ADVERTISEMENT

Dolson

CC Mac

All-Big Ten
Aug 19, 2002
During the hiring process was a list of candidates that was interviewed other than Cig ever released?
Just curious,I know there was a lot of speculation but wasn’t sure if those names were ever verified.
He obviously made the right decision.

During the hiring process was a list of candidates that was interviewed other than Cig ever released?
Just curious,I know there was a lot of speculation but wasn’t sure if those names were ever verified.
He obviously made the right decision.
I don’t think IU, nor any school, ever officially confirms who it was that they interviewed. A lot of the stuff comes from leaked info.
My understanding is that the following did get interviews:

Jason Candle -Toledo
Tom Hermann- FAU
Mike Hart - Michigan assistant
Justin Frye - OSU assistant

I think those had the strongest info circulating that they did interview here.

I don’t think IU, nor any school, ever officially confirms who it was that they interviewed. A lot of the stuff comes from leaked info.

Jason Candle -Toledo
Tom Hermann- FAU

I am glad you they did hire as coach Cignetti will continue to change IUFB into a top team in the B1G.

Jason Candle -Toledo
Tom Hermann- FAU

Ok thanks,I do remember a couple of those names being mentioned.

Reactions: red hornet
I had no idea how little Kevin Wilson and Tom Allen knew about the other side of the ball even after years of being a head coach at Indiana. CCC has made me a believer in relevant experience.
It is very odd that neither of them knew diddly about the other side of the ball. I found it odd then and still do. It's a MAJOR reason they both lost games...

It is very odd that neither of them knew diddly about the other side of the ball. I found it odd then and still do. It's a MAJOR reason they both lost games...
Hiring a coordinator with no significant head coaching experience is a roll of the dice, and there are going to be growing pains: we know. See Purdue, lol. It takes 3-4 years to see if they can grow into the job and be a decent coach. Allen and Wilson were very coordinator dependent for the other side of the ball.

Hiring a coordinator with no significant head coaching experience is a roll of the dice, and there are going to be growing pains: we know. See Purdue, lol. It takes 3-4 years to see if they can grow into the job and be a decent coach. Allen and Wilson were very coordinator dependent for the other side of the ball.
Which makes the Walt Bell hiring even more mind-boggling - if that is even possible.

Jason Candle -Toledo
Tom Hermann- FAU

I don think that list is accurate at all.

For once the timing worked perfectly for IU. Cignetti and JMU were getting buzz right about the time IU fired Allen and Dolson jumped on it. I believe JMU was on GameDay about a week or so before IU hired him. Now, if only basketball could have such great timing with coaching hires.

Which makes the Walt Bell hiring even more mind-boggling - if that is even possible.
Supposedly he was a good at interviews.
For once the timing worked perfectly for IU. Cignetti and JMU were getting buzz right about the time IU fired Allen and Dolson jumped on it. I believe JMU was on GameDay about a week or so before IU hired him. Now, if only basketball could have such great timing with coaching hires.
IU needs to break away from the Knight coaching tree.

• Love
Supposedly Dolson had a bunch of zoom interviews but by Wednesday he only had one in person interview and that was with Cig. It was done after that first zoom and I think they focused in on him really quick. So yeah they had candidates but Cig was the guy from the start. They had an agreement very fast from what I remember.

Supposedly Dolson had a bunch of zoom interviews but by Wednesday he only had one in person interview and that was with Cig. It was done after that first zoom and I think they focused in on him really quick. So yeah they had candidates but Cig was the guy from the start. They had an agreement very fast from what I remember.
It was a quick zoom meeting - Cig just said, google me.

I think Wilson was handcuffed financially. With a competent defensive staff that was adequately paid, he could have done some damage had he been able to stay around long enough.

I don think that list is accurate at all.
Frye and Hart definitely interviewed. Believe Paul Chryst interviewed as well and Jason Candle's name was floated around along with Ryan Silverman (Memphis HC) but not sure if the latter two ever officially interviewed. I believe Pat Fitzgerald was Dolson's initial target but was quickly shot down by President Whitten.

It sounds like Dolson isn’t expecting Cignetti to leave after this season.

That's all well and good but he talked mostly about infrastructure. What I want to know is IU going to pony up the funds to keep coach CIG and his staff here? It's going to cost a lot, because everyone and his brother's coming after him. Coach CIG and his staff ARE the infrastructure.

Frye and Hart definitely interviewed. Believe Paul Chryst interviewed as well and Jason Candle's name was floated around along with Ryan Silverman (Memphis HC) but not sure if the latter two ever officially interviewed. I believe Pat Fitzgerald was Dolson's initial target but was quickly shot down by President Whitten.
I saw an article that said they only did one in person. (Cig)The rest were zoom interviews. All about an hour long. Cig was the one that really stood out.

I don’t fully believe Wilson had a single clue about defensive football or even an all-around solid game plan. That hurry up and punt offense cost his team way more games than it won him. Defense would battle but give up long scoring drives. We’d go hyper speed for 3 plays and use about 35 seconds of clock before punting it back to around midfield. No defense in the world could make that work.

I saw an article that said they only did one in person. (Cig)The rest were zoom interviews. All about an hour long. Cig was the one that really stood out.
Hart and Frye were zoom interviews as they were still in season. No clue on Chryst or what his employment status was at the time. Rod Carey may have gotten a token interview as well now that I recollect.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT