ADVERTISEMENT

Doody signs to Chicago Fire

snowling

Hall of Famer
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- The Chicago Fire Soccer Club announced today they have signed Indiana defender Patrick Doody as the club's sixth Homegrown Player. Doody is a Fire Academy and PDL alum.

"I am extremely grateful and honored with the opportunity the Fire have given me," Doody said. "I have been going to Toyota Park since I was 15 in hopes of one day walking into the stadium as a professional. It is a special feeling knowing now that I can do that."

Doody wrapped his four-year career with the Hoosiers in November, spending the 2014 season as team captain. He started all 22 matches his senior year, scoring a career-high four goals along with a team-best five assists as Indiana posted a 12-5-5 record with seven shutouts. Doody had the game-winning goals against Dartmouth, UCF and No. 1 Notre Dame.

"We are very excited to have Patrick sign with the Chicago Fire," said Indiana head coach Todd Yeagley. "Patrick has worked very hard to earn this opportunity to play professionally for his hometown club. Patrick left a great mark at IU. He helped us win a National Championship and was a great teammate through his leadership, work rate and fantastic attitude.

"We were pleased to see Patrick graduate last week with high marks and we know he will continue to have success as he begins a new and exciting chapter in his life."

In total Doody made 83 appearances in the Cream and Crimson, starting 64 of those matches. The December 2014 Indiana graduate was also a standout in the classroom, earning academic All-Big Ten accolades.

Doody becomes just the second player in Indiana history to sign a Homegrown Player contract with Major League Soccer, joining San Jose Earthquake's Tommy Thompson who became the first IU Homegrown signing last season.

Media Contact:
Melanie Schneider (ms48@indiana.edu)

Go Hoosiers!

via Varsity Club

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT