ADVERTISEMENT

Early Roster Review

Battimi

Senior
Apr 26, 2002
This has been a fun team to watch. If they can stay healthy and improve we will be playing in the 2nd weekend of the NCAA. Just some opinions on the roster...

TJD - His improvement has come from his hustle and intensity. His shot looks better, but so far he has not used or needed it much. I do not see him becoming automatic from 15 feet like DJ White but he has improved. Shout out to DJ, one of my all-time favorites, for giving us 4 years in the midst of crazy turmoil. He shined. Thanks DJ.

Race - I think he has shown improvement in all areas of his game. I am looking forward to seeing some in-season growth. I like him expanding his game and I think his shot is better than his % from outside the paint. If that can we a weapon I would love to see some high/low with TJD.

Xavier - As he goes this year, we will go. When we face tough opponents who have big guards who can pressure X will be the key to the game for us. He needs to stay out of foul trouble. I love his strong drives to the hoop for the bucket or the dish. I would like to see him limit his shot to wide open looks and make the extra pass on the perimeter. If he can stay out of foul trouble and be a pass first guy who can get to the rim when the offense breaks down - we will be tough to stop. Must limit TOs.

Tamar - This kid is fun to watch. Love his game. Less athletic but more polished than Oladipo was a freshman. I'll be surprised if we can keep him 3 years ala Vic. Bring him along slowly but there is a chance we all want the ball in his hands at the end of the game come March.

Jordan - I think he has the highest upside on the team and that includes the guy above. I think he will have a game where he fills the stat sheet and it really propels him. He is waiting to explode. From my vantage point his shot looks solid and if he is taking it in flow of the offense - he is one of our best shooters. I would like to see Woody pull some film out of Calbert for him to study.

Parker - Bigger and stronger than I imagined. Had a great night the last time out. I want to see more. Hitting the spot up 3-ball is key, but I want to see some more all-around game from a guard/wing. He also has a lot of upside to make this team better than what we have seen as yet.

Kopp - He has had some moments, but I am more excited to see Tamar and Jordan out there in his spot. That said, if he can become automatic from 3 and hold his own on defense, he probably has to be out there 20-25 min per game. Funny guy - glad we have him and I hope he stays another year.

Galloway - I really like what I saw from him with his ball handling and the pace he played at before the injury. He was getting up and down. I hope he recovers and can be ready for the B10 in January. He is just another quality piece of the puzzle.

Leal - Very impressed with Leal in limited minutes. Cannot wait to see him develop at IU. I hope he has a 4-year run. So solid.

Lander - Impressed with his improvement. He was key in the last two games. He needs to get better with his off hand. Teams are playing that hard. He is being forced to look away from the basket and the players to avoid the pressure. It slows down our offense. This could be part of that too, but he dribbles too much on the perimeter when pressured and the offense can stand around watching too much.

Rob - Great depth. Glad he is on the team. I hope he stays and finishes his career at IU. He is reminding me of Chris Reynolds in his career arc at IU. Let's hope he makes the dunk when he gets the chance.

Big Mike - Seems out of shape and a little lost. Sounds like he has not played much since the summer. We are going to need him so I like him getting in some run. We are really going to need him! I want to see him bang and rebound and block a shot or two. Hopefully there is still time to get the rust off before the B10 opener.

Duncomb - I have not seen much. Not a great start to get suspended for the games you might actually see some PT! Clean it up big fella.

Childress - I could not have been more impressed in garbage time. He got boards, hit a shot and played under control. I really like what I saw. If this is our 14th man - we have some real depth!

This has been a fun team to watch. If they can stay healthy and improve we will be playing in the 2nd weekend of the NCAA. Just some opinions on the roster...

TJD - His improvement has come from his hustle and intensity. His shot looks better, but so far he has not used or needed it much. I do not see him becoming automatic from 15 feet like DJ White but he has improved. Shout out to DJ, one of my all-time favorites, for giving us 4 years in the midst of crazy turmoil. He shined. Thanks DJ.

Race - I think he has shown improvement in all areas of his game. I am looking forward to seeing some in-season growth. I like him expanding his game and I think his shot is better than his % from outside the paint. If that can we a weapon I would love to see some high/low with TJD.

Xavier - As he goes this year, we will go. When we face tough opponents who have big guards who can pressure X will be the key to the game for us. He needs to stay out of foul trouble. I love his strong drives to the hoop for the bucket or the dish. I would like to see him limit his shot to wide open looks and make the extra pass on the perimeter. If he can stay out of foul trouble and be a pass first guy who can get to the rim when the offense breaks down - we will be tough to stop. Must limit TOs.

Tamar - This kid is fun to watch. Love his game. Less athletic but more polished than Oladipo was a freshman. I'll be surprised if we can keep him 3 years ala Vic. Bring him along slowly but there is a chance we all want the ball in his hands at the end of the game come March.

Jordan - I think he has the highest upside on the team and that includes the guy above. I think he will have a game where he fills the stat sheet and it really propels him. He is waiting to explode. From my vantage point his shot looks solid and if he is taking it in flow of the offense - he is one of our best shooters. I would like to see Woody pull some film out of Calbert for him to study.

Parker - Bigger and stronger than I imagined. Had a great night the last time out. I want to see more. Hitting the spot up 3-ball is key, but I want to see some more all-around game from a guard/wing. He also has a lot of upside to make this team better than what we have seen as yet.

Kopp - He has had some moments, but I am more excited to see Tamar and Jordan out there in his spot. That said, if he can become automatic from 3 and hold his own on defense, he probably has to be out there 20-25 min per game. Funny guy - glad we have him and I hope he stays another year.

Galloway - I really like what I saw from him with his ball handling and the pace he played at before the injury. He was getting up and down. I hope he recovers and can be ready for the B10 in January. He is just another quality piece of the puzzle.

Leal - Very impressed with Leal in limited minutes. Cannot wait to see him develop at IU. I hope he has a 4-year run. So solid.

Lander - Impressed with his improvement. He was key in the last two games. He needs to get better with his off hand. Teams are playing that hard. He is being forced to look away from the basket and the players to avoid the pressure. It slows down our offense. This could be part of that too, but he dribbles too much on the perimeter when pressured and the offense can stand around watching too much.

Rob - Great depth. Glad he is on the team. I hope he stays and finishes his career at IU. He is reminding me of Chris Reynolds in his career arc at IU. Let's hope he makes the dunk when he gets the chance.

Big Mike - Seems out of shape and a little lost. Sounds like he has not played much since the summer. We are going to need him so I like him getting in some run. We are really going to need him! I want to see him bang and rebound and block a shot or two. Hopefully there is still time to get the rust off before the B10 opener.

Duncomb - I have not seen much. Not a great start to get suspended for the games you might actually see some PT! Clean it up big fella.

Childress - I could not have been more impressed in garbage time. He got boards, hit a shot and played under control. I really like what I saw. If this is our 14th man - we have some real depth!
haven't been too impressed with kopp so far but it's early. wanna see more of geronimo, bates and lander.

haven't been too impressed with kopp so far but it's early. wanna see more of geronimo, bates and lander.
That's going to happen, Leal and Durr as well. Really hope the big man's struggles are more a function of limited practice time, readjusting to the bright lights and/or the weight of expectations than a lack of aptitude. Go get 'em Michael.

That's going to happen, Leal and Durr as well. Really hope the big man's struggles are more a function of limited practice time, readjusting to the bright lights and/or the weight of expectations than a lack of aptitude. Go get 'em Michael.
i think durr's gonna be fine. his job is to give tjd a breather, rebound and play defense. any points he gets are icing on the cake.

Nice to see TJD use hi right hand a couple of times in the first 4 games!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT