really slow.
Go away pig molester.. you're dull brained and boring.

Because stat nerds have basically ruined both sports. Home run or strike out. 3 pointers or dunks. Boring way to play.
Well if you want to actually win games .. then they can't be ignored just for superficial aesthetics.

fwiw - I hate what analytics has done to basketball as it makes offense a bit homogenized but the numbers can't be ignored. Far better to use a big in a roll action or to let them get theirs off offensive boards unless that player has special ability.

Some players have the skill to override the numbers. The 2pt jumper is the worst shot, not play, but shot, in basketball .. yet some of the most productive scorers have it in their bag and use it extensively. Luka, Book, Durant... as examples.
Alabama is a case in point with analytics. The shot 4 midrange jumpers all year. They will give up an open midrange shot every single time. It was insane watching UConn take that offense apart.

Alabama is a case in point with analytics. The shot 4 midrange jumpers all year. They will give up an open midrange shot every single time. It was insane watching UConn take that offense apart.
He misinterprets analytics .. and wants rim and threes exclusively. Anyone capable of shooting 40+ should be shooting the 2pt J, just to keep the defense honest. Just as teams with poor shooters like IU recently had to shoot 3s when open just to give defense something to think about. It's much easier as a defender knowing anyone penetrating will not be pulling up, allows you to play a step away.

While Oats goes crackhead crazy on his misinterpreted version of analytic based offense, he almost completely ignores the numbers on defense. The guy is a gimmicky weirdo trying to reinvent the wheel much like Crean was. At least he sticks to his philosophies, while Crean changed his constantly.

fwiw - Bama is loaded with talent this year and UConn made everyone look bad last year. Fun to watch ..

Reactions: Bucket Getter
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT