ADVERTISEMENT

Do you think Juwan realizes how beloved he is going to be?

Apr 8, 2006
To me, he has exceeded expectations as a player and as a person. From where I sit, he seems to be a very good person. And at this point I think it is safe to say a very good basketball player. As a fan, I couldn't be more proud of him and will forever be thankful he chose IU. It seems fitting that next year we surround him by players that will help him get some nice accolades. I expect his numbers to dip some since he is a team player and if the other guys are capable he will allow them to shine also. These are traits that IU fans appreciate and I expect them to acknowledge for a very long time. Thanks Juwan!

To me, he has exceeded expectations as a player and as a person. From where I sit, he seems to be a very good person. And at this point I think it is safe to say a very good basketball player. As a fan, I couldn't be more proud of him and will forever be thankful he chose IU. It seems fitting that next year we surround him by players that will help him get some nice accolades. I expect his numbers to dip some since he is a team player and if the other guys are capable he will allow them to shine also. These are traits that IU fans appreciate and I expect them to acknowledge for a very long time. Thanks Juwan!
It will take time for him to realize how he will be remembered and appreciated by the fans.

Hope he comes back. Two constant threats to keeping team together in NCAA now are (1) NBA early and (2) graduate transfers. Hope he is not on path to graduate this spring or summer, particularly, with the rise of the Missouri program.

Well, if he went to Missouri I'd say the appreciation for him here would probably take a hit. Honestly, I feel he is not NBA ready and feel he is probably aware of that. Hopefully that becomes obvious if/when he tests the water.

He's turned into one of my favorite all time players. He's really almost maximizing his potential.

How can we say what is stupid for Juwan?
You say this - but you also said a couple posts back you "Hope he is not on path to graduate this spring or summer"?

Your and my definitions of "stupid" are vastly different.

You say this - but you also said a couple posts back you "Hope he is not on path to graduate this spring or summer"?

Your and my definitions of "stupid" are vastly different.
I was being a selfish Hoosier basketball fan when hoping for no early graduation.

Doing either would be stupid, and Juwan's not stupid.
How can we say what is stupid for Juwan?
He's not (yet) NBA ready, and there's no upside to a transfer. Sure, he should do what's best for him, but there's no set of circumstances I can imagine that would make it better for him to go pro or transfer than to stay for his Senior year. Unless he's just stupid. Which he's not.

Fans tend to idolize the players from the years IU has been great but JM fits in with those players. A joy to watch particularly since he has had to learn a new system and play out of position.

He has bought in, worked his ass off, gotten better and been a good citizen.

I hope he comes back, but I get it if he doesn't he is one of that group of kids I will always cherish as an alumni and fan. Part of the long red line.

Hoping he comes back to lead the team and help take them back to the NCAA tournament. He was very limited when they went as a freshman due to injury and these past two years have been beyond challenging. No matter what he decides, I'd support him. He's been a great representative of IU.

As for a possible NBA jump, I'm struggling to see it right now. Not sure what position he would play at that level. But I wouldn't count this kid out. He's shown a lot of heart and determination. He's right up there on my all-time favorites list just based on what he's done so far.

Sure, he should do what's best for him, but there's no set of circumstances I can imagine that would make it better for him to transfer than to stay for his Senior year. Unless he's just stupid. Which he's not.

Not big on imagination then - are all sorts of valid personal reasons he might have that should immunize him from judgements of "stupid".

Reactions: hondo314
Hope he comes back. Two constant threats to keeping team together in NCAA now are (1) NBA early and (2) graduate transfers. Hope he is not on path to graduate this spring or summer, particularly, with the rise of the Missouri program.
Missouri is a football school. IU is a basketball school. I would think that IU is the place for him if he is going to play his senior yr.

Last edited:
I doubt he would leave IU for another program. The way he has grown as a basketball player in one year under Coach Miller. I see him becoming a complete player in his Senior season.

I think Juwan has established himself well with the IU fan base and he will be remembered for his toughness, adaptability, and particularly his knack for finding a way to score against defenders who are taller and have more size. I will always remember the many times Juwan was able to score when it seemed there was no clear path to the bucket.

Reactions: channi

What would be his reasoning for transferring to Mizzou? Just to be closer to home? I mean I guess that could happen, but Mizzou offered him out of HS and he left. So why now?

Most Grad transfers happen for a better situation in exposure (ie if Sanford left Toledo for IU) or for more playing time (ie Bielfeldt only rec'd 14mpg at UM prior to transferring to IU. That was likely to go considerable down if he stayed.). JM is the top player on the team, would he not get playing time next year?

I just don't see the upside for him.

He's turned into one of my favorite all time players. He's really almost maximizing his potential.
Uhhhm . . Juwan has upside that he's not even working on this season so he can play effectively in the post this year. This summer if he works on his handle and midrange/outside shots, he has good room to develop as a 3 in addition to an undersized 4. With more size available next year, I can see Juwan taking another big step up by moving to the 3 a good bit of the time and showing some drives and mid-range and behind the arc shooting.

What's really amazing is how much better Juwan is with his post moves in comparison to pretty much anybody during the Crean era. Archie and staff have me pretty darned excited about big man development in the future . . . .

He was especially at his best in those NCAA tournament games, he seemed to really
step up when it mattered most

Juwan is going nowhere. He knows this is his team and he can win Big Ten POY next season.

What would be his reasoning for transferring to Mizzou? Just to be closer to home? I mean I guess that could happen, but Mizzou offered him out of HS and he left. So why now?

Most Grad transfers happen for a better situation in exposure (ie if Sanford left Toledo for IU) or for more playing time (ie Bielfeldt only rec'd 14mpg at UM prior to transferring to IU. That was likely to go considerable down if he stayed.). JM is the top player on the team, would he not get playing time next year?

I just don't see the upside for him.
Don't understand why kids do things, sometimes. The year Luke Recker left he lead the team in scoring and minutes played.

Next seasons D J White. I’ll let you fill in the blank who next year‘s Eric Gordon is

Don't understand why kids do things, sometimes. The year Luke Recker left he lead the team in scoring and minutes played.

You seriously don't understand why he left after everything came out about Knight? The place had become toxic.

Uhhhm . . Juwan has upside that he's not even working on this season so he can play effectively in the post this year. This summer if he works on his handle and midrange/outside shots, he has good room to develop as a 3 in addition to an undersized 4. With more size available next year, I can see Juwan taking another big step up by moving to the 3 a good bit of the time and showing some drives and mid-range and behind the arc shooting.

What's really amazing is how much better Juwan is with his post moves in comparison to pretty much anybody during the Crean era. Archie and staff have me pretty darned excited about big man development in the future . . . .
Cream never played him in the post. Unreal.

God our fanbase is paranoid and has such a chicken little complex now. It's like we've become the PU fanbase! A team leader who has 3 years invested in the program, has progressed like JM has and a great shot at B10POY, isn't transferring just cause his home state school is possibly back on the college bball map. If he did, there are bigger or extenuating circumstances. Not saying it isn't within the realm of possibility, but so is him getting struck by lightning, so there's that to worry about too!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT