ADVERTISEMENT

Early on, we are 19th in the RPI going into tonight's game...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
It's way too early to be concerned about this since the season is just getting started, but I thought it would be interesting to see where things are early on. At this early point, a win or two or a loss or two can dramatically affect these rankings, and it also depends among other things on the strength of the team we are playing. There are a lot of teams that have played more games than us, and as expected they are primarily in the South, Southwest, and West Coast. In previous seasons, we have played a fairly tough nonconference schedule which has helped us in this area, but obviously, that's out the window this season.

2021 College Baseball RPI (Live) | WarrenNolan.com

It's way too early to be concerned about this since the season is just getting started, but I thought it would be interesting to see where things are early on. At this early point, a win or two or a loss or two can dramatically affect these rankings, and it also depends among other things on the strength of the team we are playing. There are a lot of teams that have played more games than us, and as expected they are primarily in the South, Southwest, and West Coast. In previous seasons, we have played a fairly tough nonconference schedule which has helped us in this area, but obviously, that's out the window this season.

2021 College Baseball RPI (Live) | WarrenNolan.com
Thanks B1G. This sure shapes up to be the year the conf commish screws IU at every opportunity.

Thanks B1G. This sure shapes up to be the year the conf commish screws IU at every opportunity.
Other conferences seem to have no problem scheduling out-of-conference games. Both the SEC and the Big 12 are playing out-of-conference games, and even the Pac-12, which followed the B1G's lead in football by playing only conference teams, is playing out-of-conference teams. I believe the ACC is staying in conference, at least they have so far. I just don't see how it's safe to play B1G games, but not non-Big teams.

Reactions: mk23 and Radio Zero
Other conferences seem to have no problem scheduling out-of-conference games. Both the SEC and the Big 12 are playing out-of-conference games, and even the Pac-12, which followed the B1G's lead in football by playing only conference teams, is playing out-of-conference teams. I believe the ACC is staying in conference, at least they have so far. I just don't see how it's safe to play B1G games, but not non-Big teams.
It allows the BIG to create a sort of bubble. Look, some teams didn’t play this weekend because of COVID issues already. West Virginia, Xavier for example. BC adjusted and picked up playing Auburn, Kent State ended up going to Mississippi State. Changing plans like this is a logistical and financial anomaly for some these programs considering the planing that already in place before the season starts.

The BIG has decided to go the bubble route, it certainly will help BIG schools out financially as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT