ADVERTISEMENT

Economy is an utter shambles (Civil unrest?)

toastedbread

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2006
Went out for dinner at an abover average priced restaurant. Only 15% of staff retained. Multiply this by thousands of businesses.

What happens when the 600 per week is gone and those jobs don't return?

Edit: who's hiring? Walmart and McD's. Minimum wage only. Or you can work as a slave for Amazon with no bathroom breaks.

Business is cutting to the bone. It's going to get ugly.

Edit: and tech companies are firing American workers before H1B. More indentured servitude in the few decent paying jobs. For all his bluster, Trump has done less than 0 to protect American workers. But he kisses Modi's hiney. New Trump tower in Mumbai? Why are we continuing to import workers with 30%+ unemployment. Utter madness.

I am pretty lucky and landed a job mowing here at the trailer park!

Went out for dinner at an abover average priced restaurant. Only 15% of staff retained. Multiply this by thousands of businesses.

Edit: who's hiring? Walmart and McD's. Minimum wage only. Or you can work as a slave for Amazon with no bathroom breaks.

Edit: and tech companies are firing American workers before H1B. More indentured servitude in the few decent paying jobs. For all his bluster, Trump has done less than 0 to protect American workers. But he kisses Modi's hiney. New Trump tower in Mumbai? Why are we continuing to import workers with 30%+ unemployment. Utter madness.
My office is right next to the courthouse, county offices, loads of restaurants and high rises (for a midwestern city) and we opened back up this past monday: restaurants etc. it is totally dead. like a ghost town. people are permitted to go out but are choosing not to. if things don't change in the coming weeks (not months), i agree it's going to get really ugly.

The federal unemployment runs out at the end of July. State unemployment is paltry and limited in length. I believe in Indiana it lasts 39 weeks, meaning right around Xmas there will be nothing coming in for people laid off in March.

Civil unrest, poverty, homelessness... The true Trump economy.

The federal unemployment runs out at the end of July. State unemployment is paltry and limited in length. I believe in Indiana it lasts 39 weeks, meaning right around Xmas there will be nothing coming in for people laid off in March.

Indiana State UI last up to a max of 26 weeks. If there is either a federal or state "on indicator" an additional 13 weeks of extended benefits are added.

Your post was fine until it became "all Trump's fault". Do you really think he had done nothing to help the American worker in the first 3 years of office? If so, then you are just as ignorant and delusional as the rest of the left. I have often said there are multiple issues to deride Trump, and they are completely legit, but when you come with that non-sense, you lose all creditably. If you want to pick on the guy, at least make it one of the 100 or so legitimate reasons to do so.

I have often said there are multiple issues to deride Trump, and they are completely legit, but when you come with that non-sense, you lose all creditably. If you want to pick on the guy, at least make it one of the 100 or so legitimate reasons to do so.

It seems as if that is the same argument for every complaint...other than he is crude, needs to stay off twitter, and has ridiculous hair.

Your post was fine until it became "all Trump's fault". Do you really think he had done nothing to help the American worker in the first 3 years of office? If so, then you are just as ignorant and delusional as the rest of the left. I have often said there are multiple issues to deride Trump, and they are completely legit, but when you come with that non-sense, you lose all creditably. If you want to pick on the guy, at least make it one of the 100 or so legitimate reasons to do so.

It's 100% correct. No action on OPT. No action on H1B. Expansion of H2b in the middle of a pandemic. Do some research on those programs. They pay zilch in taxes and undercut Americans.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.br...5k-h-2b-foreign-workers-to-take-u-s-jobs/amp/

USCIS is controlled by big business lobbyists who don't give a rats ass about the American worker.

These are the facts.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...-36-5m-jobless/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Where is the wall we were promised? Another lie. The base eats the red meat. Look at the data.

It's 100% correct. No action on OPT. No action on H1B. Expansion of H2b in the middle of a pandemic. Do some research on those programs. They pay zilch in taxes and undercut Americans.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.br...5k-h-2b-foreign-workers-to-take-u-s-jobs/amp/

USCIS is controlled by big business lobbyists who don't give a rats ass about the American worker.

These are the facts.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...-36-5m-jobless/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Where is the wall we were promised? Another lie. The base eats the red meat. Look at the data.
I don't know, toasted. I just look at unemployment data, work-force participation, average hourly earnings (wage growth), GDP growth and they all seemed to be doing pretty damn well until COVID. Trump also stood up against China concerning the theft of intellectual property, among other things. No other politician has tackled that at all. I view that as sticking up for the American worker. Maybe you don't. You may not like the manner in which he did it (I, for one, never complained about the tariffs. Had Obama done the same thing, I would not have complained). You can complain all you want about the economy prior to the virus, but but it just tells me that you are not able to distinguish between your hatred for Trump, and something that he might have done a good job with.

I don't know, toasted. I just look at unemployment data, work-force participation, average hourly earnings (wage growth), GDP growth and they all seemed to be doing pretty damn well until COVID. Trump also stood up against China concerning the theft of intellectual property, among other things. No other politician has tackled that at all. I view that as sticking up for the American worker. Maybe you don't. You may not like the manner in which he did it (I, for one, never complained about the tariffs. Had Obama done the same thing, I would not have complained). You can complain all you want about the economy prior to the virus, but but it just tells me that you are not able to distinguish between your hatred for Trump, and something that he might have done a good job with.

I am talking about something very primordial. How many people are coming in v. how many people are competing for jobs. Trump made campaign promises. He has not kept those. How many miles of new wall have been built? According to wiki, 3 miles of new wall have been constructed. Thats 1 mile per year. Lol! What's the total length of the border again?

Wage growth is concentrated amongst the lowest professions. Tech wages have stalled.

And in the moment of greatest catastrophe, this admin does nothing to prevent employment visas while millions of Americans are laid off. Scandalous and unamerican. And why? Because big business wants cheap labor.

My office is right next to the courthouse, county offices, loads of restaurants and high rises (for a midwestern city) and we opened back up this past monday: restaurants etc. it is totally dead. like a ghost town. people are permitted to go out but are choosing not to. if things don't change in the coming weeks (not months), i agree it's going to get really ugly.
Everyone is afraid. Media mission accomplished. Give it some time.

Lolz

To be honest, there is no way around a major hit on restaurants over the next umpteen months. Considering that 60+, overweight people are at high risk, there's no way around an economic hit as those people shelter in place until it's safe to come out.

If there is one thing I'll mark-up as a Trump success it's that he didn't screw-up the economy. But he ignored the safety net, and now we're in deep crap. Specifically, his single-minded attack on the ACA has left people in states that didn't expand Medicaid eligibility unprotected from medical bankruptcy if they get sick.

Plus, adding to the federal deficit with personal income tax cuts in the midst of a good economy seems rather reckless today, when any option to keep people from complete poverty will add further to the national debt.

Reactions: FairyGodMother
To be honest, there is no way around a major hit on restaurants over the next umpteen months. Considering that 60+, overweight people are at high risk, there's no way around an economic hit as those people shelter in place until it's safe to come out.

If there is one thing I'll mark-up as a Trump success it's that he didn't screw-up the economy. But he ignored the safety net, and now we're in deep crap. Specifically, his single-minded attack on the ACA has left people in states that didn't expand Medicaid eligibility unprotected from medical bankruptcy if they get sick.

Plus, adding to the federal deficit with personal income tax cuts in the midst of a good economy seems rather reckless today, when any option to keep people from complete poverty will add further to the national debt.
It never made sense to me why the Trumplicans thought it was okay to add to the deficit while the economy was humming along. I'm not an expert on government budget deficits, so maybe someone can explain it to me.

Reactions: Bill4411
It never made sense to me why the Trumplicans thought it was okay to add to the deficit while the economy was humming along. I'm not an expert on government budget deficits, so maybe someone can explain it to me.
This budget complaining rings hollow. Look at the votes in the House and Senate on all the budget deals passed during the Trump administration. Now tell me how many Republicans voted no compared to how many Democrats voted no.

This budget complaining rings hollow. Look at the votes in the House and Senate on all the budget deals passed during the Trump administration. Now tell me how many Republicans voted no compared to how many Democrats voted no.

Tax cuts are different from annual budget bills. On the former in 2017, 99% of Democrats voted no.

I think people's spending patterns have changed for a very long time. Even the 2/3 that still have jobs.

I don't understand the partisanship. Party labels are just labels. I generally vote (D), though I probably disagree with them a significant plurality of the time. I owe them no allegiance. Another bone with Trump, who in their right mind attempts to purposefully weaken their own currency. I want the strongest dollar possible. I don't want a Venezuela here, which we could spiral into between these ballooning deficits and Trump's efforts to weaken our own currency.

hes also totally ridiculous and needs to learn when to stfu

I'm actually more concerned about the outrageous paranoia multiplied by the reality altering narcissism.

That's an awful combination for someone with that much power.

Are we not aware of our historical world leaders?

Hell did we not watch game of thrones and understand that the Mad King was not the best leader?

Reactions: Scott S
Tax cuts are different from annual budget bills. On the former in 2017, 99% of Democrats voted no.
So, you've agreed with all the legislation that has passed during this administration besides the tax cut bill?
I'm always interested to see where folks fall with regards to the votes on particular legislation.

I'm actually more concerned about the outrageous paranoia multiplied by the reality altering narcissism.

That's an awful combination for someone with that much power.

Are we not aware of our historical world leaders?

Hell did we not watch game of thrones and understand that the Mad King was not the best leader?

chilllll

only nerds watched that show

So, you've agreed with all the legislation that has passed during this administration besides the tax cut bill?
I'm always interested to see where folks fall with regards to the votes on particular legislation.

The corporate tax cuts were defensible, from what I understand, to bring capital back to the US. But as a general rule there's little in the current Republican agenda I'd support.

The corporate tax cuts were defensible, from what I understand, to bring capital back to the US. But as a general rule there's little in the current Republican agenda I'd support.
Ok. So what bills that have passed during this administration have you disagreed with?
I have a feeling I have disagreed with just as many if not more than you.

ok its Reagans fault and every pube who held office after him

Ok. So what bills that have passed during this administration have you disagreed with?
I have a feeling I have disagreed with just as many if not more than you.

Not many of note, really. The notable bills have been budget compromises and those are a mixed bag. I'm probably forgetting some, though. Even in the 115th Congress when the GOP controlled both chambers they were remarkably unable to pass laws.

They're probably afraid of all the people walking around without masks.

Note: I couldn't stop myself. Sorry. I feel dirty ...like, Lucy, dirty.:)
I get it.. There is also truth in what you say. People are not shy about correcting and shaming these days. They are also u reasonably scared.

A guy walked in to pick up his glasses at my wife's office wearing PPE coveralls, surgical mask, gloves and faceshield. I wonder if he was being really, really protective of the opticians, or was he really, really afraid he was gonna catch Covid and die?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT