ADVERTISEMENT

Do you have a list of businesses you refuse to patronize?

I can't recall ever withholding my patronage from a business for political reasons. Not because I think it's a bad idea, just because I can't be bothered to put in that kind of personal effort to make the world better. But I've allowed singular bad service experiences to permanently end my relationship with a company on multiple occasions. I specifically remember a wine company I had for a while. I really liked their products. I signed up with them primarily because they were the regional distributor for the Orin Swift wines (famous as the maker of The Prisoner). But, when my rep gave his 30 days notice to take a retail job, his boss fired him, and I didn't get a visit or a delivery for a month. When they assigned me a new rep, I told him to get lost. Hated losing those wines, but it is what it is.

I can't recall ever withholding my patronage from a business for political reasons. Not because I think it's a bad idea, just because I can't be bothered to put in that kind of personal effort to make the world better. But I've allowed singular bad service experiences to permanently end my relationship with a company on multiple occasions. I specifically remember a wine company I had for a while. I really liked their products. I signed up with them primarily because they were the regional distributor for the Orin Swift wines (famous as the maker of The Prisoner). But, when my rep gave his 30 days notice to take a retail job, his boss fired him, and I didn't get a visit or a delivery for a month. When they assigned me a new rep, I told him to get lost. Hated losing those wines, but it is what it is.
Plus, you have to research who owns them and who they own. With corporate structure it's almost impossible to withhold business from anyone. I've boycotted all pro sports, all football beyond HS. That was easy.

I've tried my hardest to make sure Monsanto doesn't get a cent from me. I wish I could do the same to Dow, DuPont and a few others but it's impossible. you cannot go through a day without giving Dow and DuPont money. Even guys that live in cabins in complete isolation will eventually buy something from them.

Plus, you have to research who owns them and who they own. With corporate structure it's almost impossible to withhold business from anyone. I've boycotted all pro sports, all football beyond HS. That was easy.

I've tried my hardest to make sure Monsanto doesn't get a cent from me. I wish I could do the same to Dow, DuPont and a few others but it's impossible. you cannot go through a day without giving Dow and DuPont money. Even guys that live in cabins in complete isolation will eventually buy something from them.
I used to limit myself only to local organic produce, which pretty much cuts out Big Ag by default, but it was too expensive. Maybe once my practice picks up, I'll work at it again, but right now I eat what I can afford, and just pretend not to know where it comes from.

The only brand I refuse completely is BP. I never liked how they handled the whole disaster in the gulf and they will never see another dollar from me. There's other places that I reluctantly go such as Walmart and McDonald's, but they haven't been completely blacklisted.

What's on your list?

Walmart is the only one. I am tired of subsidizing the wealth of the Walton clan. Over half of their employees are on public aid because of the sh*** wages and benefits they pay.

Love the Prisoner. Buy it at Costco all the time. Saw it on a wine list this past Saturday for about $70 more than the price at Costco.

I used to limit myself only to local organic produce, which pretty much cuts out Big Ag by default, but it was too expensive. Maybe once my practice picks up, I'll work at it again, but right now I eat what I can afford, and just pretend not to know where it comes from.

We do as much as we can. We grow. We buy local as much as possible but even doing that you are most likely giving Monsanto money. Big chemical is the devil.

Reactions: Cream&Crimson
Cotton clothes as an example. Can't buy them without giving Monsanto money. So you do what you can.

Last edited:
Love the Prisoner. Buy it at Costco all the time. Saw it on a wine list this past Saturday for about $70 more than the price at Costco.
I think I sold it for $100 back in the day, which was considered pretty cheap for a nice restaurant, but I sold all my good wine a little cheaper than others. Clos du Val SLD and SLWC Fay both for $120, for example. Other people would tell me I was crazy for selling them so cheap, but I'd point out the fact that they actually moved at those prices, and other restaurants were sitting on the same bottle for over a year because they were asking $160.

Anyway, The Prisoner is well worth whatever the common list price is these days. I'm guessing about $40 at Costco maybe? Also very good is Abstract, which is Orin Swift's introductory level wine. I think it retails about $25 or 30.

Walmart is the only one. I am tired of subsidizing the wealth of the Walton clan. Over half of their employees are on public aid because of the sh*** wages and benefits they pay.

and the entire place is a pure hell hole.

Cotton clothes as an example. Can't buy them with giving Monsanto money. So you do what you can.
Next year I'll be growing a lot more produce, and I'm going to be converting one of the extra bedrooms into a greenhouse, so I can grow throughout the year. That will help. But, yeah, you can't avoid them entirely.

I boycott Jimmy John's because their owner is one of those guys that pays to murder endangered animals. I can find another place to get a sandwich where the owner doesn't use the money to shoot rhinos and giraffes.

Reactions: 1987Grad
Next year I'll be growing a lot more produce, and I'm going to be converting one of the extra bedrooms into a greenhouse, so I can grow throughout the year. That will help. But, yeah, you can't avoid them entirely.
We're working on solar panels. Wanted them this year. Hopefully next. Going to start with two to three panels and add more as we go.

Reactions: iubolt
I think I sold it for $100 back in the day, which was considered pretty cheap for a nice restaurant, but I sold all my good wine a little cheaper than others. Clos du Val SLD and SLWC Fay both for $120, for example. Other people would tell me I was crazy for selling them so cheap, but I'd point out the fact that they actually moved at those prices, and other restaurants were sitting on the same bottle for over a year because they were asking $160.

Anyway, The Prisoner is well worth whatever the common list price is these days. I'm guessing about $40 at Costco maybe? Also very good is Abstract, which is Orin Swift's introductory level wine. I think it retails about $25 or 30.
$40 is about right. They also have the Saldo but I'm not a big fan. Haven't tried the Abstract.

I was at Oakley's in Indy at they had Prisoner for about $107.

Aldi because the food sucks and don't have self checkout. Applebee's, Wings Etc, Pizza Hut because their food sucks and makes me sick more times than not.

Aldi because the food sucks and don't have self checkout. Applebee's, Wings Etc, Pizza Hut because their food sucks and makes me sick more times than not.
Aldi actually is decent quality and good prices, on some things like olive oil, cheese, etc. The owner of Aldi is the brother of the owner of Trader Joe's.

Reactions: OldChargey
Aldi actually is decent quality and good prices, on some things like olive oil, cheese, etc. The owner of Aldi is the brother of the owner of Trader Joe's.
The meat and produce are a joke. The customer service experience is awful. No you can't have a cart or bags for free. No you can't use you credit card. No you can't self checkout. I stop in for a gallon of milk because I am shopping next door and can't get out of place in less than 20 minutes because of the lousy checkout setup. I do much better price and quality wise at Meijer.

The meat and produce are a joke. The customer service experience is awful. No you can't have a cart or bags for free. No you can't use you credit card. No you can't self checkout. I stop in for a gallon of milk because I am shopping next door and can't get out of place in less than 20 minutes because of the lousy checkout setup. I do much better price and quality wise at Meijer.
The reason behind this is to keep prices as low as possible. They run a very lean machine with no extra expenses. I believe they pay 100% cash for all properties and have no debt. I believe this was the truth when I looked at a management job there in the early 2000's.

Used to be Moon Dog on North Side of Indy. When new ownership took over this past Spring it went straight downhill. Now it's Sinking Ship 2 and I thought I would give it a chance but heard it's same people just different name. Never again will step inside that place.

holy chit what are you talking about? apparently i missed something and might be better off not knowing.

no, i just can't stand them there. at one point refused to allow my friends to leave. they literally stood in front of the door. complete a-holes. refused to give them their car key back after checking it to see how much it would be worth on trade in. list goes on and on with that

Dont forget their ridiculous commercials
I hate those

The only brand I refuse completely is BP. I never liked how they handled the whole disaster in the gulf and they will never see another dollar from me. There's other places that I reluctantly go such as Walmart and McDonald's, but they haven't been completely blacklisted.

What's on your list?
Hare Chevrolet

What's on your list?

Chic-Fil-A

I should probably add Long Johns Silvers just because it's disgusting food. I used to go there with my aunt when I was a kid. So as a young adult I recall driving home from northern IN and thought I'd hit the one in Kokomo for old times sake. I'm not sure how anyone can eat that fried food. It's totally gross. I will never go again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT