ADVERTISEMENT

Economy is an utter shambles (Civil unrest?)

I don't understand the partisanship. Party labels are just labels. I generally vote (D), though I probably disagree with them a significant plurality of the time. I owe them no allegiance. Another bone with Trump, who in their right mind attempts to purposefully weaken their own currency. I want the strongest dollar possible. I don't want a Venezuela here, which we could spiral into between these ballooning deficits and Trump's efforts to weaken our own currency.
Why do you want a strong dollar? In your OP, you're complaining about the lack of high paying jobs. There is a reason China and Brazil keep their currency beneath ours, correct?

We are a long way from becoming Venezuela.

Note: Trump has been consistent on this matter. He has been calling for weakening our currency and trying to end currency manipulation, long before he ran for office.

Last edited:
I get it.. There is also truth in what you say. People are not shy about correcting and shaming these days. They are also u reasonably scared.

A guy walked in to pick up his glasses at my wife's office wearing PPE coveralls, surgical mask, gloves and faceshield. I wonder if he was being really, really protective of the opticians, or was he really, really afraid he was gonna catch Covid and die?
Yeah, I'm guessing that guy's more into self preservation. But at least everyone can be confident that he didn't shed the virus outside of his self containment.

Why do you want a strong dollar? In your OP, you're complaining about the lack of high paying jobs. There is a reason China and Brazil keep their currency beneath ours, correct?

We are a long way from becoming Venezuela.

Note: Trump has been consistent on this matter. He has been calling for weakening our currency and trying to end currency manipulation, long before he ran for office.

Those are developing countries. I prefer we build a world class county pursuing high tech. Invest the surpluses into education and improving our human capital. Lead the way in technological innovation. Let everyone else fight for the scraps. I realize that big business loves a cheap dollar. You do realize that the wealthiest countries typically have the strongest currencies?

Those are developing countries. I prefer we build a world class county pursuing high tech. Invest the surpluses into education and improving our human capital. Lead the way in technological innovation. Let everyone else fight for the scraps. I realize that big business loves a cheap dollar. You do realize that the wealthiest countries typically have the strongest currencies?
That doesn't answer my question. This isn't a body building contest. Strong isn't necessarily good. Why do you want a strong dollar?

What surpluses are you talking about? We are THE leader in technological innovation. We are the richest country in the world. We have the strongest currency in the world. And it costs us billions of dollars a year.

I get it.. There is also truth in what you say. People are not shy about correcting and shaming these days. They are also u reasonably scared.

A guy walked in to pick up his glasses at my wife's office wearing PPE coveralls, surgical mask, gloves and faceshield. I wonder if he was being really, really protective of the opticians, or was he really, really afraid he was gonna catch Covid and die?
What's it matter why he did what he did? Masks may help reduce the possibility the wearer spreads the disease to others. That should be all we need to know. Wear a mask out of your respect for the health of your fellow Americans. End of story. This isn't difficult.

Trump has lost credibility with more than 50% of American workers (and spenders). Pence said this will be over this weekend.

Trump voters: you wanted someone who would shake things up. Congratulations! You got your wish!

Not many of note, really. The notable bills have been budget compromises and those are a mixed bag. I'm probably forgetting some, though. Even in the 115th Congress when the GOP controlled both chambers they were remarkably unable to pass laws.
What makes you think they were unable to pass laws? I would say they passed the laws they wanted. There is not much difference in most Senators ideologies no matter what they say to the media. It shows up when they cast their votes.

That doesn't answer my question. This isn't a body building contest. Strong isn't necessarily good. Why do you want a strong dollar?

What surpluses are you talking about? We are THE leader in technological innovation. We are the richest country in the world. We have the strongest currency in the world. And it costs us billions of dollars a year.

It's a two way street. Stronger currency means foreign goods are cheaper for American consumers. I realize that there are winners and losers. Since you are in agriculture, a strong currency is inherently bad for you. Fyi, our currency is not the strongest in the world. I believe we are in the range of 10th most valuable currency according to the latest exchange rates.

We are currently the leader in technological innovation. Can you say with a straight face that this is will continue? China is surpassing us in key technological industries of the future, namely AI.

What's it matter why he did what he did? Masks may help reduce the possibility the wearer spreads the disease to others. That should be all we need to know. Wear a mask out of your respect for the health of your fellow Americans. End of story. This isn't difficult.
Or stay in your mom’s basement.:p

Reactions: HillzHoozier
It's a two way street. Stronger currency means foreign goods are cheaper for American consumers. I realize that there are winners and losers. Since you are in agriculture, a strong currency is inherently bad for you. Fyi, our currency is not the strongest in the world. I believe we are in the range of 10th most valuable currency according to the latest exchange rates.

We are currently the leader in technological innovation. Can you say with a straight face that this is will continue? China is surpassing us in key technological industries of the future, namely AI.
Currency strength is relative. Of the nine currencies that you believe are stronger than ours, how many could print 11T units and have the strength of their currency appreciate, relative to others? How many other currencies are pegged to each of those currencies?

If you are concerned about China passing us in key technological industries, then the strength of currency must necessarily not be positively correlated to your stated goals. Think about it. How could China ever pass us, when their currency is pegged/manipulated to always be cheaper than ours?

Last edited:
Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
JFC

He said time in hell has set his feet on a street called straight: He’s stopping hard alcohol and bong rips, and will only self-medicate with the occasional hard cider and marijuana edible.​

sounds like he’s on the straight and narrow

That also was just about the most poorly written article I’ve ever read

Reactions: HillzHoozier
In HD's World:

Concern for fellow man = fear.
Meanwhile, his hero is scared to wear a mask because the big, bad media may tease him. :oops:
Yes, clearly, because I roll my eyes at people crying about upcoming civil unrest and people shooting each other in the streets, I care nothing for my fellow man. :rolleyes:

That doesn’t even make sense.

Reactions: Scott S
Bill Gates is my favorite. Not sure why he’s in so many conspiracy theories. OAN is someone must be broadcasting something. Almost every nutbag video I’ve seen of people screaming about their rights to not wear a mask mentions him.

Reactions: sglowrider
Bill Gates is my favorite. Not sure why he’s in so many conspiracy theories. OAN is someone must be broadcasting something. Almost every nutbag video I’ve seen of people screaming about their rights to not wear a mask mentions him.

New Yahoo News/YouGov poll shows coronavirus conspiracy theories spreading on the right may hamper vaccine efforts

4MJtP1y.png

According to a new Yahoo News/YouGov poll, 44 percent of Republicans believe that Bill Gates is plotting to use a mass COVID-19 vaccination campaign as a pretext to implant microchips in billions of people and monitor their movements — a widely debunked conspiracy theory with no basis in fact.

The survey, which was conducted May 20 and 21, found that only 26 percent of Republicans correctly identify the story as false.

In contrast, just 19 percent of Democrats believe the same spurious narrative about the Microsoft founder and public-health philanthropist. A majority of Democrats recognize that it’s not true.

As states relax their lockdown restrictions and responsibility for containing the coronavirus shifts, in part, to the American people, the vast gap between the right and the left over Gates reflects a growing problem: the dangerous, destabilizing tendency to ignore fundamental facts about the deadly pathogen in favor of misinformation peddled by partisans, including President Trump, and spread on social media.

That tendency is more widespread on the right, although liberals also believe some false narratives (including that COVID-19 deaths have already surged in states that were quick to reopen).

The new Yahoo News/YouGov poll found that this “choose your own reality” effect is distorting perceptions of nearly every aspect of the pandemic, from reopening to vaccination to the official death toll. A broad majority of the public is either “very” (56 percent) or “somewhat” concerned (30 percent) about “false or misleading information being communicated about coronavirus.” That sentiment, at least, is not partisan: More than 80 percent of Democrats, Republicans and independents agree.

Yet blame for these concerns varies greatly by political affiliation. When Democrats are asked to select the top source of false or misleading information about the coronavirus, 56 percent pick the Trump administration; that number rises to 69 percent among Hillary Clinton voters. Republicans, however, point to the mainstream media (54 percent) as the primary culprit; 61 percent of Trump voters say likewise.

The result, in many cases, is two different sets of “facts” — only one of which resembles the truth.

Take the Gates example. Half of all Americans (50 percent) who name Fox News as their primary television news source believe the disproven conspiracy theory, and 44 percent of voters who cast ballots for Trump in 2016 do as well — even though neither Fox nor Trump has promoted it. At the same time, just 15 percent of MSNBC viewers and 12 percent of Clinton voters say the story is true.

The spread of such an outlandish charge may seem silly, but it could have catastrophic consequences. Through his namesake foundation, the tech billionaire has long championed vaccines in developing countries. So far, he has committed $300 million to combating the coronavirus. If large portions of the public believe that Gates’s intent is nefarious — and if they go on to convince themselves that any coronavirus vaccine will be dangerous — then many may refuse to get vaccinated. (There is a parallel sentiment among some evangelicals to resist vaccination out of fear it would constitute the “mark of the beast” mentioned in the Book of Revelation.)

The more people refuse to get vaccinated, the harder it becomes to end the pandemic.

Reactions: Digressions
New Yahoo News/YouGov poll shows coronavirus conspiracy theories spreading on the right may hamper vaccine efforts

4MJtP1y.png

According to a new Yahoo News/YouGov poll, 44 percent of Republicans believe that Bill Gates is plotting to use a mass COVID-19 vaccination campaign as a pretext to implant microchips in billions of people and monitor their movements — a widely debunked conspiracy theory with no basis in fact.

The survey, which was conducted May 20 and 21, found that only 26 percent of Republicans correctly identify the story as false.

In contrast, just 19 percent of Democrats believe the same spurious narrative about the Microsoft founder and public-health philanthropist. A majority of Democrats recognize that it’s not true.

As states relax their lockdown restrictions and responsibility for containing the coronavirus shifts, in part, to the American people, the vast gap between the right and the left over Gates reflects a growing problem: the dangerous, destabilizing tendency to ignore fundamental facts about the deadly pathogen in favor of misinformation peddled by partisans, including President Trump, and spread on social media.

That tendency is more widespread on the right, although liberals also believe some false narratives (including that COVID-19 deaths have already surged in states that were quick to reopen).

The new Yahoo News/YouGov poll found that this “choose your own reality” effect is distorting perceptions of nearly every aspect of the pandemic, from reopening to vaccination to the official death toll. A broad majority of the public is either “very” (56 percent) or “somewhat” concerned (30 percent) about “false or misleading information being communicated about coronavirus.” That sentiment, at least, is not partisan: More than 80 percent of Democrats, Republicans and independents agree.

Yet blame for these concerns varies greatly by political affiliation. When Democrats are asked to select the top source of false or misleading information about the coronavirus, 56 percent pick the Trump administration; that number rises to 69 percent among Hillary Clinton voters. Republicans, however, point to the mainstream media (54 percent) as the primary culprit; 61 percent of Trump voters say likewise.

The result, in many cases, is two different sets of “facts” — only one of which resembles the truth.

Take the Gates example. Half of all Americans (50 percent) who name Fox News as their primary television news source believe the disproven conspiracy theory, and 44 percent of voters who cast ballots for Trump in 2016 do as well — even though neither Fox nor Trump has promoted it. At the same time, just 15 percent of MSNBC viewers and 12 percent of Clinton voters say the story is true.

The spread of such an outlandish charge may seem silly, but it could have catastrophic consequences. Through his namesake foundation, the tech billionaire has long championed vaccines in developing countries. So far, he has committed $300 million to combating the coronavirus. If large portions of the public believe that Gates’s intent is nefarious — and if they go on to convince themselves that any coronavirus vaccine will be dangerous — then many may refuse to get vaccinated. (There is a parallel sentiment among some evangelicals to resist vaccination out of fear it would constitute the “mark of the beast” mentioned in the Book of Revelation.)

The more people refuse to get vaccinated, the harder it becomes to end the pandemic.

Fitting that microchip through the needle will be a challenge, but the good news is that we will be constantly mentally prompted on what is on sale on the next grocery aisle.

Frankly, I don't buy the 44% number. NFW,

My office is right next to the courthouse, county offices, loads of restaurants and high rises (for a midwestern city) and we opened back up this past monday: restaurants etc. it is totally dead. like a ghost town. people are permitted to go out but are choosing not to. if things don't change in the coming weeks (not months), i agree it's going to get really ugly.

Took about a week. Just needed a trigger. The entire country is in flames. Apparently everyone from mayor up to President waits until everything is burned to ashes to respond. Don't see how you put this cat back in the bag. It's not a spigot you just turned off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT